Any 3DO fans in Chicago?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Any 3DO fans in Chicago?

Post by awbacon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 pm

I know / have talked to a ton of you from the boards, but I have yet to stumble across anyone in Chicago with any affection for the 3DO. Am I the only one in the Windy City?

sneth
Nibbler

Re: Any 3DO fans in Chicago?

Post by sneth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 am

I'm close to chicago, and I work in chicago a few days a month. But I'm down in STL.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:45 am

sneth wrote:But I'm down in STL.
Sexually Transmitted Lymphoma...?

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:25 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
sneth wrote:But I'm down in STL.
Sexually Transmitted Lymphoma...?
So THAT'S how you get lymphoma...always wondered

Whatever STL is...I don't think I am into it haha

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 pm

As relatively popular as the 3DO was compared to say, the Jaguar you would figure there would be more aciton on this forum.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:56 am

I'm between an hour or two north of Chicago.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm

a31chris wrote:As relatively popular as the 3DO was compared to say, the Jaguar you would figure there would be more aciton on this forum.
We have ups and downs. Part of the lull in action at times stems from the fact that we don't have too many trolls & flame wars. 3DOKid & 3DOExp can sniff em out a mile away. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm

I grew up in the Chicago area, specifically Wheaton. If that counts. Lived there from 1976 (8 years old) until 1989 (21 years old). Lived in many places since, but have been in Texas now since 2004.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm

My sister lived in Chicago for a while. I doubt she'd know what I was talking about if I mentioned the 3DO, though. :P

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri May 16, 2014 12:24 am

A little late to the party, but yeah -- I moved to Chicago in the fall. I'm in Hyde Park. How about you?

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 pm

a31chris wrote:As relatively popular as the 3DO was compared to say, the Jaguar you would figure there would be more aciton on this forum.
Back in the day, the 3DO was better known because they had better marketing and distribution than the Jaguar, but in actuality I don't think there were a ton more actual sales of the unit compared to the Jaguar, mainly due to the high price. It just got a ton more developers and hence more game releases. And since there was no core fan base like Atari had/has, it just hasn't drawn a good long-time retro following like the Jaguar. I still think of it as a complimentary system to my Jaguar myself (sorry 3DO fans-it's still my second favorite console of all-time, even though I bought it to compliment my Jag's small library).

As far as console history is concerned, the 3DO company was just a "fly-by-night" console company since the 3DO was the first and last console. Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, etc. have all been around for years with multiple consoles and built core audiences to stick with them in a retro-perspective.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon May 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Gunstar wrote:Back in the day, the 3DO was better known because they had better marketing and distribution than the Jaguar, but in actuality I don't think there were a ton more actual sales of the unit compared to the Jaguar, mainly due to the high price.
Erm. Jaguar sold HALF of it's 250,000 units produced in its commercial lifetime.

3DO nearly sold 15x as much in it's commercial lifespan (around 2 Million).

Regardless of the Jag's (reasonably thriving) homebrew scene now and Atari's rich history throughout the 80's the Jag and 3DO... aren't actually all that comparable when discussing success and sales...

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Back in the day, the 3DO was better known because they had better marketing and distribution than the Jaguar, but in actuality I don't think there were a ton more actual sales of the unit compared to the Jaguar, mainly due to the high price.
Erm. Jaguar sold HALF of it's 250,000 units produced in its commercial lifetime.

Regardless of the Jag's (reasonably thriving) homebrew scene now and Atari's rich history throughout the 80's the Jag and 3DO... aren't actually all that comparable when discussing success and sales...
I heard on another site that the 3DO sold roughly 5 million world wide throughout its entire lifespan. Which is true?

And yeah, the Jag didn't sell anywhere near what the 3DO sold. The Jaguar wasn't competition at all except for the very, very beginning.
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 am

FZ-10 wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

I heard on another site that the 3DO sold roughly 5 million world wide throughout its entire lifespan. Which is true?
Couldn't say for sure, but I think the 2 million figure is much more credible. For instance, consider the fact that the Saturn sold about 9.5 million units worldwide. If you take into account that the Saturn's market availability lasted longer than the 3DO's, especially in Japan, and the Saturn being far more popular in Japan than elsewhere versus the 3DO being most popular in the USA, then 5 million units would mean the 3DO was selling in numbers comparable to the Saturn in the USA. Not like the Saturn was a hit here, but I think it can be readily agreed that the 3DO did not sell that well.

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Post by cdoty » Fri May 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I moved to the Chicago area last Sept. I live about 45 minutes south.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Martin III wrote: Couldn't say for sure, but I think the 2 million figure is much more credible. For instance, consider the fact that the Saturn sold about 9.5 million units worldwide. If you take into account that the Saturn's market availability lasted longer than the 3DO's, especially in Japan, and the Saturn being far more popular in Japan than elsewhere versus the 3DO being most popular in the USA, then 5 million units would mean the 3DO was selling in numbers comparable to the Saturn in the USA. Not like the Saturn was a hit here, but I think it can be readily agreed that the 3DO did not sell that well.
I have to go with this figure too. I still don't understand why they pulled the plug right when the 3DO seemed to really be beginning to build steam. If they hadn't and allowed the system to continue a little further, it's possible it could have reached 3 million, but Matsushita (Panasonic) was in a hurry to pull the plug to get the M2 that never released, of course, out the door to the public. In the end, it was a sad situation, honestly. Once they packed the system with GEX, it really was making a difference in sales, especially since many of the key titles everyone wanted had started to come down in price too.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 pm

cdoty wrote:I moved to the Chicago area last Sept. I live about 45 minutes south.
What city? We should totally hang out and do some 3DO hacking/coding!

parallaxscroll
3DO ZERO USER

Post by parallaxscroll » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:03 am

I'm from Chicago. I was born and lived in Lincoln Park until I was 5 when my folks moved us to suburban Glenview.

Lived in Cook County and Lake County Illinois my entire life.

Got my FZ-1 for $399 right around the time Super Street Fighter II Turbo was released in NA. I think I got mine very in early 1995, was living in Grayslake at the time. Spent countless hours play SSF2T (the music was beyond amazing) and soon after, Need For Speed and, of course, Return Fire. Also enjoyed playing Panzer General. Those last two games I bought because, respectively, they reminded me of all the fun I had with Herzog Zwei on Genesis and Military Madness on TurboGrafx-16 in the early days of the 16-bit revolution.