Fondest Memory?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Fondest Memory?

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 pm

I know... I know...

We've had this thread before but, what's your fondest 3DO memory?

Mine is the pre-launch hype. You lucky Americans had the 3DO a year before us limeys. The build up was awesome. I remember being desperate for any information. The magazines, the internet, every nugget of 3DO information had the value of diamond encrusted gold.

Launch day. September 1994, i convinced my sister to lend me the £200 i needed (to add to my £200) and i went to the Octagon Center in Burton to buy my 3DO on launch day.

...nearly 20 years ago !

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Mine was getting my FZ-1 for christmas in '93 after bugging the crap out of my parents. It was the only thing I got that year. I think the US launch date was october or november. I remember it being the latest greatest thing.

The following year I graduated high school.

Then my worst memory was when I joined the military and and went home on leave after boot camp and my mom told me she sold my fz-1 in a yard sale because I didn't play it anymore.

*walks away pouting*
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:55 pm

You are lucky to get a total christmas gift value worth $700 in those days to begin with. That was, and to me still is, a small fortune. My sister and i got a C64, and later a NES, but that was prolly the most expensive gifts we got.

As for fondest memory, i dunno really. Probably when i first played WC3 with the flight stick.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 pm

I was pretty lucky as a kid. If I still had all those GI joes, transformers and he-man figures I would be rich. Not to mention my c64 and a NES with TONS of games. BAh .. i was a dumb kid .. but who knew?

Years later I was talking to my mom and she told me that each year her and my dad set a limit of around $1000 for me every year (my bratty sister got just as much). So within that amount they usually got us what we wanted. Also I need to point out that my birthday is the 23rd of Dec .. sooooo ive never had a birthday party as they combined that with christmas.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 pm

mine is when funcoland opened its first store in my area, in 1997

i got a goldstar 3do which i still have
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:29 am

Mine would have to be when I first got Star Control 2 from the discount rack at Wal-Mart, ripping off the plastic, and finding that cool little map inside the box. I knew I was gonna be in for something good, but I didn't realize HOW good it would be.

I can still remember the first time I got angry after hearing Commander Hayes saying "Light load this time, Captain..." I DID MY BEST. WHAT DID HE EXPECT FROM A CHILD?!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Me and about 3 friends stayed up almost an entire night to beat Myst on 3DO.

Sure it was ported to a million consoles, but we were on a 3DO marathon that weekend. It took the effort of every person to get through that damn game, and each puzzle was super rewarding.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 am

Staying up all night with my buddies, playing Need For Speed. We'd race our real cars during the day and our virtual cars at night.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 am

bitrate wrote:Staying up all night with my buddies, playing Need For Speed. We'd race our real cars during the day and our virtual cars at night.
Sounds like you reversed logic there.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 am

...unless he's a racing driver. ;)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 am

True. At some levels/diciplines you do own your own race car.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 pm

That said, i never heard R J Mical owned a racing car.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:25 am

And ive never heard of R J Mical.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:28 am

grimm wrote:
bitrate wrote:Staying up all night with my buddies, playing Need For Speed. We'd race our real cars during the day and our virtual cars at night.
Sounds like you reversed logic there.

There was a local 1/4 mile strip that was free to enter during day hours and pay-to-enter at night.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 am

I sincerely hope Grimm was trolling
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 am

Me too.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm

I was not. I looked him up and aparently he is a big name in gaming. I, on the other hand just enjoy what those people create, rather than the celebrity some give them.. I dont know the name of who created Mario either, but i think i might recognize him from a photo.

I dont "troll", i simply speak my mind and opinions. In this case im ignorant towards the big names, and im fine with that. Its not because of _them_ im into games. I dont keep track of all the people who made films i have really enjoyed either.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:48 pm

I was wondering who R J Mical is, too. I know the names of a select few game makers who have been involved with my favorite games... Hiroyuki and Shugo Takahashi, Yasuhiro Taguchi, Eric Lindstrom, Richard Jacques, maybe two or three others, but generally I don't see the point of knowing who's who in the biz. Development teams are massive nowadays, and I don't understand what 90% of the people in each team actually do, so it's impossible for me to really associate the individuals who made the game with any aspect of the game itself.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't know nearly as many names as I should, but I will admit it's good information to have if you want to have a clearer picture when it comes to the history of gaming. Often times, you will find that people helped develop or pioneer more things than you initially thought. For instance, R.J. Mical also co-developed the Lynx. It's interesting stuff when you really look into it and figure out who did what, when and where. At least for me, I find it fun and intriguing, discovering these connections.

