Variants and such...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Variants and such...

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Before I start here, I wanna apologize if these things have been brought up before. I tried using the search function and came up with no results so here goes!

I recently bought a Goldstar 3DO from a store in town here. It was good timing, as my FZ-10 was starting to run into some annoying issues and wasn't running at 100%. It probably just needs a cleaning on the inside but any excuse to buy a bit of 3DO hardware is good by me. I've been using the Goldstar as my main machine since I bought it, hoping I wouldn't run into the issues that I've heard about. Obviously, I've run into an issue.

It's in PO'ed. It won't load the level Pompous Medium Rare, I guess because of issues with the original Goldstar model loading files above 1 MB in size? I can use the level select cheat to go to the level after that, but it feels a bit hollow, y'know? In my searches on the internet, I came across the following tidbit from the 3DO Cheat List on 3DO Today.:
[Note: The Sanyo 3DO and the early model of the Goldstar 3DO [which is
identifiable in that you must snap the disc onto the tray, rather than just
set it on the tray] cannot load files greater than one megabyte which leaves
four levels on POed unplayable: POMPOUS Medium Rare, RAPA NUI, and PUZZLE
Any Channel has corrected the problem and offers a fix to those that send
in the disc with the serial number of their Goldstar/Sanyo 3DO. Call Any
Channel or 3DO Co. for full details.]
Does anyone know if there is any validity to this? Is there a fixed disc that exists and if so, how do you tell them apart? I know that Killing Time has that fixed disc that is black but I've never heard of a fixed PO'ed before.

Along the same lines, I've noticed that the copy of Star Fighter that I own has a different box from what I've seen online. How many different variant releases (for the same region, of course) are there on 3DO games? I've heard of different boxes for Street Fighter and Burning Soldier. Is there anything else?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Re: Variants and such...

Post by bitrate » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 pm

FrumpleOrz wrote:Along the same lines, I've noticed that the copy of Star Fighter that I own has a different box from what I've seen online. How many different variant releases (for the same region, of course) are there on 3DO games? I've heard of different boxes for Street Fighter and Burning Soldier. Is there anything else?

I've wanted to do a comparison thread on the different versions of same-region 3DO games for a while now.

When I took pictures of my collection I ran into quite a few different versions of games that I didn't know existed. Small details on the boxes or disks that I never noticed before.

Out of curiosity, do you have a pic of your Star Fighter box that you could post?

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

bitrate wrote:
FrumpleOrz wrote:Along the same lines, I've noticed that the copy of Star Fighter that I own has a different box from what I've seen online. How many different variant releases (for the same region, of course) are there on 3DO games? I've heard of different boxes for Street Fighter and Burning Soldier. Is there anything else?

I've wanted to do a comparison thread on the different versions of same-region 3DO games for a while now.

When I took pictures of my collection I ran into quite a few different versions of games that I didn't know existed. Small details on the boxes or disks that I never noticed before.

Out of curiosity, do you have a pic of your Star Fighter box that you could post?

I'm at work right now but I'll snap a picture when I get home tonight.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 pm

There are a few older threads that mention variants like this to varying degrees, but it would be cool if there was a central location for all the info w/pics & such.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 pm

^ Stickied, too, would be nice. :)

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 am

bitrate wrote:

UGH. My bad. I have Starblade and I'm dense and didn't know the difference. Blerg. IGNORE ME.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 pm

If someone wants to dig up the posts I'll put them together and make a sticky. I'll even put it in the Popular Topics
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:14 am

I did one on Crash 'n Burn differences here: http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 am

Since that was your post and you are doing a comparison thread as we speak I'll just make yours a sticky.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

Sounds good. I'll throw up a couple of more variants shortly in that thread.