Maximum Surge

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Maximum Surge

Post by klogg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:14 pm

I went looking for information about Maximum Surge, what happened to the game and such. It would have been an interesting game if it had been released. I found that it became a movie instead and many footage from old Digital Pictures games ended up on the editing.

Have any of you seen, what did you think? I saw a few portions of it on Youtube and in the websites of Insight Studios and Flash Film Works. I realized it turned to a terrible, terrible movie.

I think this film, by having pieces of various 3DO games, should have received a review from 3DO Kid.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Maximum Surge

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:01 pm

klogg wrote:Have any of you seen, what did you think? I saw a few portions of it on Youtube and in the websites of Insight Studios and Flash Film Works. I realized it turned to a terrible, terrible movie.
I assume you're talking about Game Over. If so, yes, I have it on VHS. I got it for $5 including shipping off Ebay, so simply satisfying my curiosity was enough to justify the price. The movie is poor, but almost par for the course as direct-to-video movies go, frankly. The chief problem is that the protagonist spends almost half the film's running time getting his ass whupped. That in itself makes painful viewing, and what makes it even worse is that he's getting his ass whupped by playing video games that he supposedly designed himself!

The most memorable part of that film for me is when the computer switches from Maximum Surge to Quarterback Attack. After spending about 10 minutes in a light gun shooter getting shot by almost every single enemy in the game, the protagonist screams "Get me out of this; I stink at football games!" My jaw dropped, and all I could think was "Good lord, there's a game you stink at worse than the one you were just playing?!"

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 am

Wow. Game Over, is exactly this film. I've never seen it, I found an old empty torrent only. And honestly, after your reply, I think even my curiosity is not enough to meke me see it. :lol:
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Well, I will say that the way they integrated the video game footage into the new footage is pretty good, though at some points the editing is very disorienting. It was nice to get a look at some of the footage for Maximum Surge, at least, though unfortunately you don't get much of a feel for what the game plays like; I get the sense that a variety of gameplay styles were used. I really wish they could have managed to get the game released.