What do I have here? Could these be valuable to collectors?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Mobius

What do I have here? Could these be valuable to collectors?

Post by Mobius » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 am

I bought my 3DO several years ago off eBay, and it came with several games. It was mostly a blind purchase, since the auction didn't have many pictures.

Two of the games included were Shock Wave and Guardian War, and it turns out they weren't the standard releases. I'm attaching a picture so you can see.

Both discs have a "DEMO DISC - NOT FOR RESALE" logo, but if you play them, they seem to be full versions. I think these are complementary copies of the games that were given to retailers to encourage them to stock the games. Both have a "Key Selling Points" and "To order, call" section on the included cards. Given that they're printed on cardpaper that includes holes for a binder, they could have been part of a whole book of these...

For Shock Wave, the ordering info is:

Electronic Arts Dealer Hotline
(800) 448-8822
SRP: US $69.95
UPC Code: 014633-07222-8
Available: June 24, 1994

And for Guardian War:

Gene Kelsey
The Panasonic Company
(201) 348-7340
SRP: $59.95
UPC Code: 0-37988-83007-7
Available: September, 1994

Anyone think these would be valuable to collectors in any way? I think they're kind of interesting, but I'm only a casual collector, so I might actually prefer fully boxed versions. :)

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:37 am

That's a really nice find. I'm quite big on things like promo games and pre-retail demo discs. Not sure what the market is for 3DO collectors but you might be lucky and find some eccentric NuTs interested in this kinda gear! Cool to see it retains the original flyer as well.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:10 am

they arent worth much more then the originals (in fact they are all exactly the same as the originals), if you had the folder they go in it would be worth alot more

the ones that dont say demo disc on the CD will have a Demo copy sticker on the plastic holder

i got a folder with 15 games and the sampler #3 along with a sales rep business card, and other sorted pieces of papers, one with a top 10 sellers list and shockwave is at the top of that list :D which im missing from my folder ;) maybe we could work out a trade :)

i will post a list of my extra stuff tomorrow (i have to dig them out)
here is a pic of the folder
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/ ... older2.jpg
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:16 am

Wow, cool! I didn't expect anyone to even really know what these were, let alone have the matching binder of other games!

I don't intend or expect to ever collect the set, so I'm definitely open to a trade for Shock Wave if you're interested. I only have 12 games, so I'll take pretty much anything. :) Let me know if you have anything you're willing to part with.

(Maybe this thread should be moved to the buy/sell/trade forum?)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:30 am

maybe your right

i will PM you with what i have, so not to clutter up this thread with sales stuff :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 pm

Lemmi wrote:
maybe your right

i will PM you with what i have, so not to clutter up this thread with sales stuff :)

errrrr.... that would be a job for Administration right? Moving posts...
My first official duties and I'm going to fluff it....

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 pm

I have faith! :roll:

Although to be fair the topic is just fine in this category as we're discussing the subject.