Virtual Reality

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Virtual Reality

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm lucky enough to be one of those people that neither 'sees' frame-rate, I think my brain effectively fills in the gaps that other people lament, and I don't get motion sickness. I played on a virtual reality arcade machine back in the 1990s and it was wonderful. I was in a castle and skeletons came at me, but for me it was incredible. Now the technology never took off, the Jaguar VR helmet never got released. Did 3DO ever talk about VR? Nagging in my brain, i remember something, but I can't find it...

(Occulus Rift looks amazing :) )

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't recall ever reading about a helmet for the 3DO. I have a HMD (head mounted display) that does a pretty good job of doing 3D from 2D sources. In fact I had a hard time with that rock monster in the first Metroid Prime, I put the helmet on and beat him in the first try.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:49 pm

The Virtual IO glasses were a bust. I used them for a only a few days before returning them. I probably had my expectations too high. Or maybe Gex wasn't a good game to show them off.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 am

I never did get to try those out. Someone told me years later they didn't work very well.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 am

3DO Experience wrote:I never did get to try those out. Someone told me years later they didn't work very well.
Yeah, I definitely wasn't very impressed at all. The ads, commercials, etc ... made them sound much more advanced than they really were. I did actually try them with a good many games, including games like Wolfenstin and such. I was really letdown. Thankfully wherever I got them from (they were a gift) had a generous return policy.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 pm

3DO Experience wrote: In fact I had a hard time with that rock monster in the first Metroid Prime...
Definitely my first tough stumbling block in Prime too.

Accidentally erased my mem.card not long after that point. I won't bore you with that story though...