A Cry For Help

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

A Cry For Help

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:14 pm

I've been tasked with writing the lead article for Retro Gamer celebrating 20 years of 3DO. If you worked for 3DO or with 3DO back in the day, i'd like to email some questions, or if you can email me some stuff that would be great. Drop me a PM.

I've written the article. It's pro-3DO. It's Zero-negativity. 3DO was an unlucky success, in my opinion, and that's what I wrote. I've spoken to Trip. But I'd like to get the other view. The last 3DO article in print was about 6 years ago. I'm taking my shot at making people think differently about the 3DO. I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Will / aka 3DOKid.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: A Cry For Help

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Wishing you the best Will. I'm looking forward to article. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Do you get Retro Gamer in the states?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm

3DOKid wrote:Do you get Retro Gamer in the states?
Some book stores & game shops import it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 am

Very cool, I'm looking forward to seeing the article when it's published. Congrats! :)

3DO Si
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DO Si » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Excellent, can you let us know what edition of the magazine it will be appearing in so we can grab a copy when it's released?

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Excellent!

Did you pitch this article yourself kid?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 pm

No. I got asked.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Brilliant news! Their last feature, while handy for collecting, was very negative and made it sound like there were no good games and the whole idea was rubbished. Will be great to read something setting the record straight! :D

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:09 am

Oooo... I've got the Retro Gamer app on my iPad & every month you can scan small images of every page to see if you want to buy that issue. Well the issue that's just come out (119) seems to have this as its next issue page!

So it appears you're there next month 3DO Kid! (I mean the small image on the bottom left, I'm not saying you look like Mario.)

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Wonderful! I hope the article features also the homebrew projects achieved so far.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 am

Happy to pass questions onto RJ - Feel free to message me on Evilbook if you're interested
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Well Kid, since you are the respected 3DO Master around here with quite a bit of good writing under your fingers, it should be very cool to read your article. I got Retro Gamer here too at Barnes & Noble, so I'll be picking this one up too. I want autographs though, and you know it! :mrgreen:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm

I can't believe I didn't think to suggest this before now, and it's likely already too late, but have you spoken to Eric Lindstrom (of Crystal Dynamics) about the article? I sent him a fan letter following my second playthrough of the masterpiece that is Solar Eclipse (a.k.a. Titan Wars), and he was kind enough to respond and answer all the questions I had. He seems like a guy who really enjoys making video games and still looks fondly upon the stuff he created in the mid-90s. If the article deadline hasn't already passed, I'd say it's worth dropping him a line to see if he'd be willing to help out.

By the way, great to see you hanging around here again, T2KFreeker! :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Martin III wrote:I can't believe I didn't think to suggest this before now, and it's likely already too late, but have you spoken to Eric Lindstrom (of Crystal Dynamics) about the article? I sent him a fan letter following my second playthrough of the masterpiece that is Solar Eclipse (a.k.a. Titan Wars), and he was kind enough to respond and answer all the questions I had. He seems like a guy who really enjoys making video games and still looks fondly upon the stuff he created in the mid-90s. If the article deadline hasn't already passed, I'd say it's worth dropping him a line to see if he'd be willing to help out.

If you have an email address could you PM it to me? That would be awesome.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:16 am

Martin III wrote:I can't believe I didn't think to suggest this before now, and it's likely already too late, but have you spoken to Eric Lindstrom (of Crystal Dynamics) about the article? I sent him a fan letter following my second playthrough of the masterpiece that is Solar Eclipse (a.k.a. Titan Wars), and he was kind enough to respond and answer all the questions I had. He seems like a guy who really enjoys making video games and still looks fondly upon the stuff he created in the mid-90s. If the article deadline hasn't already passed, I'd say it's worth dropping him a line to see if he'd be willing to help out.

Thanx', it's good to be back indeed.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 pm

So, it's been delayed but at the same time extended. I get to put some more content in.

Stay tuned. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm really hoping this will be the best 3do article ever. I've really tried to capture the excitement of the build up to the launch, which enticed me to 3do, and then change peoples perspective on the games and it's success over its life time. I've steered well clear of the dogmatic and tired things that get regurgitated time and time again and focused entirely on what made it great, and what people forget. I'm genuinely excited to have been given the chance to not set things straight, but pitch a clearer picture of the console.

Hopefully we'll get some new members too.

Which I can ban over the next few months.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:45 pm

20 years since this 3DOcame out. So, 20 years from now? What? It's a teeny slice of history. They say history is written by the victor. It's how the West was won, not lost... etc. This isn't true in my opinion. History is won by those who defend their slice. Gaming, like Art, Music, Books, is a new media of history, and if people who participate in that history, don't defend it, They will lose it. And although there is often a popular version of history, there is always space and time for an alternative.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Looking forward to this, you were deffo the right man for the job Will!

Did you get hold of the Crystal Dynamics guy? If so would you mind passing on his details to me as I would love to interview him!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 am

3DOKid wrote:...Which I can ban over the next few months.
I dont know.. Would you be able to bring yourself to do it? It seems like you are getting soft these days. I mean, Trev is still here. ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm

The Laird wrote:Looking forward to this, you were deffo the right man for the job Will!

Did you get hold of the Crystal Dynamics guy? If so would you mind passing on his details to me as I would love to interview him!
No I didn't. but I haven't tried either. I'm free this afternoon, so I'll give it a bash.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:11 am

Austin wrote:
3DOKid wrote:...Which I can ban over the next few months.
I dont know.. Would you be able to bring yourself to do it? It seems like you are getting soft these days. I mean, Trev is still here. ;)
Don't remind him ... I heard mention of pitchforks in another recent thread. :P

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:40 am

Issue 120 still looks good. Wish I could get a copy. (as well as 122)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"