Total Eclipse

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Total Eclipse

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:58 pm

I can't believe we don't have a topic for this game yet. One of the 3DO's first killer apps.

Anyway, I was swapping discs to try out my newly purchased copy of Soccer Kid, so I decided to throw in Total Eclipse while I was at it. Due to my disappointment with it being far inferior to Solar Eclipse, I'd forgotten how much fun this game is. Yeah, they really overdo it on the tiresome tunnel sections, but otherwise it's a blast. Great visuals, and an intense pace set by the constant need to destroy enemies in order to replenish your shields. I even found myself enjoying the soundtrack this time out, which is just weird.

I'm looking forward to sitting down one day to finally beat this one. Naturally, I'll have to use the stage select code so that I don't have to go through the whole game in one sitting, but it's not like I haven't had to do that before (glances at Sonic 3D Blast). I'll have fun with it this time out.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Total Eclipse

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

It is a cracking game. I think if the mountains had been more mountain like and less alien i.e. lumps with textures on, this would have been a winner.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:01 am

3DO TOP FIVE.

I love this game. The graphics and soundtrack were SO ahead of their time. The control is really pretty decent and it has a fair difficulty level.

I purchased this game right off the store shelve almost immediately after it came out. I was completely and utterly floored at the quality of the CGI FMV sequences in the beginning.

Awesome game! Really? There was no thread for this game prior to this? I am actually quite surprised.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 am

oldskool wrote:I love this game. The graphics and soundtrack were SO ahead of their time. The control is really pretty decent and it has a fair difficulty level.
Yeah, I can almost imagine how amazing this game must have looked back in early 1994. Even Starfox couldn't touch it. And I'm sure I've said this before, but I love how Crystal Dynamics' games all offer such a balanced challenge.