Contents of a complete Goldstar 3DO package?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Contents of a complete Goldstar 3DO package?

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

I should be receiving a boxed Goldstar system in the mail within the next week or so! I am curious--what came with the system originally? Any bundled games, any demos, and so on? I would like to try to eventuallly make it as "complete" as I can get it. At least, pack-in games and an instruction manual.

My first 3DO was a Goldstar way-back-when, and I recall it having the usual stuff (box, styro, manual), but the person I got it from also included a black sleeve that housed to jewel cases. Was this something that originally came with these? I haven't seen those since.

PS, anyone have a spare Goldstar manual? :P :lol:

User avatar
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 am

The Goldstar is the only one I still have the box for (because it was up high as I didn't care to much for it). I don't recall a black sleeve. I know one of the games was FIFA I'm pretty sure the other was Shockwave. I can't get to my box right now but it probably says on the outside of it. The FIFA was a longbox manual with a black and white cover. I don't know if the regular one was in color or not. I think Shockwave's manual was a booklet that fit into the jewel case.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 am

OK, that makes sense because when I got my first Goldstar used in the '90s, Fifa and Shockwave came with it (along with Street Fighter, Gex and Bladeforce, but the person must have bought those separate). I don't remember--are the Fifa and Shockwave Not-For-Resale versions?

**EDIT:

I just looked on eBay and found differing versions of FIFA. Examples:

Obvious longbox version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIFA-Internatio ... 35b23b59e9

Possible pack-in version? (it has a different CD label): http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIFA-Internatio ... 45fb7001b6

**DOUBLE EDIT:

I found another longbox version that has the same disc of the second auction listed. Soooo, it looks like they used multiple disc labels for various runs of the longbox Fifa. So much for hoping that would solve that question, ha..

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 am

Here is a pic of one of my new/unused Goldstar units.

The black sleeve houses Fifa and Shockwave.


Image

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 am

I'm almost certain the Goldstar unit had a photo cd included in its initial bundle.

Not quite sure why (maybe I read it somewhere) but I think one of the Putt Putt titles might have been included also.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:14 am

Trev wrote:I'm almost certain the Goldstar unit had a photo cd included in its initial bundle.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I've ever seen a Goldstar unit with the photo CD, but I could very well be wrong. There were quite a few different model Goldstar units and it is possible one of them came with the photo CD I suppose.


Trev wrote:Not quite sure why (maybe I read it somewhere) but I think one of the Putt Putt titles might have been included also.

Something about this sounds familiar to me too, but I can't quite place it.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:00 am

Awesome!! Thanks, Bitrate, that clears things up a bit. So the black sleeve I had way-back-when did indeed come with that Goldstar unit. Those Not For Resale stickers on the games--are those on the cases themselves as far as you can tell, or on top of the shrink wrap? I know I am getting overly picky at this point, but I am curious anyway. :)

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Austin wrote:Awesome!! Thanks, Bitrate, that clears things up a bit. So the black sleeve I had way-back-when did indeed come with that Goldstar unit. Those Not For Resale stickers on the games--are those on the cases themselves as far as you can tell, or on top of the shrink wrap? I know I am getting overly picky at this point, but I am curious anyway. :)

No problem.

The "Not For Resale" stickers are attached to the jewel cases, not the shrink wrap.

Here is a picture from an auction that just ended. It looks as though the seller was selling the system with its original two pack-in games as both of them have the "Not For Resale" stickers.



Image

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:39 pm

bitrate wrote:
Trev wrote:I'm almost certain the Goldstar unit had a photo cd included in its initial bundle.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I've ever seen a Goldstar unit with the photo CD, but I could very well be wrong. There were quite a few different model Goldstar units and it is possible one of them came with the photo CD I suppose.


Trev wrote:Not quite sure why (maybe I read it somewhere) but I think one of the Putt Putt titles might have been included also.

Something about this sounds familiar to me too, but I can't quite place it.
I found this article ...

Image
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 am

Nice find Trev. 8)
That must be what I am remembering.

I don't think I have ever seen a 3DO Goldstar box with Putt-Putt being advertised as a pack-in. I wonder if they decided against that idea and went with Fifa. Or, perhaps Putt-Putt was handed to every customer who purchased a new Goldstar unit at the time. I kind of doubt it, though.

Concerning the photo CD, I'm pretty sure that I have never seen one bundled with a Goldstar system. In fact, the article makes it sound as though, if it even happened, it was some sort of mail-in promotion.

User avatar
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 am

bitrate wrote:Image
Yup, same as mine. The black sleeve must have been lost over the years. :(
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 pm

bitrate wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a 3DO Goldstar box with Putt-Putt being advertised as a pack-in. I wonder if they decided against that idea and went with Fifa. Or, perhaps Putt-Putt was handed to every customer who purchased a new Goldstar unit at the time. I kind of doubt it, though.
I received my system in the mail today, and guess what? It advertises Putt Putt, Shock Wave, and the Photo CD as pack-ins! Unfortunately, since there was no documentation with it, I can't tell if, say, the photo CD disc was some kind of promotional mail-in.

I can get a picture of it and post it here later tonight.

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I'd like to see a pic of it ... I've been curious since you first posted this thread.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 am

Austin wrote: I received my system in the mail today, and guess what? It advertises Putt Putt, Shock Wave, and the Photo CD as pack-ins! Unfortunately, since there was no documentation with it, I can't tell if, say, the photo CD disc was some kind of promotional mail-in.

I can get a picture of it and post it here later tonight.

Absolutely. I am interested in seeing that.

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Re: Contents of a complete Goldstar 3DO package?

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 am

I dug around and found my old Goldstar owner's manual. It isn't too specific on what the bundled software is though ...

Image

Austin wrote: PS, anyone have a spare Goldstar manual? :P :lol:
Shoot me a pm if you still want one.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:33 am

Is this it Austin?



Image


It's funny. I don't think that I have ever seen a boxed Goldstar set that included the Photo CD. People who bought the Goldstar 3DO must have thrown out the disk right away. I've seen plenty of Panasonics with the Photo CD though.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 am

Yep, that's it (funny enough, I stopped in to post my own photo):

Image

Looking through photos of my past collection, I found that this box is different from the one I used to own. Something I never really noticed before (there being multiple types of the Goldstar box).

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:52 am

Based on the wording "Your Photos On A Kodak Photo CD", perhaps an actual disc wasn't included. Now that I think about it, wasn't it a certificate or voucher that you could send to Goldstar (along w/a roll of film) and they would mail you back your own custom photo cd? The article I posted prior said there was a photo cd "offer" ... I think that might be what it was (a mail-in promo like bitrate suggested) Like before, I think I've read it ... and like before, I can't recall where at the moment ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Scanned another article which may be of interest ... a limited edition transition bundle?

Image
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Nice find, Trev! :)

Post Reply