Commcercial 3do USB adapter - now available

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

sneth
Nibbler

Commcercial 3do USB adapter - now available

Post by sneth » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Was browsing for some other items, and noticed this one pop up.
https://www.stoneagegamer.com/more.../3do/

I remember this project went silent on here awhile back with rumors of StoneAgeGamer. Looks like it was actually done.

The mod doesnt seem difficult based on other work I've done. It will take someone with mod experience, and it appears you can ship your unit there. ...It also permanently changes your 3DO.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Commcercial 3do USB adapter - now available

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:02 am

Yeah jasonbar pointed it out early this month. Thank god they are up for sale and god damn it I have to wait until I pay off my hospital bills!

The best part (other than it being available) is now that they have updated the page:

Up to 2TB - everything will fit!

Allows you to save/load internal NVRAM to/from a file. This allows you to back-up and restore your game saves you to drive. - GREAT he took our advice!

FZ-1 no longer on the list - I hope it's just not ready yet and not taken off forever.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Very nice. Sadly I can't afford it right at the moment, and I don't have either of the supported models yet, but it's good to know this is around for when I have money to spare.

98pacecar
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 98pacecar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 pm

I just installed one of these in an FZ-10 last night and have to say, I'm very impressed with this mod. It was a rough install, with the hardest part being the removal of an 80 pin surface mount IC. Some pretty tight soldering points as well, but nothing that wasn't manageable.

I've had a lot of success loading isos and playing some of my old favorites (I was one of the crazy folks that bought a 3DO shortly after launch). The only issue I've had so far is that I can not seem to get it to back up my NVRAM to a file. I've contacted the developer to see if he can offer any insight, but I was hoping that someone here may have already run across this and has a solution.

But from a few hours of playing with it, I can tell you, this will revolutionize the way I play 3DO and it's easily one of the coolest kits I've ever installed in any console!

98pacecar
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 98pacecar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Just to follow up on my own question, I heard back from the developer on the NVRAM save issue. He sent me a small rar file with a set of files and folders to put on my USB drive. After I did that, I was able to dump and restore my NVRAM just fine.

I'm not sure if the developer wants these files distributed or not, so I'd say that anybody else that has this issue should contact him directly. With this, my modded unit seems to be 100% functional!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:39 am

Unless you are speaking to a Russian guy, you are probably not talking to the developer. But those files are probably just premade empties. I doubt many would need them unless there were an issue with the drive.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

98pacecar
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 98pacecar » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 am

Yea, it's Mnemo from Russia, so pretty sure I'm talking to the man himself. There were some premade nvram bins, but also a file called launch bios that went in the root. Not sure if it's significant, but it does work now so I'm good with including all of them.