3DO=Space shooter console?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

3DO=Space shooter console?

Post by MeneGx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm

One thing that I've noticed while doing research on the 3DO game library is that there are a lot of space shooters, and many of them are actually 3DO exclusive. Yet somewhat ironically there aren't (to my knowledge atleast) any traditional shmups.

So 3DO sticks out in my mind as "the space shooter console". Any one else noticed the same thing? :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

There certainly are a good number of space shooters on 3DO (though sadly no "pure" shmups like you mentioned)

I did use to think of 3DO back in the day as a space shooter console (and also a fps console) A couple good shooter exclusives off the top of my head are Burning Soldier & Shockwave 2. The best imo is StarBlade, although it can also be found on the PSX.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Trev wrote: The best imo is StarBlade, although it can also be found on the PSX.
Did the PSX version also have the updated graphics mode?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote: The best imo is StarBlade, although it can also be found on the PSX.
Did the PSX version also have the updated graphics mode?
I've never actually played it, but from videos it looks like a direct port of the 3DO original.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5