User deleted?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

User deleted?

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 pm

We have been severely spammed over the past couple of hours. Hopefully, it's all cleared up now. If you're looking at your account and thinking hmmm, i've been deactivated/disabled/deleted It's probably my fault. Don't have a hissy fit (or you wont re-enabled) send me a PM and i'll sort you out

3DOKid.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Re: User deleted?

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 am

next to be removed are

byiernicx
Cliquick
DotNotcisputs

plus the page and a half of new spammers
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 am

Yep.

All new members are being validated by me. And as usual, that service will be crap. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:12 pm

We've had 10 new registrations today in the last 4 hours all from such auspicious usernames as "sac Louis vuitton"

If Louis Vuitton wishes to join he can, and in his case, i'll make an exception. If he wants ROMs or Warez or talk about Justin Beiber, and the demise of Twilight he most certainly can. Given that he's been dead since 1892. And that goes for anyone. Stump up a valid death certificate for yourself and we'll sort out a few images for you.

3DOKid.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

3DOKid wrote: If you're looking at your account and thinking hmmm, i've been deactivated/disabled/deleted It's probably my fault. Don't have a hissy fit (or you wont re-enabled) send me a PM and i'll sort you out

3DOKid.
So it's your fault I'm a "Banned 3DO Demi-God" :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Glad to see you were on the scene, my email was being flooded so I popped on real quick and turned off registering. Sorry about being away for a bit, haven't been feeling well. Odd change to the look of the forums, gonna take some getting use to. I'll try and go through the rest later (over 20) and remove them.

UPDATE: Wow that was a lot of them. Deleted all the new ones. Turns out when we switched all the spam bot precautions were turned off.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 am

Figured something was up ! Not minding the new look but desperately missing the "posts since last visit" option.
Mattyg is in da house!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 pm

mattyg wrote:Figured something was up ! Not minding the new look but desperately missing the "posts since last visit" option.
Mattyg is in da house!
Just use the 'view new posts' option at the top of the home page. Pretty simple 8)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 am

Might want to check on "andybthedj", that user seemed to make a legitimate post in the "What's your 3DO story?" thread. I only mention this because I noticed it says "SPAMMER" under his name, which I'm assuming means he was blocked/deactivated.

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... =24#p34035

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:59 am

No, that just means he's only made a few posts. I think Kid set it to 1 post on the old set up and now it's 3. Just a cute tag he made, andybthedj is ok.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

Haha! Typical 'Kid humor. I like it. :D

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
mattyg wrote:Figured something was up ! Not minding the new look but desperately missing the "posts since last visit" option.
Mattyg is in da house!
Just use the 'view new posts' option at the top of the home page. Pretty simple 8)
Cheers, system wasn't automatically logging me on so I couldn't see the option - all good now
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Anyone notice that if a new post is in a long thread it won't take you straight to it ... like in the Introduce yourself thread, I click on unread posts and it takes me to page 1 ... I've noticed this in every bumped thread that spans multiple pages.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Click either Image next to the topic for the first unread post or Image next to the user's name to jump to the last post .

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm

I'll have to throw some anti-spam code up.

In the mean time I've enabled account activation by administrators alone. That will stop the flood for now!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 am

Well I did make it so they would have to at least read the rules first, but that slimy kitchen sales man finally looked up the answer.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well I did make it so they would have to at least read the rules first, but that slimy kitchen sales man finally looked up the answer.

Why do they even make the effort? I can't imagine that type of spam marketing is very effective ... they might be able to trick gramma, but why would she be on the 3DO Forums in the first place?

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 am

Trev wrote:Why do they even make the effort? I can't imagine that type of spam marketing is very effective ... they might be able to trick gramma, but why would she be on the 3DO Forums in the first place?
As I understand it, it's all about Google page ranking, and almost all message board spam is carried out by bots. They're trying to plant links that point to sketchy sites so that, when you search on certain terms, those sites come up first in Google results, thus increasing the number of people who get scammed/phished/infected. The spambots are programmed to look for message boards with open registration or, failing that, vulnerabilities in their registration method.

I'd imagine that at least some bots target message boards using particular software, and couldn't care less whether it's a 3DO site, a site for zither-playing aardvarks, or whatever. Of course it's a bonus if someone here is dumb enough to click on the links and gets malware or buys fake pharmaceuticals :D but their real target is the whole Internet-using world.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:53 am

goldenband wrote: I'd imagine that at least some bots target message boards using particular software, and couldn't care less whether it's a 3DO site, a site for zither-playing aardvarks, or whatever.
:P