3do memory mod

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3do4599
3DO ZERO USER

3do memory mod

Post by 3do4599 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:05 am

sorry if i posted this in the wrong section im wondering if theres a waqy to increase the 3do save memory with out having to buy the memory addon which is impossible to find if it helps i have the FZ1 front loader im getting tired of compressing and decompressing my game saves also if there is a mod is there a guide on how to do the mod thanks

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am

I think the only option is the add-on actually. Since you already are compressing data im assuming you are using the Game Guru already, which wouldve been my other suggestion.

It is tedious yes.. If you however can find, and afford, the addon, you have more than enough room. But that one is tricky to use untill you learn how. Mine had been sitting for years, and i had forgotten the japanese menues. Ended up deleting old files. That sucked.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 am

It looks like an expanded memory mod will never be made. All 3DO's have the same 32kb. Even the add-on had the same amount just multiple banks. With the emulators it's the same story.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 am

Not entirely true. Years ago, a fellow took apart his FZ-1, and upgraded the memory. I forget if he soldered in a board or replaced the chip or what, but he did and it worked. If I remember correctly, he renamed it the 3DOX and painted it silver.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:58 am

It's very interesting that the architecture would allow him to do that. I'd love to see how it was achieved!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:40 am

If I remember, this was back in 2001-2002 so that should place all the photos and chat about it maybe on one of the old 3DO usenet groups. I forget if there was a forum back then though. I do however remember the fellow talking about it, posting pictures and going over how much memory he added and the procedure and all that.