Ekiden

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Ekiden

Post by bitrate » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I picked this up recently. This is another 3DO title I wasn't sure existed. There doesn't seem to be any information on it. Like Oilman, I can't even find a picture.

It's been on my "might exist" list for years. I think the only other place that even mentions it is 3DO Today's "The Incomplete 3DO Game List", which is probably where I got the name to put on my list to begin with.

So, I guess the question becomes, where did 3DO Today hear about this title from?

Anyway, here is a picture:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 am

Okay, so what is it?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:41 am

Google found site of Katsumi Mimura, who participated in development of this game in 1995. My expirience in English isn't good, so let's compile list of questions and e-mail him.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Okay, so what is it?
I don't know. It's factory sealed and I was hoping not to have to open it. :D

Silentman wrote:Google found site of Katsumi Mimura, who participated in development of this game in 1995. My expirience in English isn't good, so let's compile list of questions and e-mail him.

Nice find. I'd settle for just knowing what it's about.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 am

How can you post a vid of it on Youtube if you don't open it? :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 am

Trev wrote:How can you post a vid of it on Youtube if you don't open it? :wink:
He's right ya know! I second this.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Factory sealed? Probably the rarest 3DO game on earth?

I might just go and have a little weep. No mind right?

PS: I'm in San Francisco enjoying all the fun Jet Lag has to offer.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Trev wrote:How can you post a vid of it on Youtube if you don't open it? :wink:
JohnnyDude wrote:He's right ya know! I second this.

I'm looking into the possibilities of using a tightly focused stream of neutrinos and measuring phase variance to detect peaks and valleys on the disk.

3DOKid wrote:Factory sealed? Probably the rarest 3DO game on earth?

I might just go and have a little weep. No mind right?

PS: I'm in San Francisco enjoying all the fun Jet Lag has to offer.

So far, it's the rarest 3DO title I'm aware of.
I might just have to open it. I still would like to question the person Silentman discovered, if possible.

By the way 3DOKid, when you are done with business in San Francisco, take a short 7 hour drive down to LA and we can go grab a drink. Grab T2kFreeker on the way over too. :wink:

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Ekiden

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Sat May 05, 2012 5:37 am

Very few things fascinate me as much as obscure Japanese 3DO games. Kamachi's Museum might just be the greatest thing humanity ever produced. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm dying to see it.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm

A very very long time ago, 1998, 1997? Somewhere around then, there was a small flood of these up on Yahoo auctions. The US Yahoo, back when they still ran an auction site. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to afford it back then as they were all quite pricey. I think someone got a box of them and sold em off one at a time.

It was pricey at the time since I had, around that time, won another Yahoo auction of about 60 or 70 Japanese 3DO games for about 250 bucks. ...and that lot had stuff like New Hows, Kamachi's Museum, Virtual Puppet Reika and Miyuki Nakajima. Now if only I could find the pictures of all these things I copied down back then from the original auctions. Hmmm, time to start searching.

If I remember correctly, and that's questionable since it was so damn long ago, I think it was a sports game of some sort. I haven't even thought of this game since then and most definately haven't seen another copy. I wonder what happened to all the ones that sold though. They must be somewhere.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 am

Nice info Hound.

1997 - 1998 was a bit before I got into heavy collecting for the 3DO. It would be awesome if you could find saved pictures from back then.

So, you think that it might be a sports game of some sort? That's interesting. I wonder if there is any additional information in the Japanese writing on the front?

pmerrill
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pmerrill » Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 am

A google search reveals:

The term originated in Japan, although the concept of a long distance relay race is probably not original or unique to any country. The first ekiden race was sponsored by the Yomiuri Shimbun in 1917, and was run over three days between the old Japanese capital of Kyoto and the modern capital of Tokyo, a distance of 508 km, to celebrate the anniversary of the moving of the capital to Tokyo.