Wacky Races - Space Race?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Wacky Races - Space Race?

Post by Austin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:26 am

So, I gave the first Wacky Races a shot (it's a Japan import). It was awful. Just. Terrible.

I haven't tried the second one though (Space Race). Has anyone given it a shot? Is it even remotely improved over the original? My guess is that it's not, but I'd like to hear from someone that may possibly have tried it.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:56 am

I have not tried either of the two games, but I do believe I read somewhere that the second one was the superior game.
It is a very old/vague memory, though.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 am

Hm, maybe I will "try" it then. ;)

It's not terribly expensive on eBay. Under $20 as far as I can tell.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:45 am

I'm not sure about this at all, but I seem to recall that the second game was said to be better because it allowed you to race.

If things weren't such a mess around my house right now I would pull out my copy and try it.
Maybe someone else here owns the game and can chime in?

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 am

I'll be sorting my 3DO games out tomorrow - I'll give it a go
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Bitrate is correct, the 2nd Wacky Races game does allow you to actually. race. So it is better than the 1st game, although the actual racing is pretty clunky if I remember right. I find these games are mostly good for the eye candy of the still shots.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Haha, I had a feeling that's how it would be. Given the low quality of the first game, I wonder why they even thought it would be a good idea to make a sequel? I guess with that I had a tiny bit of hope that it would be enough of an improvement to be an enjoyable little gem, but I suppose I am wrong (again! drats!). :lol:

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 am

I fired this up tonight in hopes of getting a quick, Mario Kart-ish fix with my fiancée. Instead, we were hit with six minutes worth of unskippable cutscenes in agitated Japanese, followed by something that looked like a point-and-click adventure.

So I guess we missed the racing option, not to mention that it's single-player only so it wouldn't have done the trick. But from a glance on Youtube it looks like I didn't miss much, since if the video is accurate, the framerate is almost as bad as BC Racers in 2-player mode.

(We also tried that [BC Racers] tonight, and it's literally unplayable with two people. The first course is bad enough, averaging something like 5 fps, but on the second, spooky course, the framerate tumbles to 1-2 fps and it becomes totally impossible to control or see where you're going.)

BTW has anyone put together a good, solid list of 2P games for the 3DO, especially something that deals with the Japanese exclusives too (and specifies which variations to play where appropriate)? I poked around in the menus of a couple of the Warp collections tonight, but after the third dead end or so, I gave up.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 am

Because it was software that a Wacky Races (チキチキマシン猛レース) was released at the same time when 3DO was released in Japan, as for this software, there seemed to be much release number.
However, the evaluation of the world was miserable because the game contents were the contents which only expected a simple race result without being able to operate a race car.
(However, the splendor of the picture of this software had good reputation)
Based on a result, the sequel was improved to operate a race car, but the evaluation was lower than a previous work because important quality was disappointing.
As a result, the first item is thought to be superior goods, and a sequel seems to be a thought to be クソゲー. :D

By the way, I did not play BC Race.
I thought that it was an interesting game.

Is it that? Is it different? :shock:
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri May 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Very interesting post, Fujisan!

By the way, my understanding is that the Wacky Races cartoon was very popular in Japan for some reason, much more than other Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Is that correct?
FUJISAN wrote:By the way, I did not play BC Race.
I thought that it was an interesting game.

Is it that? Is it different? :shock:
I think the one-player mode is OK, but from what I understand, the Sega CD version is supposed to have a better framerate. The Sega 32X version also has a bad reputation. I've only played those versions for ~5-10 minutes, though, so I'm not sure.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm

goldenband wrote: (We also tried that [BC Racers] tonight, and it's literally unplayable with two people. The first course is bad enough, averaging something like 5 fps, but on the second, spooky course, the framerate tumbles to 1-2 fps and it becomes totally impossible to control or see where you're going.)
It's awful isn't it ... what really bugs me is that Goldstar was behind the port ... you'd think somebody invested in 3DO hardware would want to make sure that good games were making it on the platform.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Sat May 11, 2013 12:43 am

[quote="goldenband"]Very interesting post, Fujisan!

By the way, my understanding is that the Wacky Races cartoon was very popular in Japan for some reason, much more than other Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Is that correct?

[quote="FUJISAN"]By the way, I did not play BC Race.

Wacky Races was broadcasted by the name of "チキチキマシン猛レース" in Japan in about 1970, but was a very popular program in those days.

Most of children of the about 1970s in Japan watched the comic of the Hannah bar seawife and were brought up. :)
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

Thanking you in advance.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sun May 12, 2013 2:03 am

Fujisan, this is a very bold request, but would you be willing to transcribe any of the text from the introduction to Wacky Races 2 / Chiki Chiki Machine Mou Race 2? I'm very curious what they're saying! :D Even if you can write a little bit of it down, that's much easier for me to understand than if I try to figure it out by ear (since watashi-wa nihongo shaberenai, really).

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 am

goldenband wrote:Fujisan, this is a very bold request, but would you be willing to transcribe any of the text from the introduction to Wacky Races 2 / Chiki Chiki Machine Mou Race 2? I'm very curious what they're saying! :D Even if you can write a little bit of it down, that's much easier for me to understand than if I try to figure it out by ear (since watashi-wa nihongo shaberenai, really).

I do my best and challenge it! :D
I'm sorry.

Thanking you in advance.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Wonderful, FUJISAN! I am very grateful, and I look forward to seeing the results. :D