Best Sounding Game Console?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Best Sounding Game Console?

Post by Blades » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:01 am

I've noticed that, while there is many audio equipment on the shelves today, there is a shortage of pure audio CD players. So for listening to audio, I always used my old laserdisc player.

It sounded the best to me, and beat out any DVD player. But recently, I've started thinking. Video Game Consoles have specialized audio chips and equipment, so maybe they can do better.

My First try was with the Playstation, which I read had great audio quality, but unfortunately, my model (SCPH-75xx) didn't sound good AT ALL.

Next was my Sega CD. and to my surprise, it sounded GOOD. Very good, close to my LD player but still didn't beat it, it was about equal.

After that, I tried Saturn, but it was too bass-heavy (not in a good way, blocked out some trebles that way), some may appreciate it, but I don't.

Next was my Xbox, very average, good I guess.

After that was Dreamcast, same as saturn, very bass-heavy.

Since my 3DO FZ-1 is in the mail (it should come tommorow) what do you guys think?
What Has EA turned into...tsk tsk

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm

My LaserDisc player is by far the best one in my house. 3DO does do a good job though, and there is nothing wrong with the model of PSX, they all have poor audio. The only thing I can say beats any of my LD players is my Hi-MiniDisc recorder MZ-NH900.

Although you really can't count it since you have to convert CD's to MD but I've found I can here more in the songs played on the MD than I can straight off the CD. Has nothing to do with the way it changes the CD but that the hardware reading is also the hardware that created it. It's not really as simple as that but you get my meaning. Anyways you can compare all to your FZ-1 but you'll prob find that LD does the best out of what you have.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:57 am

The problem with playing cds in game systems and such is that they usually don't have an equalizer. So whatever the system is preset to is how it will always be. If you don't have the ability to at least adjust the bare minimum of bass, treble, etc then trying to find the perfect game system to play cds on will be very difficult and pretty subjective.

The only thing game systems ever really brought to the cd experience was some form of VLM. Maybe some of the newer systems have more going for them, but the only thing I ever play cds in anymore are my car and computer. Possibly systems with optical audio out would provide the best audio, of course still depending on the equalizer or lack of.

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:18 am

I never used equalizers because I prefer to listen to my cds exactly as the artist wanted me to...not with my little adjustments.

Of course that's just my opinion, I know plenty of people who think the opposite :D .

Blades
What Has EA turned into...tsk tsk

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:53 am

Blades wrote:I never used equalizers because I prefer to listen to my cds exactly as the artist wanted me to...not with my little adjustments.

Of course that's just my opinion, I know plenty of people who think the opposite :D .

Blades
Actually I completely agree with you!

My buddies are always telling me "durr man why don't you fiddle around with the equalizer settings man. It sounds so much better durr." It's just not natural. As a musician myself, I prefer to listen to music the way it was created.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:04 am

Graphic equalisers are best turned off for sure. They only take away - technically they cannot add.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:05 pm

i found equalizers are good for Cassette tapes, and ripped CD music from other people who dont really know how to rip good or you download a 56k album :D

the only things ive put CD music into was the Sega CD, CD-i and my DVD player, the Sega CD was the music cd that was sold for it :)
i cant really compare, i saw a thread on the DP forums saying the early Playstation models were the best

how does the CD-i stack up? has anyone tested it out for music? i only have it comming though my TV so all music kinda sounds like crap
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:44 am

My LD Player is awesoem. I just love the sound quality they put out. People take away from the technology too much. I still think LD's themselves sound better than DVD's. Uncompressed Audio, it's awesoem!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!