Kanji games?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Kanji games?

Post by FZ-10 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 am

Just got an import FZ-10 for 42 bucks in really nice shape, and was wondering what games I should seek that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to play on my US FZ-10 system. I know about Swords and Sorcery, and I hope that's playable without too much Japanese knowledge. But are there any other good games worth getting for this thing?

Either way, I just couldn't pass it up. I couldn't just let it sit there :P.
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Kanji games?

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:29 am

Cradle Moon.
Blue Forest Story.

Both of these are language heavy, so you might struggle.

Twinkle Knights. You'll figure it out ;)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 am

You should be fine playing Sword and Sorcery... seeing as how I've posted a complete transcript of the English script here. 8) I also included translations of the Saturn version menus; the menus are arranged differently in the 3DO version, but I make note of some of the differences, and figuring out where each option is a much smaller problem than figuring out what each option does.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks for the translation. Is the game that good?
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Doesn't Sword & Sorcery = Lucienne's Quest? If so, what advantages are there to playing the Japanese version? Are there major differences? Or is it more of a matter of cost (since I know Lucienne's Quest is extremely expensive)?

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:14 pm

There's a thread about region-locked and incompatible games here. In addition to the games already mentioned, Kamachi's Museum and Nice Body All-Star Suiei Taikai allegedly don't work on US consoles, though Nice Body is partially playable (the game will crash on a US 3DO if you try to access certain features/sections) and we need a second confirmation on Kamachi's Museum.

Also, are we sure about Moon Cradle? I got that to work on my US FZ-1, though it wasn't an original copy. Blue Forest Story was patched to run on non-Japanese hardware, but I've never heard of a patch for Moon Cradle.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:49 am

FZ-10 wrote:Thanks for the translation. Is the game that good?
It's pretty good. The battle system is certainly a bit different than any other RPG I've played. I really like the variety of spells and how traditionally useless spells like Sleep can actually be very effective. The story is routine but charming. The graphics aren't the most impressive stuff seen on the 3DO, but they have a consistent and pleasing "feel" to them.
Kyosho wrote:Doesn't Sword & Sorcery = Lucienne's Quest? If so, what advantages are there to playing the Japanese version? Are there major differences? Or is it more of a matter of cost (since I know Lucienne's Quest is extremely expensive)?
Yep, Sword & Sorcery = Lucienne's Quest. So far as I know the only advantage to the Japanese version is cost, but that's a pretty big advantage!