Recent 3DO Purchases

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Recent 3DO Purchases

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:29 am

I got Total Eclipse and Star Wars: Rebel Assault, both with manuals and without boxes, for under $20 on Ebay. Was pretty pleased with that deal until I got the games and saw that the discs really are pretty scratched up. I'm sure the seller was telling the truth about them being play-tested, but I'll have to say a prayer that neither of them crashes at a later point in the game.

At any rate, as mentioned in one of my earliest posts of these boards, I'm very excited to play Total Eclipse. Poking through the manual, I see much of the gameplay is the same as Solar Eclipse, which is a darn good thing in my book.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 am

Both good games imo. The only real knocks I have are that Total Eclipse can get frustrating in the later levels (darn tunnels!) and Rebel Assault isn't 3DO enhanced. Still fun, good memories.

One of my most recent 3DO purchases is Syndicate (had it years ago, but vanshed who knows where)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:13 am

Curious to know your thoughts after you've played it, especially if you have only played Solar Eclipse (a game I like very much). I still to this day can't get into Total Eclipse, even though I try to make myself every now and then.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:18 am

I've been on an insane buying spree lately. In the past week, I've picked up the following:

Total Eclipse (SO FREAKING HARD BUT SO MUCH FUN)
Shockwave
Putt-Putt Joins The Parade
PaTaank
Offworld Interceptor

The week prior, my buddy was out of town and came back with a bunch of rad stuff for me too.

Two copies of PO'ed, one sealed, one complete.
Lemmings
Wing Commander 3 (I actually had to take a break from this one because I wasn't sleeping much and ended up late for work because of it. It's so good though...)
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (It seems like one I'll really like, I'm a big P'n'C fan but I have to try and deal with the terrible terrible music and voices)
Starfighter (Sealed)
Burning Soldier
ALG Game Gun (I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH FUN MAD DOG 2 IS WITH THIS THING!)

I've also got four more coming in the mail:

Myst
Family Feud
Shockwave 2
Cyberdillo

Yeah, maybe I've gone a little overboard... Still! It's like Christmas constantly!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 am

Wow, that's quite the stash you've picked up recently FrumpleOrz! Have fun! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 am

I miss my Total Eclipse box. :cry: Luckily the manual was safe.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 pm

A couple weeks ago I payed for a 3DO and a bunch of odds and ends. About 10 controllers, 2 mice, 2 joysticks, a bunch of boxed games (only one sealed: Immercenary). 80 games in total. I'm unsure which are of significant value.

The main reason I got it was for the joysticks. I'm going to try to emulate it in 4DO. I wanted a gun too, but there wasn't one in there.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

I got on a 3DO kick about two months ago and started buying stuff again. Partially because I got the "bug" again, and partially because I had sold all of my collection sometime in the last year (stupidly--have no idea now why I did. there was probably a good reason).

In that period (up to about a few weeks ago), I picked up:

Mazer (CIB)
Crash 'n Burn (CIB long-box version)
Wolfenstein 3D (CIB)
Guardian War (CIB)
Microcosm (CIB)
Theme Park (CIB)
Shockwave 1 & 2 (Both CIB)
Shot Warp (import--CIB, minus the bonuses)
Rush 'n Fire Megadas (CIB, import)
Flopon/Furupon the Space Mutant (CIB, import)
Insecter War (CIB, import)
Battle Pinball (CIB, import)
Bladeforce (CD/jewel case/instructions, no long box)
Bust-A-Move (CD/jewel case/instructions, no long box)

Qcombus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Qcombus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:A couple weeks ago I payed for a 3DO and a bunch of odds and ends. About 10 controllers, 2 mice, 2 joysticks, a bunch of boxed games (only one sealed: Immercenary). 80 games in total. I'm unsure which are of significant value.

The main reason I got it was for the joysticks. I'm going to try to emulate it in 4DO. I wanted a gun too, but there wasn't one in there.
Well I have a gun but since I don't have a CRT TV anymore it doesn't really get much use. If you'd like, I could send it to you since these days I must admit I play more 3DO games with 4DO than my actual FZ-1 (a mostly dead laser gave a slight push I must admit). The point is 4DO is a great emulator and I hope one day it will be a 100% accurate 3DO emulator.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 am

JohnnyDude wrote:A couple weeks ago I payed for a 3DO and a bunch of odds and ends. About 10 controllers, 2 mice, 2 joysticks, a bunch of boxed games (only one sealed: Immercenary). 80 games in total. I'm unsure which are of significant value.

