Just imagine...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Just imagine...

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I know i'm not supposed to run this as a 'community' thing.

But just imagine you had to submit 10 screen shots to make people think differently about 3DO, with captions.

Which 10 games would you, hypothetically choose...?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Just imagine...

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 pm

That's a good question ... I'll have to give it some thought.

10 screen shots of games? Or could it be anything 3DO related? I think at least one shot from the 95' E3 would be good ... 3DO had an impressive showing that year ... lots of games on display, and lots of excitement! :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Just games I am afraid. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 pm

I think they should be games that are either 3DO exclusives, or play best on 3DO. A few ideas of mine ...

Need for Speed - a gorgeous dashboard shot
Demolition Man - a fmv shot w/the actors exclusive footage
Foes of Ali - a 1st person shot to show off the polyogn pushing power of 3DO
Starfighter - amazing draw distance on 3DO!
Wing Commander 3 - the fmv video scene where Hobbes explains his betrayal (originated on 3DO, not found in pc versions)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Me, I'd do a good screen shot from each of the following:

The Need for Speed
Road Rash
Wolfenstein 3D
Gex
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
D
Lucienne's Quest
Samurai Shodown
Fifa Soccer
Captain Quazar

Hypothetically, if I was to try to get the average gamer into the system, I wouldn't attempt to show them anything taboo at the start. No FMV games (D gets a pass since it's well known and respected in the retro gaming community), nor would I suggest to them games that heavily feature live-action clips (i.e., Crash 'n Burn). I would also ensure that the games are relatively smooth and play well, as to not deceive anyone. There's nothing worse than seeing awesome screenshots, but then finding out the game actually plays like ass in motion (i.e., Killing Time). Basically, the goal would be to show the cream of the crop, the games that require little to no tolerance of faults in order to be enjoyed. Basically, the closest you can get to theoretical "AAA mass appeal" games.
Last edited by Austin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Starblade
Need for Speed
Killing Time
Return Fire
Road Rash
Starfighter
Phoenix 3
D
Crash N Burn

...probably

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Good choices guys. We need more esoteric choices mind you. As the popular ones I have done. And have been done before. We need to dig deeper!!

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Um.. I don't know.

Starblade
Psychic Detective
Battlesport
Bladeforce
Shockwave 2
Soccer Kid
Gridders
Return Fire
Defcon 5
Trip'd
Burning Soldier
Lemmings
Alone in the Dark (the first one)
Out of This World/Another World
Novastorm
Primal Rage (don't lynch me for this)
Star Control 2
Twisted
Escape From Monster Manor
Hell
CPU Bach
Madden

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 am

Just throwing a few out there:

Immercenary
Lost Eden
Montana Jones
Casper
Eye of Typhoon
N.O.B.
Bonogurashi

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 am

Trev wrote:Wing Commander 3 - the fmv video scene where Hobbes explains his betrayal (originated on 3DO, not found in pc versions)
Actually, apparently it is on the PC versions, it's just that a bug prevents Blair's locker from opening at the right time, so it can't be accessed through normal gameplay. (Which makes sense, if you think about it, if for no other reason than that rehiring the actors and getting the locker room set back just to film one extra scene for a version not many people are going to buy would be pretty absurd. Plus, if they were crazy enough to do that, then why would they have gone with the stock audio clips for the new planetary surface FMVs?) See this video.

Anyway, my suggestions:

A nice daytime shot of Perfect and its populace. This visual style of Immercenary's overworld has a distinctive futuristic look that catches the reader's eye - I know it did mine when I read 3DO Kid's pseudo-magazine.

I concur with Austin on D. Not sure what exactly you should take a shot of, but I've pasted three of my favorite shots that I've taken of the game. Maybe they'll give you an idea. (Note: These are all from the Saturn version.)
Image Image Image

Something from Slayer. A shot highlighting some of the detailed 3D environment would be best, methinks. I'm shocked no one's suggested this yet... My recent review proves that even a screenshoting amateur like myself can put together a whole bunch of killer shots of this game in less than 20 minutes.

And I have to disagree with Austin as far as FMV goes. For better or worse, live action FMV is a big part of the 3DO library, and though my collection isn't big enough to make an educated suggestion of a specific game, I do feel it needs to be represented with at least one shot if you're going to give a fair overview of the system. Plus, you have to figure that a lot of the magazine's readers already know of the 3DO's reputation for FMV, so if the article totally omits it, those readers may conclude that you're hiding all the bad stuff.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:26 am

Martin III wrote:And I have to disagree with Austin as far as FMV goes. For better or worse, live action FMV is a big part of the 3DO library, and though my collection isn't big enough to make an educated suggestion of a specific game, I do feel it needs to be represented with at least one shot if you're going to give a fair overview of the system. Plus, you have to figure that a lot of the magazine's readers already know of the 3DO's reputation for FMV, so if the article totally omits it, those readers may conclude that you're hiding all the bad stuff.
That's why I mentioned D in my first post. Had I remembered Lost Eden at the time, I would have mentioned that as well.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 am

3DOKid wrote:Good choices guys. We need more esoteric choices mind you. As the popular ones I have done. And have been done before. We need to dig deeper!!
That's fair enough :)

However, I literally picked the ten games I felt would most likely draw someone (an outsider, if you will) to a 3DO and want to play it. Them wanting to play it, and taking notice of it, being my definition of them thinking differently about the 3DO :wink:

Apologies if I'm being a bit narrow-minded about this one...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:35 pm

It's cool dude. I didn't explain myself well.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 pm

Cyberdillo , Bladeforce , Icebreaker , Starblade , Space Hulk , Starfighter , Gridders , Grand Chef , Trip'd , Killing Time
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:And I have to disagree with Austin as far as FMV goes. For better or worse, live action FMV is a big part of the 3DO library, and though my collection isn't big enough to make an educated suggestion of a specific game, I do feel it needs to be represented with at least one shot if you're going to give a fair overview of the system. Plus, you have to figure that a lot of the magazine's readers already know of the 3DO's reputation for FMV, so if the article totally omits it, those readers may conclude that you're hiding all the bad stuff.
That's why I mentioned D in my first post. Had I remembered Lost Eden at the time, I would have mentioned that as well.
Yeah, but I meant live action FMV in particular. (I'm not very familiar with Lost Eden, so my apologies if that one does have live action.)