US region Sanyo TRY 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

US region Sanyo TRY 3DO

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 pm

They never made one, but its quite easy to change it yourself. Just remove the Kanji ROM chip, and youre done.

Will post a couple pics soon.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Re: US region Sanyo TRY 3DO

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Maps 'O Death working now, which wont work on Japan region:

The opening BIOS screen:

The chip that holds the Kanji font is what needs to be removed:

The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Is it socket based or did you need to reheat all the solder to pull it off?

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:35 am

Used my hot air rework station to remove it, takes about a minute or so to remove. The longest part is pulling the machine apart and putting it back together.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 am

Neat. Seems like it would redundant though considering US 3DO consoles are fairly common. I wouldn't want to mess with something less common like the TRY. But, hey, at least we know it works now.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:25 am

Austin wrote:Neat. Seems like it would redundant though considering US 3DO consoles are fairly common. I wouldn't want to mess with something less common like the TRY. But, hey, at least we know it works now.
They might be in America, but theyre not common anywhere else, the most common here in Australia are Euro and Japan consoles.

I know it is widely claimed theyre region free as well, but theyre not always, the Japan and Euro regions wont run a few games i have here, and the gun does not work with any PAL version.

Its not like this cant be reversed in 5 minutes, but either way its zero loss by changing a Sanyo to US region anyway.

And its not like as if the Sanyo is any more sought after than any other 3DO is it!

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 am

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:And its not like as if the Sanyo is any more sought after than any other 3DO is it!
They typically sell for more, so that always equated to me as being more sought after than other models.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Typically the "asking price" is more, it's buyer's call if they pay that, i paid under $150 Australian Dollars for mine delivered, complete boxed and pretty much as new. That was not long ago either.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:40 am

Austin wrote:Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)
Well its very little to do with that, i bought it from Japan on ebay! Anyone couldve done the same ;)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 am

I can also now confirm that this chip removal works on the early version of the FZ-10.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 am

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Austin wrote:Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)
Well its very little to do with that, i bought it from Japan on ebay! Anyone couldve done the same ;)
Really? OK, in that case I guess you got lucky then. Everything I see from Japan is $150 - $200 before shipping (then tack another $80 on for that). Ugh. :(

Can't wait to get some funds freed up so I can sign up for a middle man service and start using Yahoo Auctions Japan.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:06 am

Austin wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Really? OK, in that case I guess you got lucky then. Everything I see from Japan is $150 - $200 before shipping (then tack another $80 on for that). Ugh. :(

Can't wait to get some funds freed up so I can sign up for a middle man service and start using Yahoo Auctions Japan.
Yeah shipping out of Japan has gone through the roof of late.