Blade Force?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Blade Force?

Post by BEARD! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:30 pm

So I just picked up Blade Force this week and I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to get past the first mission (Terrance Pitt)? I can see from the map I'm supposed to get to the red area but I cant find away in. I end up just flying around blowing everything up until I run out of fuel. It a shame, it looks like it has the makings of a good game but the mission objectives seem vague to say the least. Any help would be much appreciated.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Blade Force?

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 pm

It's super easy to get lost. And then when you finally do find a way to go, you run out of fuel and die. Fun gameplay, excellent visuals, but yeah, vague missions and confusing stage design makes for a mixed experience.

I don't remember exactly how I beat Mission 1, but I did. Keep in mind those sort of electrical field looking things can be destroyed, depending. It might be something like that you have to get through.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Austin wrote:It's super easy to get lost. And then when you finally do find a way to go, you run out of fuel and die. Fun gameplay, excellent visuals, but yeah, vague missions and confusing stage design makes for a mixed experience.
Well said. I've always thought the levels in BladeForce overstayed their welcome, in a large part due to their layout.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:17 pm

I tried it again last night, same story. I destroyed every electric field I could find, still couldn't get to the red area of the map. It's a shame cos I really like the gameplay. Oh well, I'll try battlesport tonight instead

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 am

Wasn't Blade Force and Killing Time considered two of the best games of that Generation?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm

a31chris wrote:Wasn't Blade Force and Killing Time considered two of the best games of that Generation?
I doubt it ... although I do remember Blade Force was hyped at E3 with it's crazy flyig contraption that show goers could try, and got a ton of praise from mags like Game Players and Die Hard Game Fan in particular.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sparker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I remember seeing a photo either in a magazine or in a Studio 3DO advert that showed an early version of Blade Force. I think it may have been called something else but can't recall what the early name for it was, but the game was played in 3rd person.

Is there any footage of this running, or better still a demo floating about somewhere?

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sparker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 pm

sparker wrote:I remember seeing a photo either in a magazine or in a Studio 3DO advert that showed an early version of Blade Force. I think it may have been called something else but can't recall what the early name for it was, but the game was played in 3rd person.

Is there any footage of this running, or better still a demo floating about somewhere?
So I turned up a little more info. On Soccer Kid there are some previews, including Time 2 Die (Killing Time) and SkyVyper. The previews appear to be just rendered art and are static.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0db5monj8

Is there any more material on SkyVyper?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Trev wrote:
a31chris wrote:Wasn't Blade Force and Killing Time considered two of the best games of that Generation?
I doubt it ... although I do remember Blade Force was hyped at E3 with it's crazy flyig contraption that show goers could try, and got a ton of praise from mags like Game Players and Die Hard Game Fan in particular.
Apparently some people thought so. I remember NextGeneration magazines editors all praising these games as just that. Also calling Killing Time one of the most original Doom-clones out there.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 am

a31chris wrote:Apparently some people thought so. I remember NextGeneration magazines editors all praising these games as just that.
Surely they did.. and then they attempted to play past the first or second mission of Bladeforce and retracted their statements. ;)
a31chris wrote:Also calling Killing Time one of the most original Doom-clones out there.
Indeed, it actually is. But "original" doesn't necessarily always equate to "good", which in the case of Killing Time especially is highly subjective due to its technical issues.

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok so I gave Blade Force another try yesterday and I'm finally making some progress. What I needed to do was destroy these small box-like objects that cause walls to disappear. Once I figured that out its been plain sailing. I've managed to defeat 4 bosses already so I reckon I should complete it this weekend.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice. Blade Force is one I've considered picking up more than once.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm

BEARD! wrote:Ok so I gave Blade Force another try yesterday and I'm finally making some progress. What I needed to do was destroy these small box-like objects that cause walls to disappear. Once I figured that out its been plain sailing. I've managed to defeat 4 bosses already so I reckon I should complete it this weekend.
Yeah, the "keys", I forgot to mention that but figured you would already know about it as it is covered on the training stage. But four bosses? That's farther than I ever made it. Any tips for making it "smooth sailing"?

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:44 pm

I spoke too soon. Level 5 (Rev Beeatch) was a nightmare, I managed to get to the boss easy enough but she was protected by these annoying flying purple ships that just wasted me everytime. I resorted to popping in the Game Guru and entering 255 lives code. Needless to say I eventually beat her.

The final level had Ugly Two Heads as the boss. This levelwas much easier than the previous one, although it was a maze (it made the earlier levels look linear in comparison). I beat the end boss without losing a life.

As for tips, at the start of each level note where the entrance to the bosses lair is on the map and head straight there, don't bother shooting the enemies unless there blocking your path. Try to collect as much items as you can along the way (Especially the red cubes, once you've got 3 of these the enemies crumble under your assault). The keys for the bosses hideouts are convieniantly placed near the enterances.

The bosses themselves are all identical. Each one is a large red and grey cube, the only thing that changes is what enemies accompany them. The only different one is Ugly Two Heads who appears as 2 cubes. The bosses themselves are pretty easy with the exception of Rev Beeatch and maybe Pyromegaly. All you have to do it circle the bosses constantly firing. Fire all your missiles (C button) first then fire your normal gun until your missiles recharge, rinse and repeat. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

You got a lot further than I ever have ... way to go! :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:46 am

Trev wrote:You got a lot further than I ever have ... way to go! :)
I'd argue farther than anyone has made it. :D

Except that one person or two that claims they beat it. I DON'T BELIEVE YOU FOR ONE SECOND. YEAH. (I think).

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:01 pm

I forgot to mention the disappointing ending. All it was was a short FMV showing the blimp in the intro crashing to the ground on fire followed by a compilation of the previous FMVs which were shown after beating each boss. It also mentions your characters name is Bubba, perhaps a play on Bobba Fett?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 pm

I agree. Blade Force was a demonstration of 3DO power. Not many people completed it mind you.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 am

BEARD! wrote:Ok so I gave Blade Force another try yesterday and I'm finally making some progress. What I needed to do was destroy these small box-like objects that cause walls to disappear. Once I figured that out its been plain sailing. I've managed to defeat 4 bosses already so I reckon I should complete it this weekend.
Yup - that's the advise I was going to give you but it looks like you figured it out. I always enjoyed this game. I especially liked the graphics other than the extremely short draw distances.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

the gameplay was less exciting than the hype.

The free flying aspect was pretty cool at the time. It's still kinda fun to fly around and shoot at stuff.
You can't help but laugh at the story. These days you are laughing at the story, but i remember laughing with it back in the day.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Stick to STARFIGHTER

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am

sneth wrote: These days you are laughing at the story, but i remember laughing with it back in the day.
Same here back in the day. I especially love the intro, it's hilarious. But that's what's great about the "story" in this game--it has a sense of humor and you can tell it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:10 pm

I just got this. I haven't had a chance to play it much. Got through the training and working on the first level. Been wanting to play this game for years.

The new local store has Starfighter as well. They got quite a bit of stuff at competitive prices for being local.