I've had a rough weekend

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Neurosis138
3DO ZERO USER

I've had a rough weekend

Post by Neurosis138 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:37 pm

So this weekend i decided to start collecting 3do. I ended up buying one off craigslist which the cd does not load any games. This pissed me off. I ended up buying a 2nd one from another guy who claims it works great. I get it home and the damn cd drive wont open. I take it apart and it has old sticky soda inside, and no amount of cleaning will allow it to open freely. Does anyone have an exta working cd drive i can install into one of these?
Last edited by Neurosis138 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: I've had a shitty weekend

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:58 am

Neurosis138 wrote:So this weekend i decided to start collecting 3do. I ended up buying one off craigslist which the cd does not load any games. This pissed me off. I ended up buying a 2nd one from another guy who claims i works great. I get it home and the damn cd drive wont open. I take it apart and it has old sticky soda inside, and no amount of cleaning will allow it to open freely. Does anyone have an exta working cd drive i can install into one of these bastards?
Potty mouth on first post. consider me irked.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 am

3DOKid wrote:
Neurosis138 wrote:So this weekend i decided to start collecting 3do. I ended up buying one off craigslist which the cd does not load any games. This pissed me off. I ended up buying a 2nd one from another guy who claims i works great. I get it home and the damn cd drive wont open. I take it apart and it has old sticky soda inside, and no amount of cleaning will allow it to open freely. Does anyone have an exta working cd drive i can install into one of these bastards?
Potty mouth on first post. consider me irked.
pttf.
no matter what american TV thinks DAMN and BASTARDS are not swear words, both have been in titles of movies :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 am

Lemmi wrote:pttf.
no matter what american TV thinks DAMN and BASTARDS are not swear words, both have been in titles of movies :P
Hell*, both words are in the King James Bible! But I think it's the thread title that's more of an issue...

*(see what I did there?)

To the OP: I assume you're using real pressed 3DO discs, right? If you're trying to make a go of it with burned games and don't have a real 3DO disc to test with, you should know that the 3DO can be very finicky with CDRs. When I first tried burning games, I assumed I was doing it improperly -- they didn't even appear to try to boot -- but I eventually realized that the disc's file structure was fine, it was just that the 3DO was balking at anything that wasn't burned just so, and it had to be on high-quality media like Taiyo Yuden. And mine is a FZ-1 which is supposedly fairly tolerant; who knows what a GoldStar would do.

By contrast, I've found that the Sega CD and PlayStation are far more friendly to CDRs. My Sega CD unit even seems to prefer them, so long as they're on quality media.

Neurosis138
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Neurosis138 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Ok, I edited the title. I'm using original discs. I've had a 3DO in the past, so I know that they can be picky with burnt copies. I tried to take apart the cd drive in each, and ended up screwing them up even more. The cd drive/laser design is hard to work on, at least for me. At this point, I just need a replacement cd drive unit in working order to drop in to one of them, or a whole new working replacement 3do. Can anyone help me out?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:18 pm

That's right. I was 'trying' to protect your delicate American sensibilities. ;)

f**k it.

Yes, welcome to the forum.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 pm

*grabs a can of ban from the fridge*

Haven't opened one of these in a while... nice and cold.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 am

haha what was the bad word in the title?
i must of missed that one
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host