This is driving me nuts... (3DO Samurai Shodown port)

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: This is driving me nuts... (3DO Samurai Shodown port)

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Saffron wrote:Capcom did the same with SSFII... it's a pity when marketing gets in the way of development.
What did Capcom do? (re: 'the same'.)

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:03 pm

they didn't want to port an exact duplicate of the coin op so they removed the background scrolling and some animations.
You can't take the sky from me

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Saffron wrote:they didn't want to port an exact duplicate of the coin op so they removed the background scrolling and some animations.
Didn't Capcom remove the layered scrolling so the game would run at 60fps? Isn't parallax scrolling taxing for the 3DO?

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:57 am

Saffron wrote:they didn't want to port an exact duplicate of the coin op so they removed the background scrolling and some animations.
I hate to tell you this, but SSFIIX on 3DO, when it came out, was... almost Arcade Perfect.

I mean, if you're going to 'deliberately' sabotage an existing Arcade title for use at home, I can think of better things to omit than parallax scrolling!

The animations in the game are intact btw.

Having owned all the SNES & MD ones leading up to getting this on 3DO back in the day, I can honestly say, I was absolutely blown away by the conversion. Not to mention, Capcom went to extra lengths with the CD soundtrack for the game, later introduced in HDRemix on 360 & PS3. But never before.

Pretty sure it was technical limitation (probably affected smoothness and framerate during play) that prevented parallax scrolling and not sabotage.

FWIW, I don't at all buy that SShodown was 'sabotaged' either.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 am

Its not sabotaged, its just not an arcade perfect conversion, as close as some people may want to think it is, its not good enough.

Anyone that spent considerable time playing the proper NEO•GEO version ( no matter which one because all three play identical ) and then played the 3DO version expecting arcade perfection wouldve been dissapointed in one way or another. It doesnt play the same.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...