No. Leave it pure.
47%

Total votes: 17

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Shrink wrapped games...?

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Should I open 'em?

The reason I ask is that I got a copy of Microcosm, still shrink wrapped. I'm sure there is a billion of them out there but...

Last time I asked it was a copy of Blue Forest Story. And the vote went for opening it. A decision I still regret. Microcosm is however different. It isn't rare and it isn't desireable.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Hell no!!!That would be a crime. Personally i try to collect all 3DO games sealed! :D

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm

Open it. Why the hell not?
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Well I vote you leave it unopened, (ducks for what he's bout to say) but legally you own the game, there's no reason why you can't have a "backup" that you use. that way you can have the best of both worlds

but even if you don't go that way, its getting harder & harder to find unopened games of any type i vote you keep it sealed
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm

Me and unholy have more in common than he would admit too. ;)

It was made in Liverpool you know. Cultural center of Britian. (Jesus H Christ - what has this country come too...Liverpool?)

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:40 pm

Open that shit up! It is like a time warp when I open up new games.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:52 pm

i voted rip it open, that was before i thought about it more :)
i have a sealed Drug Wars i want to play it but i also dont want to open it :D
i also have It's A Birds Life still sealed, but thats because i dont have any interest to put it in my 3DO
and about 10 others but they are games i played alot before or games i had as CD only and i got a sealed copy later

is this a game you like and would play? since you reviewed it maybe leave it sealed :D
Maybe it was the hysteria Microcosm received before it was released. It's gonna be good. It's gonna be good. It's gonna be good. It's gonna be good. It is on 3DO. It is on Sega CD. It is on CD32. It's gonna be good.

Then it wasn't.
Perhaps some deep psychological part of me still believes 'It's gonna be good'.
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:05 am

then again

it could be the inner child in us all that LOVES getting new things to open up & play with, doesn't matter if its 10 days old or 10 years old, its new & we know we can play with it so we want to open it

Aside from my first suggestion (and i still say you shouldn't open it) and trust me i know exactly how you feel, as I have a copy of Stellar 7 hanging on my wall still with the plastic on it, and every day I think "i should open it" ..but I know deep down that if i do, I have a very good chance of never finding it in that shape again, I can always buy a used cd to play the game (i had it before & don't remember it being all that good) ..so if you don't want to open it, the best thing to do is stash it somewhere in your collections black hole box & leave it be

that way in like 30 years when you've forgotten about it & the 3DO is THE thing to collect & make bank on you can go sell it for a down payment on a house (hey we can dream can't we)
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:09 am

...grr. I'm wrestling with this. (and not just the cellophane!)

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:47 am

Shrinkwrap is worthless and adds nothing to the game. I have purchased numerous games where the ancient shrinkwrap has either begun shrinking further, crushing the box or turned yellow and stuck to the box, damaging it upon removal. The plastic is more likely to damage your box than add any value whatsoever to the game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:16 am

I've read on your blog that you already have multiple copies of this game ... so why are you wrestling with the choice? :? Leave it in the shrinkwrap and play Novastorm instead! 8)

thornton_s
3DO ZERO USER

Post by thornton_s » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Just out of curiosity how do you know the wrappings are original and not resealed. I always prefer to open them and make sure everything is in there and 100% working. (Can you imagine paying a huge amount of money for a sealed game only to find in 20 years there was nothing in there)

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:34 am

Open it, copy it, rewrap it. Everyone on ebay is doing it. :evil:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I now have a copy of Dragon Tycoon Edge. Made worse by the fact the packing has a nice gold coloured seal on it... It looks lovely.... :(

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 pm

If the gold colored seal is the plastic wrap, I don't think it was originally gold, lol. Just open it up. That plastic is detrimental to your enjoyment of the game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Here's an old poll worth re-visiting .... vote an comment if you missed it years ago.

I'm all for opened games ... I can't wait to rip the shrink wrap off!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I voted to open it. If/when i buy sealed games its more to get as minty fresh as possible, and you dont always have to pay premium for it sealed, so sometimes i do.

I do however open it carefully with a thin modelling knife, if its a box that allows for it, say certain 3DO games, but in particular nintendo cardboard boxes and similar. I keep my games out of direct sunlight, so the thin plastic do provide some protection against shelf ware etc..

Games are meant to be opened and played, not sealed up like an old mummy!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am

Years ago I used to be of the mindest that you should keep the games sealed. Now I say open 'em. Games are meant to be played!

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I had the same issue when I re-purchased Escape From Monster Manor as that was sealed too! I wanted to open it and play it again, but it was sealed, so I was questioning whether I should open it or leave it sealed, but then I remembered why I bought it...to play it!

I also notice that over here in the UK there is a store called PoundLand. They have a range of Replay CDs which is their way of saying pre-owned, but you will notice that it has been re-stored to its best possible condition including re-sealing them. So my point is that if CDs can be re-sealed, then so can 3DO games.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 am

You know, aside from two very common Japanese Saturn games, I've never stumbled on a shrink-wrapped game for sale.

That said, my standing philosophy is to always open them. If I ever found a game that made me think "Oh no, I couldn't possibly open a shrink-wrapped copy of that game" - and I find it hard to imagine this ever happening - then I wouldn't buy it. Better to leave it for someone with the guts to tear it open and play it, or at least keep it dusted and inside a secure display case.