Seal of the Pharaoh

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Seal of the Pharaoh

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:37 pm

I finally, after only having the Japanese version for years, got my hands on the American version.

I'm taking it for a spin later.

Any opinions?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Seal of the Pharaoh

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:57 pm

I think its somewhat typical of the first wave of cd software ... a gorgeous looking title thats fairly short on gameplay. I found it to be a ho hum dungeon crawler lacking in variety. As I recall there was a brief load every time you took a step forward also (short enough to not stop one from playing, but long enough to annoy) The enemies are bizzare as well, and I don't think there was much strategy to the combat. Its been a while since I've played it though ...

I do prefer the American title over the Japanese generic 'Virtual Quest'
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Seal of the Pharoah. Not a shining example of what the 3DO can do, but there is some fun to be had there. I would recommend getting out the grid paper and going old school though if you want to play it. Keeping track of the map and where you are is imperative of the game because it is actually quite easy to get lost and keep going over the same stuff over and over again. There is fun to be had in the game if you get through it, but there are better titles on the system, as I'm sure you already know. I guess whyere this game always get's me is the sound. I don't know why, but something about the audio in the game makes me want to come back to it again and again.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:23 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Seal of the Pharoah. Not a shining example of what the 3DO can do, but there is some fun to be had there. I would recommend getting out the grid paper and going old school though if you want to play it. Keeping track of the map and where you are is imperative of the game because it is actually quite easy to get lost and keep going over the same stuff over and over again. There is fun to be had in the game if you get through it, but there are better titles on the system, as I'm sure you already know. I guess whyere this game always get's me is the sound. I don't know why, but something about the audio in the game makes me want to come back to it again and again.
[Briefly samples an ISO of the game] Could it be the fact that the music loops every four seconds? (No exaggeration; I timed it.) I actually found the gameplay enjoyable, if overly simplistic, but that constantly looping music drives me nuts. I can't find any option for shutting it off, either.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Martin III wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Seal of the Pharoah. Not a shining example of what the 3DO can do, but there is some fun to be had there. I would recommend getting out the grid paper and going old school though if you want to play it. Keeping track of the map and where you are is imperative of the game because it is actually quite easy to get lost and keep going over the same stuff over and over again. There is fun to be had in the game if you get through it, but there are better titles on the system, as I'm sure you already know. I guess whyere this game always get's me is the sound. I don't know why, but something about the audio in the game makes me want to come back to it again and again.
[Briefly samples an ISO of the game] Could it be the fact that the music loops every four seconds? (No exaggeration; I timed it.) I actually found the gameplay enjoyable, if overly simplistic, but that constantly looping music drives me nuts. I can't find any option for shutting it off, either.
I'm talking about the simplistic sound effects and whatnot. Dunno' why, but it just sounds so good in the game. It just grabs me for some reason I can't explain. By all intents and purposes, I should hate the game.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:45 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
Martin III wrote:
I'm talking about the simplistic sound effects and whatnot. Dunno' why, but it just sounds so good in the game. It just grabs me for some reason I can't explain. By all intents and purposes, I should hate the game.
Whoops, I misread your post. I assumed "always gets me" was meant in the "annoys me" sense, so my brain inserted a "not" right before "want to come back to it again". :oops:

I can dig liking the game's sound effects. I rather liked the door opening sound myself.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 am

Granted I only played it for about 30 minutes, but the visuals aside, I wasn't captivated very much at all by the gameplay. It's like a poor-man's dungeon crawler RPG.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:39 am

This was one of the later games i picked up. It never looked that interesting, so I just waited until I got a good deal.

I was really surprised by this one. I liked it!
It took a couple attempts before I could get anywhere though.

I think i had set my expectations so low, that I was pleasantly surprised.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

sneth wrote:
I think i had set my expectations so low, that I was pleasantly surprised.
Thats what happens to me with a lot of games (and not just 3DO) Its always nice to be surprised in a good way.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm

This is what I am hoping for the latest Aliens game. It's crap, I know. But...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 pm

3DOKid wrote:This is what I am hoping for the latest Aliens game. It's crap, I know. But...
Sorry to disappoint you man, but, well, you already know.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 am

Aliens Colonial Marines is great IF you get the PC version. The console versions are so broken even the Wii U scrapped it.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Austin wrote:Granted I only played it for about 30 minutes, but the visuals aside, I wasn't captivated very much at all by the gameplay. It's like a poor-man's dungeon crawler RPG.
Exactly how I'd describe it. But I'm enough of a dungeon crawling fanatic that I find enjoyment even in dumbed-down variations like Seal of the Pharaoh.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:56 am

I love Dinosaurs and I love ancient Egypt so I'll probably have to get this.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 am

a31chris wrote:I love Dinosaurs and I love ancient Egypt so I'll probably have to get this.
Careful Chris, this game, sadly, seems to cost a bit more than it really should. It's one of "Those" games according to every financial rapist on evilbay. :cry:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 am

After actually getting a copy of this again, I have been playing it and the game is quite a bit more enjoyable than I remember. Not too bad. Not the deepest thing ever made, but enough to really make me curious to see the ending.