Eye of Typhoon - Does it even exist?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Eye of Typhoon - Does it even exist?

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 pm

So the related bar on Youtube made me stumble across what appears to be a really interesting Korean fighting game for the 3DO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVP7DHhgWc

Finding a Wikipedia page, apparently it was planned as a Neo Geo game but that version was scrapped and the only versions to see the light of day were MS-DOS and 3DO variations, exclusively in South Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Typhoon

Of course I searched and searched on eBay and the internet for a copy or ISO image, but no such luck. This seems to be one of the more elusive (and enticing) games in the 3DO library. My only guess is that the game was never officially released and that only a rare prototype exists, whose footage is shown in the video and recorded by whoever first made it. I did stumble across this very interesting thread though, by a guy who after considerable effort believes it was never even on 3DO, and that the Youtube video must not be 100% honest.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9657
The video on YouTube has a guy that says he shot the video himself on his computer, but the video clearly states "captured by the 3DO collective" which was apparently some old 3DO fan website. I asked him about this on YouTube and he blocked me and now moderates his comments to keep people from exposing the issue.
So at the very least the uploader himself doesn't appear to be honest, and is either a coward or is hiding something (or both.) Majestic_Lizard goes on to say that this whole deal is probably a hoax for evilbay users to get hundreds of dollars out of 3DO loyalists. I wouldn't be surprised but would like to be proven wrong.

Does anyone know of this site, the 3DO Collective? Or who made the video originally and thus had the copy of the game? Or was that video really the MS-DOS version and a fake? The latter seems less likely, but again, people have seemed to be tricked by this game. Although I doubt the entire thing is a myth.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm

The 3DO Collective belongs to our very own Gir Draxa. As for the game I have seen one that was opened for sale once. All the rest that I've ever seen were shrinkwrapped.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:01 pm

3DO Experience wrote:The 3DO Collective belongs to our very own Gir Draxa. As for the game I have seen one that was opened for sale once. All the rest that I've ever seen were shrinkwrapped.
Thanks, I PM'd him! I guess that confirms its existence. Trust me, I don't like bringing up ISO discussion here (and I'm not requesting) but I still really wonder why I couldn't find one out there on the net when copies do exist and there does seem to be some interest. Does it have to do with being Korean? Are there very, very few copies out there? I don't want anyone to go out of their way to dump for me but a link would be nice, I've looked forever. Still, I'm not alone in my search so it's probably futile.
BAD

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm

I believe Bitrate has photos of EOT in his collection thread.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 pm

It would be awesome. However if someone was going make a ISO of it i'm sure they would have by now and it would be all over the net just like when Armaggedon, firewall, and Battle Blues was released .. heck you can even find korean versions of off world interceptor, shockwave, total eclipse, and Slam n jam if you look hard enough.

Some other things I have not seen anywhere are the system bios for a live system or the arcade bios used for Orbatak, Shootout at Old Tuscan, and Mad Dog Mcree II.

Eventually if someone wants to do it will happen. However I would never expect anyone to open a sealed game they paid $1500+ US for to dump it.

LOL I have a heard enough time talking folks into scanning images for me.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:22 am

Dreygor wrote:It would be awesome. However if someone was going make a ISO of it i'm sure they would have by now and it would be all over the net just like when Armaggedon, firewall, and Battle Blues was released .. heck you can even find korean versions of off world interceptor, shockwave, total eclipse, and Slam n jam if you look hard enough.

Some other things I have not seen anywhere are the system bios for a live system or the arcade bios used for Orbatak, Shootout at Old Tuscan, and Mad Dog Mcree II.

Eventually if someone wants to do it will happen. However I would never expect anyone to open a sealed game they paid $1500+ US for to dump it.

That's interesting. A shame it's so obscure, probably because it was only released in Korea, and, well is on the 3DO. I would gladly spend 50 dollars or so on a copy but not much more than that, 1500 is absolutely ridiculous for any video game so I guess it's just waiting for someone to find it for a price they find reasonable enough to open and burn. Until that happens I'll probably never have a chance to play it. Or would it only be 1500 for a new copy? Could I get it less used?
BAD

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am

NOTE: TALK OF ROM IMAGES AND THERE DUMPING IS PROHIBITED.

(and do as I say, not as I do :) )

Once my money is all sorted out I'll do it.

So, I'd crack it open and dump it in a heart beat.

Dreygor wrote:It would be awesome. However if someone was going make a ISO of it i'm sure they would have by now and it would be all over the net just like when Armaggedon, firewall, and Battle Blues was released .. heck you can even find korean versions of off world interceptor, shockwave, total eclipse, and Slam n jam if you look hard enough.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Dreygor wrote:
There is version of the FZ-10 BIOS floating about with the RSA check disabled that will boot unsigned discs. You can use that in 4DO to get those games to boot. There are no JAMMA controls though, so the games are unplayable.

Getting arcade controls working in 4DO might prove to be difficult. Getting the specific controllers hooked to an emulated 3do seems to have been pretty difficult so far for those who have tried.

Also, I think there was a version of FreeDO that booted those games with any bios... 1.7 I think it was, maybe 1.6?... One of the versions had the signed disc check disabled.

If you are really feeling adventurous, you can sign the discs and they will boot.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Austin wrote:I believe Bitrate has photos of EOT in his collection thread.
Yes two of them, but they are both sealed. If I hadn't seen photos of one that wasn't I would be open to the idea that they aren't real. It would be both funny and sad but also one of the best scams ever.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:52 am

It's been dumped. I won't provide the links, but it figured it would bump this thread rather than another one.

Dreygor seems to have seen it leak as well. http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... 3&start=30

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks for bumping this, I completely forgot about this thread. I also managed to snag this game!

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:00 am

Lol, I was asking whether dumps existed for this and a few other games on another site, and after getting responses telling me it would never happen, one of the site's devotees put it up just by coincidence. :lol:

It's funny, EotT has long been considered the rarest 3DO title, but it seems that some titles may be even harder to find - for example, bitrate is the only person I've seen with Oilman or the Time Warner Music Group disc.. Of course, it could be that they're easier to find, but there's just less hype about them.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Well I've def seen more copies of Eye of Typhoon than Oilman but I have seen three copies of Oilman and I hadn't even heard of the Time Warner Music Group disc until bitrate posted photos.

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Yeah, I'm compiling a list of every 3DO disc I can prove existed, and I keep finding new titles almost every day! It really makes the 3DO a lot more fun to collect for than, say, the Sega CD. I collect for a lot of consoles, and while on most other consoles it's just a matter of throwing money at eBay, the 3DO has so many "mystery" titles - I still see threads where people doubted the existence of EotT, and I just heard about 4 titles for the first time this year alone!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 pm

I don't know what you've found so I don't know if this will help at all but here is an out-of-date list of what I have. It's not too out of date. if you want something a little bit better I can generate a list from my archives. I made a digital copy of every 3DO game I own. Keeping my fingers crossed for the day the IDE Adaptors can be ordered.

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am

Lol, well, remember what I said about finding new titles everyday? Well, I found more than a few things on the page you linked to. Impressive collection, BTW!! :shock:

You know, finding out about these rare titles is a double edged sword. It's nice to know that I'm closer to learning about all the titles that existed, but that much further from ever owning them. :cry:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Collecting games can be bittersweet.