Thoughts about Mark/CGR's "working 3DO" comments?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Anonymous

Thoughts about Mark/CGR's "working 3DO" comments?

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm

One of my favourite youtube review shows is Classic Game Room, and Mark whilst rarely an expert has a good sense of how to review a game in an amusing and sufficiantly informative way.

But when it comes to his few 3DO hardware or software reviews, i notice him always saying "if you can find a working 3DO" or something to that effect.. I dont understand what he's on about. 3DO isnt more prone to breaking than say a Sega Saturn, or Dreamcast, or original Playstation, is it?

This post may not bring too much to the table, but i wanna hear what you other people have to say about it. I think Mark has had some really bad luck with his 3DO's, because ive never heard anyone complain or mention broken 3DO's in every review. Other than the wellknown Goldstar issues.

What say you people?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm also a big fan of Classic Game Room, and I do remember him mentioning in one of his videos that his FZ-1 broke down. If you watch his review of the 3DO, which I believe was filmed not long after he got that FZ-1, his attitude towards the system is noticeably more positive. So yes, sad to say, I think the misfortune with his FZ-1 has prejudiced him slightly.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 pm

I actually commented on that vid. Apparently he just had some sort of bizzare fluke where his first few 3DO consoles were DOA (I forget how many he said) Needless to say that is extremely unusual ... :? But it's understandable how first impressions like that can color your view on the system. I'm sure more research and the passage of time will correct skewed assumptions like that.

Marks reviews of 3DO games have been pretty positive. His Road Rash review was great ... I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone gush over the game like him! CGR was late to the 3DO party, but I'm looking forward to more 3DO reviews from them (well Mark anyway, probably not Derek)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Goldstars can be kind of iffy (but of course, we all know that already!).

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 am

He's recently done Fifa and Crash'N Burn, and he mentions the broken 3DO thing in both, which finally prompted this thread. Overall he is pleased with the system, as well he should be!

Seriously though, he seems to like the games he's reviewed so far, for all the right reasons. He likes cheesy acting, and we all know thats one of the 3DO's strong points. I usually agree wholeheartedly with his 3DO reviews.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 am

i scratched my head when he mentioned that in the last few 3do clips as well.

i'm guessing he's had a bum 3do or two, and he's making that generalization.

he also gets most of that stuff as donations, so those 3do's probably have not been taken care of properly.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 am

I personally am not a great fan of the classic game Room, I think largely because he doesn't see the 3do as special as I do

At least though they don't do that thing where they play a 1990s game, then bemoan the fact it's a 1990s game.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:15 am

Well, then you should actually watch his reviews of the 3DO, 3DOkid. because he does describe it as special, usually saying the games run smoother than equal or the same game on saturn or playstation etc. I think he sees it as special and portrays it as such.

If you dont like the show, thats fair enough, but unless you are talking fetish-level special here, i think mark acknowledges what the 3DO was and was capable of in every review for it. Especially the last one, he says something like "it would have been nice to see what the 3DO couldve done in the long run".

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 pm

While I am glad CGR has finally started to show the 3DO some love, it did take them a long time. The show has been running since the late 90's. but it's only been in the past year or so that they've started covering 3DO.

I just watched the Crash 'N Burn review and (despite the cringe inducing comment that they have "one of the few working 3DO’s in exsistence") I thought it was an enthusiastic look at 3DO's launch game.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:58 pm

To be honest, Game Room, which did start in 99 i believe, only ran for what, a year? Then Mark created Classic Game Room 8 years after they stopped doing Game Room, so whilst technically its been on since the late 90's, its not been running for 12-13 years.

But regardless im glad Muhammed(spelling?) in Quatar set up Mark with a 3DO collection so he can finally do some 3DO related reviews. I like his controller review especially.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 pm

grimm wrote:To be honest, Game Room, which did start in 99 i believe, only ran for what, a year? Then Mark created Classic Game Room 8 years after they stopped doing Game Room, so whilst technically its been on since the late 90's, its not been running for 12-13 years.