When you say joysticks, are you referring to the flightstick thing? How are those? Are they worth picking up for any games that can use them? I know Wing Commander 3 and Bladeforce are compatible and I'm curious if it adds a nice dimension to anything. After finding out how much fun ALG games are with the gun, i.e. they become playable and aren't just a live action game of Memory, I'm curious to try some of the other accessories.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:

When you say joysticks, are you referring to the flightstick thing? How are those? Are they worth picking up for any games that can use them? I know Wing Commander 3 and Bladeforce are compatible and I'm curious if it adds a nice dimension to anything. After finding out how much fun ALG games are with the gun, i.e. they become playable and aren't just a live action game of Memory, I'm curious to try some of the other accessories.
I just tried it out the joystick tonight. It made Star Fighter's controls much more bearable. I couldn't find Killing Time, but I want to try that! It'll certainly be clunky on the hardware, but imagine how much more slick it would be in 4DO if you could use the analog portions of your game pads normally!

Also, it appears that one of my two 3DO's has died. It was the 3DO I bought when I first started 4DO. :( I'm sure glad that 3DO lot I bought had a 3DO with it! The disc drive is clearly the dead part... I hear they are reparable.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 am

Qcombus wrote:

Well I have a gun but since I don't have a CRT TV anymore it doesn't really get much use. If you'd like, I could send it to you since these days I must admit I play more 3DO games with 4DO than my actual FZ-1 (a mostly dead laser gave a slight push I must admit). The point is 4DO is a great emulator and I hope one day it will be a 100% accurate 3DO emulator.
I wouldn't feel right, but I appreciate the offer. The hardware would allow me one avenue to figuring out how to emulate it, but I don't own an oscilliscope and I don't feel like figuring out how to make use of one without breaking the controller! A standard multimeter won't work since the danged things are serial. I would be better suited to trying to reverse engineer the code 3DO operating system (Opera) code instead anyway.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 am

Some people might think topics like this are useless, but I like knowing what 3DO games are floating around. I just picked up the Japanese version of Furopon the Space Mutant, but nothing new for me besides that, I only even did it because I can't find a darned image online and it's one of the better puzzle games out there. I'll try to make a topic with pictures soon.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Some people might think topics like this are useless, but I like knowing what 3DO games are floating around. I just picked up the Japanese version of Furopon the Space Mutant, but nothing new for me besides that, I only even did it because I can't find a darned image online and it's one of the better puzzle games out there. I'll try to make a topic with pictures soon.
Is that the Japanese version of Trip'd? I remember picking up Trip'd at Best Buy back in the day for 10 bucks and really liking it I'm no good at puzzle games though and I always end up quitting in a frustrated fury of madness.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Some people might think topics like this are useless, but I like knowing what 3DO games are floating around. I just picked up the Japanese version of Furopon the Space Mutant, but nothing new for me besides that, I only even did it because I can't find a darned image online and it's one of the better puzzle games out there. I'll try to make a topic with pictures soon.
Is that the Japanese version of Trip'd? I remember picking up Trip'd at Best Buy back in the day for 10 bucks and really liking it I'm no good at puzzle games though and I always end up quitting in a frustrated fury of madness.
Trip'd is the sequel and is available on the Short Warp collection in Japan (known there as Furupon 2). I don't think it was available stand-alone in Japan, but don't quote me on that.

The original, Furupon the Space Mutant (aka Flopon the Space Mutant, as it says on the spine), is worth having even with Trip'd. It has some differences, like an always split-screen playfield whether you play solo or not, and while the visuals aren't quite as spruced up, they have their own particular charm. The game is much more difficult than Trip'd, which will probably be seen as a good thing by most. I think a common complaint for Trip'd is that it's too easy solo, and games feel like they just go on, and on, and on, and.. you get the point. In the original Japanese Furupon, it also has some mini-game bonuses that you'll find on Short Warp as well, so it's definitely worth having in the collection.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Austin wrote:Curious to know your thoughts after you've played it, especially if you have only played Solar Eclipse (a game I like very much). I still to this day can't get into Total Eclipse, even though I try to make myself every now and then.
I meant to ask this earlier, but how come you like Solar Eclipse but not Total Eclipse?

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, I think I was spoiled in that I played Solar Eclipse first. To me, the graphics are more detailed (and more pleasing on the eyes), the gameplay is faster and more precise, the weapons feel better, the levels are far more varied (spikes popping out of the ground, no monotonous tunnel sequences, asteroid segments, etc.), the soundtrack is more memorable to me, etc., etc. It's just a far more involved and polished product than Total Eclipse IMO, which seems bland and monotonous in comparison.

