Need for Speed on 3DO destroys the other 32-bit versions

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Need for Speed on 3DO destroys the other 32-bit versions

Post by a31chris » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am

I just seen a new X- man video. Nice control on the squirrleys Mario pfweee!
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm

a31chris wrote:I just seen a new X- man video. Nice control on the squirrleys Mario pfweee!
There is a code to enter on the options menu to view all videos, if you look up cheats for the game i reckon youll find it.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:46 pm

a31chris wrote:I can't figure out how to select the X man's car. I used to be able to do it but I seem to have forgotten. I have the instructions but they tell me to use the Left Right shift buttons but all that does is change my car .
Go to the picture of him, use L and R on that to change his car. The stopwatch means he is out and its just you.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:29 am

Ok thank you
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I figure this is as good a place to post this as anywhere. So, being that it's GDC 2017 time, I've been watching some talks from last GDC that have been posted recently on youtube. I came across this little tidbit: https://youtu.be/Rx6j9AOpg68?t=7m16s

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MathUser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

I did try that game but it doesn't beat the original on 3DO.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 am

I just seen a new video on how badly I suck! Awesome!!

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am

a31chris wrote:I just seen a new video on how badly I suck! Awesome!!
Which video?

I did all my times using my LiMO PRO scaler, which although pretty good and low on lag, i reckon i could do even better using the lag free XRGB-3.

Using my Faroudja DCDi scaler it was damn near impossible to clock fast times.

I reckon if i got back into it, i could further beat all my previously posted times.

Hence my sig... Since i posted my times, the "best in the world" has yet to show his face ;)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:50 am

It's interesting to look back through this thread all these years later. I recently clocked a lot of time into the 3DO version, yet in my earlier posts in the thread I hadn't clocked much time into the game and didn't really appreciate it that much. Now it's one of my favorites on the system. Once you get the hang of things it's hard to describe the feeling you get driving down these roads. It's good stuff.

So, with my interest piqued I picked up both the Saturn and PS1 versions. And you know what? I think they are pretty cool.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, there is traffic--just not in the tournament mode where you race against seven other opponents. In head to head, it mimics the 3DO original in format with cops, traffic, and you versus a single opponent.

The menu system is much better organized, is clearly labeled and easy to navigate. The soundtrack can be set to rock or electronic. Don't like the music? You can disable it. Tracks have time of day options (morning, mid-day, evening). You have more viewing options (in-car, full screen, and third-person). Third-person camera angles are actually pretty well playable, unlike the 3DO one (I could never get the hang of it in that one). Many of the non-X-Man cutscenes are still in the game. The games also support steering wheels. Overall there is more flexibility and I don't see that as a bad thing.

The most interesting thing to me is the supposed "arcade" feel I keep hearing about. I guess many look at it like that due to the speed increase, and I can understand that. I do feel like the perceived increase isn't just due to a slight bump in actual movement speed, but a combination of that and a considerably better framerate (especially in the PS1 version).

That said, I often relate "arcade racing" to also include a more twitchy control and handling scheme, but this doesn't have that. You still absolutely have to brake, and you lose most if not all turning control braking at high speeds. I actually have a harder time staying off of walls in these versions compared to the 3DO one, and it's not because I am all over the road--it's because I can't seem to turn efficiently while maintaining a high speed. The PS1 and Saturn versions definitely still have a high learning curve.

I'd say my biggest issue with these versions is the AI. It is absolutely brutal. Where I do a pretty good job winning on Professional in the 3DO version, I can't do a damn thing in the PS1 and Saturn ones. Second place is the highest I have ranked so far, and that was only once. Granted, I have only clocked a short period of time into them, so more time will be needed.

For those that want to see direct comparisons that really put things into perspective, Digital Foundry did a fantastic episode on the original Need for Speed, covering the 3DO version, the Saturn and PS1 versions, as well as both PC versions (original release and the SE version). Link: https://youtu.be/FjLXLhaGfFA

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for posting that Digital Foundry link -- they do great work. I find the full-screen (or near-full-screen) dithering on the PlayStation version surprisingly distracting.