But regardless im glad Muhammed(spelling?) in Quatar set up Mark with a 3DO collection so he can finally do some 3DO related reviews. I like his controller review especially.
Looks like you're right on how long it's been running, my bad. I got confused with the way they break up "seasons". Yeah, I'm also glad they're finally building a 3DO collection. 2 of the past 3 new reviews have been for 3DO games, so thats a good sign.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Problem these days is all the CD-r going on with the systems now. 3DO's are getting harder to find in working order now, sadly. Why? The lasers are quite often burnt out and people don't have the technical information or resources to fix the systems by generally replacing the lasers. It's a sad fact. The Jaguar problem has the same deal. See the Angry Video game Nerds Jaguar review. The first part was actually not too bad as his biase didn't come out until the second part when dealing with the Jaguar CD system. The "Repair" job his buddy did in the video was a jokwe to boot which hasn't helped matters either.

Makes me sad. I don't see how you can do an unbiased review on a console if you don't have a properly working one on the first place.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Makes me sad. I don't see how you can do an unbiased review on a console if you don't have a properly working one on the first place.
That's nothing. The Jaguar CD thing is little more than a postscript to a two-part Jaguar review. You need to check out his Atari 5200 review - a full 10-minute episode without a working console in sight.

But more to the point: as mentioned before, the Angry Video Game Nerd doesn't do "unbiased reviews". It's a comedy show. A comedy show with a misleading presentation, yes, but a comedy show nonetheless. Bash Rolfe for muddying his jokes with factual errors and his own genuine opinions, and then hiding behind his mantra of "The Nerd is just a fictional character", but please, PLEASE don't bash him on the assumption that a guy who uses the words "puke" and "ass" in every video is trying to do "an unbiased review".

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Or better yet, dont talk about AVGN to begin with, at the very least dont mix it with the word review.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 am

I remember coming upon CGR guy's reviews back when they were posted with those salsa dance videos non-stop. Then I made a joke about tasty dog yum yum yum for me eat and he blocked me so I couldn't be subscribed to him anymore. Oh well, so much for that.

TheRealAnubis
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TheRealAnubis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:03 pm

I haven't watched Mark's reviews, but everyone has to understand that these consoles aren't getting any younger!

A lot depends on how they were cared for, and how long/hard it was played, etc. Then again, a perfectly cared for non-abused machine can still die on you. It's part bad luck, part previous owner, part random chance..

I don't see the 3DO as any easier to break or more unreliable than any other console - in fact, I think that the higher price of the console at its first offering allowed the machine to be built with pretty solid parts.

Anyway, stuff happens - I've had a hold up on my memory expansion project because my CD-ROM motor won't fully spin up the CD anymore, and without that, I can't load any save game programs to check status/function, etc. (FZ-1)
BUT
That's just the way it goes.. I'm going to try to transplant a new motor in from a random CD-ROM and see if it works :idea: - after all, what else can I do?

I'll keep you posted on the success/fail of this newest challenge.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:39 pm

TheRealAnubis wrote: everyone has to understand that these consoles aren't getting any younger!

A lot depends on how they were cared for, and how long/hard it was played, etc. Then again, a perfectly cared for non-abused machine can still die on you. It's part bad luck, part previous owner, part random chance..

I don't see the 3DO as any easier to break or more unreliable than any other console - in fact, I think that the higher price of the console at its first offering allowed the machine to be built with pretty solid parts.

Anyway, stuff happens
Well said, and I agree.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

bonefish wrote:I remember coming upon CGR guy's reviews back when they were posted with those salsa dance videos non-stop. Then I made a joke about tasty dog yum yum yum for me eat and he blocked me so I couldn't be subscribed to him anymore. Oh well, so much for that.
No sense of humour some folk.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Or just a different taste. Blocking you was probably excessive, but i have no idea what "tasty dog yum yum yum" means in that context, so who knows.

I find mark amusing most of the time, but he isnt as funny today as he used to be, but sometimes the "old" mark shines through. I used to follow that show daily, nowadays i check it maybe 3-4 times a week and only watch the reviews i find interesting, i used to watch everything.

He is still the best show overall on youtube though, in my opinion.