Funny enough, looking him up now, I didn't even realize he had worked for Sony, managing their PlayStation line. :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I think we put too much emphisys (spelling?) on single individuals when we "write history", be it political, war, music, games and what not.. Its not individual people who make history, it is events. These events are accumulations of many different people, involded to one degree or another.. Thats prolly why i dont know the non-obvious people etc..

But i think im done diverting from the topic now, so ill stop there.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Grimm, I think you need to get out more. :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Hell no. The world is mean. My games are not.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm

grimm wrote:I think we put too much emphisys (spelling?) on single individuals when we "write history", be it political, war, music, games and what not.. Its not individual people who make history, it is events. These events are accumulations of many different people, involded to one degree or another.. Thats prolly why i dont know the non-obvious people etc..

What a load of crap. The events wouldn't happen if it weren't for the motivated individuals: Gandhi, Nobonaga, Napoleon, Drake, Hitler, Edison, Einstein.

One more hint of trolling from you and you're banned. Understand?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Martin III wrote:...Development teams are massive nowadays, and I don't understand what 90% of the people in each team actually do, so it's impossible for me to really associate the individuals who made the game with any aspect of the game itself.
Check out the credits to Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, you'll fall asleep watching them they are so long. :lol:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm

3DOKid wrote:What a load of crap. The events wouldn't happen if it weren't for the motivated individuals: Gandhi, Nobonaga, Napoleon, Drake, Hitler, Edison, Einstein.

Im not trying to "troll".. Lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that? ive never tried to force anyone to agree with me.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:55 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Martin III wrote:...Development teams are massive nowadays, and I don't understand what 90% of the people in each team actually do, so it's impossible for me to really associate the individuals who made the game with any aspect of the game itself.
Check out the credits to Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, you'll fall asleep watching them they are so long. :lol:
Yeah i agree, credits are as long as film credits are nowadays.. Its almost refreshing to see a small group, or just one person, in credits on some indie or homebrew titles :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 pm

3DOKid wrote:
grimm wrote:I think we put too much emphisys (spelling?) on single individuals when we "write history", be it political, war, music, games and what not.. Its not individual people who make history, it is events. These events are accumulations of many different people, involded to one degree or another.. Thats prolly why i dont know the non-obvious people etc..

What a load of crap. The events wouldn't happen if it weren't for the motivated individuals: Gandhi, Nobonaga, Napoleon, Drake, Hitler, Edison, Einstein.

Am I the only one that thinks this response is a bit extreme? :?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:Mine would have to be when I first got Star Control 2 from the discount rack at Wal-Mart, ripping off the plastic, and finding that cool little map inside the box. I knew I was gonna be in for something good, but I didn't realize HOW good it would be.

I can still remember the first time I got angry after hearing Commander Hayes saying "Light load this time, Captain..." I DID MY BEST. WHAT DID HE EXPECT FROM A CHILD?!
Mine is Star Control 2 too. I was in Boy Scouts and remember fantasizing about playing the game while I was out camping. I had hobbies of conflicting interests I suppose.

I got it on a whim at Funcoland without knowing anything about it. I liked Star Fighter and figured I'd try something else "star"-y. I got the game loose so I played without a starmap, which was brutal. At some point I got the 3DO Hint Books 1 and 2 which had enough info for me to beat it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 am

Boy Scouts for me wasn't a hobby--it was a forced endeavor I didn't care for that my parents made me pursue (fortunately, they let me drop out early :)). I think most of my time spent there was daydreaming about playing games at home. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 am

Austin wrote:Boy Scouts for me wasn't a hobby--it was a forced endeavor I didn't care for that my parents made me pursue (fortunately, they let me drop out early :)). I think most of my time spent there was daydreaming about playing games at home. :lol:
It'd be more fun if you had cookies like the girls.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5