On another note, I finally tracked down Total Eclipse Turbo for the PSX recently. Still haven't given it a try, but I'm curious to see if it's improved at all over the 3DO original.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Austin wrote: On another note, I finally tracked down Total Eclipse Turbo for the PSX recently. Still haven't given it a try, but I'm curious to see if it's improved at all over the 3DO original.
Would make a good Youtube vid. :)

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 am

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Silentman wrote:My last purchase is Torcano: Music from the game Pataank.
Very nice. :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 am

I bought Flopon World! Paid more than it might be worth, but it rarely pops up so I jumped on it right away. Just hope it actually gets here.. Haven't had the best of luck with Hong Kong sellers, haha! http://www.ebay.com/itm/110845183566?ss ... 1423.l2649

*edit: Looks like it doesn't have the normal manual (unless it's tucked away somewhere--doubtful)

**Edit again--I received it in the mail, and sure enough it does have the normal instructions. The seller had the sticker sheet on the front.
Last edited by Austin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:07 am

My first batch of games/recent buys and also first impressions.

B.C. Racers-Got to watch the intro and raced 1 round,I guess its okay from the 5min I played/watched but heard much worse from others.Meh well see?

Star Fighter-Got to see 3do kids loop d loop in his countdown video and got lucky when a pal hook me up with this for basically free,havent invested time yet because of the next two...

Escape From Monster Manor-You guys are probably tired of me mentioning this game as its been in all 3 of my post so far,But idk have to say I appreciate this game.Had it before my 3do arrived and was the first thing I had to try,Its simple design and fun gameplay has me hooked at the moment gonna probably play this one through before moving on..

Immercanary-After brief breaks from (here we go again) Monster Manor,Ive decided this would be my next 3do game inline
and decided to give this a playtest.Needless to say I didnt put it down that night,I heard people being lost on what to do in this game but if you dont give up at first it actually rewards you with info when you die sending you back into the action to learn from you mistakes.Have to dedicate to this soon...

COMING SOON:
Now to get the wife in on the action (shes casual w/games)
I just ordered a spare controller,Family Feud & Twisted..

And I have a pre order on 50+ games when the seller comes around to digging it up.

Told you guys Im here to stay. :wink:
Here to stay.. ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:23 pm

50 + should keep you busy for a while. :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Forgot about this thread!

Not much in the way of 3DO pickups for me, although I did receive a boxed Off-World Interceptor in the mail. Normally the poor condition of the box is a turn-off for me, but the thing was only $6 after shipping, so a bad box is better than no box for that price! The disc looks nice as well, albeit there's no jewel case insert or artwork. For the price, it's no biggie. Now, time to revisit this game (again)..

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:28 am

Trev wrote:50 + should keep you busy for a while. :)
Yea definitely,I was only gonna get about 5 or 6 games at first but since the seller had to unpack I decided it would be easier and more of an incentive to buy one of each game thay had.lol

Havent got to a total price yet,but I think its only gonna come to around 200-300 bucks,no duplicates and not too many disc only.Unfortunately no luck with anything being uber rare price wise.

Hey do any of you guys have an outlet to still get games,theres plently more games Im gonna want that arent in that 50+ list Im buying.

This is my last retro console Im collecting for and wanna go out with a bang,doing guides and whatnot for this system! :D
Here to stay.. ;)

vestcoat
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vestcoat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 am

Over the last two months:
Trip'd w/case and manual
Dragon's Lore loose
Lucienne's Quest loose
Star Blade w/case and manual
Theme Park CIB
Soccer Kid w/manual
and a new Interact ProPad (broken)

Coming soon:
The Horde CIB
ESPN Aerobics loose (my lady thought it would be funny)
Dragon's Lair CIB
Madden CIB
Star Control 2 loose
Star Fighter w/case and manual
Johnny Bazookatone w/manual
Alone in the Dark w/case and manual
Immercenary new
2 used controllers, a new FZ-JP1X, and a new Sidekick

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:48 pm

My Family Feud & Twisted arrived!
Got the wife/casual gamer in on the action too. :lol:

And some comments from her:
"WoW this is really cool,theres something unique about this system"
"When did this come out?"
"What just happened?" (Family Feuds weird game glitches..Sounds,random phrase mixups and game resets)

Twisted:
Was after late that night after a few games of FF and little tired,but can see this being fun..Dont like that ringing noise between turns.:/
Here to stay.. ;)

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 am

Got an FZ-10, and trying to get Flying Nightmares.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:31 pm

I finally got a longboxed Lemmings. On another note how often do you re-buy games & accessories because you forgot you already had them? I went out of my way to get a certain Super Famicom game just to find I already had it hiding in a box.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 am

3DO Experience wrote:I finally got a longboxed Lemmings. On another note how often do you re-buy games & accessories because you forgot you already had them? I went out of my way to get a certain Super Famicom game just to find I already had it hiding in a box.
I find if you keep a clean and organized gameroom, you avoid that problem. :wink: