Doom 3DO source code released

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

MLIOOBE
SPAMMER

Doom 3DO source code released

Post by MLIOOBE » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 am

Has no one posted this yet? Big (or just, regular) news from today. The person who ported Doom to 3DO has released the source code, and a brief recap of what happened.

Here's the source code/all files (including music!): https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do - you can download all as a zip file on the right.

Here's a little explanation on the porting: https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do/b ... /README.md

Maybe this could be useful for any modders/homebrew people? Beats me. This could possibly be more at home in the Homebrew forum, but I think it is big news. Or maybe I'm just a big Doom fan. Anyway, I'm loving the music in accessible AIFF format considering all the dead links/abandoned threads around here for soundtracks, it sounds great.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Doom 3DO source code released

Post by a31chris » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:28 am

Just happen? This is awesome!
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:31 am

Its a woman who ported this it seems. May sound sexist but you don't see that much anymore.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:26 am

a31chris wrote:Its a woman who ported this it seems. May sound sexist but you don't see that much anymore.
Ms. Heineman underwent a gender transition sometime last decade. When the game was programmed she was working under the name Bill Heineman, i.e. presenting as male. (I hope I've phrased that properly/respectfully.)

Anyway, kudos to her for releasing the source code! Sounds like a hell of a job that was completed as well as possible under tough circumstances, but I wonder if anyone will come up with additional modifications to make it run more smoothly.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 am

Maybe her and the author of Gorf know each other. Perhaps she'd like to take another crack at making Doom right?

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 pm

I think the more intriguing part is will it enable more development on 3DO?

Granted, it's one of the worst ports of Doom in existence, but maybe that could be easily resolved.

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Aer Fixus » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:35 pm

sneth wrote:I think the more intriguing part is will it enable more development on 3DO?

Granted, it's one of the worst ports of Doom in existence, but maybe that could be easily resolved.
I believe that it will. And now we know about workarounds for bugs that we didn't even know existed!

And, it's funny. I was just thinking the other day that it would great to see the 3DO Doom source and maybe the community could improve it but then thought to myself: "Nah! It's 2014, the source is probably long gone...."

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Could anyone recompile this sources? I've tried and failed. :( MPW Shell doesn't work with it (had some errors). Compiling kit for windows makes different size of launchme (237 kb instead 222 kb). And after packing game into iso it doesn't work.

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:43 am

Got it! It is working! The next step is to make a REZFILE!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Get hold of the programmer. While they may not have any wish to dive into the code themselves and rework it they might actually talk you through some things they would have done differently.

It can't hurt to try. Ask them if they will lend their wisdom to this rework you are doing. Maybe they will even join up here.

All they can say is no. :)