All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Mobius

3DO in the news (sort of)

Post by Mobius » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:36 am

I found this pretty interesting:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=14681
E3 Exclusive: EA Never Saying Never To A New Hardware Platform

Speaking with Gamasutra, EA’s new executive vice president and general manager of North American publishing, Frank Gibeau, asked whether the company would ever partner to make a hardware platform again as it did with 3DO, answered with a surprisingly positive “never say never.”

“I worked on (the 3DO),” began Gibeau, “and I’d never say never. I was a product manager on some of the titles, like Shockwave, and Road Rash, so I was part of that team, building the games, so I’m really familiar with what happened."

"I think the challenge that we had with 3DO was platform positioning," he continued. "It was the Swiss Army knife of hardware, and we weren’t really sure what it was supposed to do. I think when we look at our business, what’s vitally important to us is the entertainment and customer connection.”

Clarifying his point, Gibeau continued: “So if there were things like peripherals, sure. We’ve got Boogie coming out with a microphone, and there’s Rock Band. When you look at a fully nailed platform – it’s possible, I wouldn’t say it’s in our top 5 priorities right now, but never say never. We’ll look at any way of presenting what we want to do.”
It's cool to see someone involved with the 3DO isn't completely jaded by the experience!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO in the news (sort of)

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 am

Mobius wrote:I found this pretty interesting:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=14681
E3 Exclusive: EA Never Saying Never To A New Hardware Platform

Speaking with Gamasutra, EA’s new executive vice president and general manager of North American publishing, Frank Gibeau, asked whether the company would ever partner to make a hardware platform again as it did with 3DO, answered with a surprisingly positive “never say never.”

“I worked on (the 3DO),” began Gibeau, “and I’d never say never. I was a product manager on some of the titles, like Shockwave, and Road Rash, so I was part of that team, building the games, so I’m really familiar with what happened."

"I think the challenge that we had with 3DO was platform positioning," he continued. "It was the Swiss Army knife of hardware, and we weren’t really sure what it was supposed to do. I think when we look at our business, what’s vitally important to us is the entertainment and customer connection.”

Clarifying his point, Gibeau continued: “So if there were things like peripherals, sure. We’ve got Boogie coming out with a microphone, and there’s Rock Band. When you look at a fully nailed platform – it’s possible, I wouldn’t say it’s in our top 5 priorities right now, but never say never. We’ll look at any way of presenting what we want to do.”
It's cool to see someone involved with the 3DO isn't completely jaded by the experience!
True that, but it's the Electronic Arts of today! They really are a shitty company these days. I have really grown to hate them even more than I hate Microsoft. They would really need to do some work to improve their reputations with the current gameing market before I would even look at them sideways. With Sony in the toppeling position they are in right now though, it would be the prime time to release a console as you would have a better chance at getting some recognition.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:22 am

what the hell is that guy talking about? is he stoned or something?

he might not be jaded but i dont think he will do anything for the 3do

unless he lets a small company that wants to make a name do it because EA is in the crapper in my book
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 am

Huh? He's not saying he'd do anything for the 3DO. He's saying he's open to the idea of EA partnering with a manufacturer to support a hardware platform.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:06 am

Mobius wrote:Huh? He's not saying he'd do anything for the 3DO. He's saying he's open to the idea of EA partnering with a manufacturer to support a hardware platform.
ahh ok i just re-read it, i must have skipped some words
the way i read it, it sounded like he was talking about making stuff for the 3do system

also i really shouldnt stay up for 32 hours straight and read anything :D
time for bed night
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:17 am

In line with what Lemmi said originally.

They should release the completed version of Wing Commander IV they have squirrelled away for the 3DO.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:10 pm

3DOKid wrote:In line with what Lemmi said originally.

They should release the completed version of Wing Commander IV they have squirrelled away for the 3DO.
I never really understood why companies would sit on completely finished games. I'm sure they do a cost-benefit analysis and decide it's best to not release it, but I have trouble understanding it. The expensive part is done and the money is already sunk. Do they really think they won't sell enough to recoup printing, packaging, and shipping costs?