Return Fire

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Return Fire

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Let's chat about this 3DO great for a bit ... anything & everyhting related to Return Fire.

Here is a question ... we probably all agree that this game rocks in 2-player mode ... how do you think it fares when playing solo? Still great? Good? Do people even bother playing this one alone?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am

I love the bejeezus out of Return Fire. The only bit of it I've played on 3DO was the single player mission on one of the Interactive Sampler discs, so I can't comment too much on the 3DO version but I've owned the PS1 version for years.

I remember my neighbors renting it when I was a kid and when I first moved out on my own, I started buying waaaay too much stuff because I could, you know? I bought a copy of the PS1 version really enjoyed the single player mode. When I told my buddy about it though, he didn't think it sounded too great, so I forced him to play a few matches of it.

The few matches quickly turned into 10 hours straight, constantly going at it. The simple adrenaline pumping action of chasing down a jeep that has a flag while you're chasing it with the helicopter and the William Tell Overture playing the whole time is just amazing.

At the end of the night, I remember drifting off and seeing the little foot soldiers pop out burned into my eyelids. When I woke up, the first thing I remember is hearing the sounds of them throwing grenades. It was fantastic.

In short, single player mode is fun but nothing, NOTHING, can beat the 2 Player mode.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 am

2 player was the bomb.

And yeah, I even loved it single player. Destructible environments were a bit of a novelty, maybe that's part of it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 am

I was playing Return Fire earlier. Playing against a freind is the best, no doubt. Single player ... is pretty good too actually. The biggest handicap to it, is that playing it reminds me how much better the game is in 2 player mode. I find that short bursts in 1 player mode are best ... enough to have a really fun time, not long enough to start wishing you had someone to challenge. A must have game regardless imo, Return Fire is one of 3DO's best! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 am

solo to me got very repetitive. I would do a couple fast strafing runs with the Heli to weaken the defenses, then i would start picking off the perimeter with tank.

multiplayer was awesome when that music kicked in. I used to play it loud just for that.

I tried playing this more recently, and it holds up OK. The multiplayer is not quite as fun as it used to be, but the game is older. This used to be the game I would play with friends to demo the system. This was before the ports.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:59 am

Now this is one game where i must say it is better on the PS1 than it is on the 3DO, and that almost never happens...

I have both versions, and the game is AWESOME in every sense of the word, especially with 2 players, it is just so much fun!! Used to play it with a friend for days at a time, every day after work.

The PS1 version has alot more maps, which i assume are on the 3DO Maps O Death disc, ive never tried it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm almost certain the seemingly more numerous maps on the psx port are simply taken from the awesome Maps of Death add-on disc. I'm pretty sure they did the same thing w/the psx port of Shockwave, nothing more than bundling the Operation Jumpgate missions w/the original.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 pm

the PS1 did get some Maps of Death...maps.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am

What do you mean some?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm

The 3DO version has cool victory parade footage when you beat a map, which really makes you feel awesome! :)

The psx version has ... Lou Gehrig's farwell address ... :?

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Trev wrote:The 3DO version has cool victory parade footage when you beat a map, which really makes you feel awesome! :)

The psx version has ... Lou Gehrig's farwell address ... :?
It actually ends up switching between a couple of other video clips if I remember right... Gah, I know it changed but I can't remember what else played. All I can remember is the uncontrollable rage at losing to my neighbor.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 am

The 3DO version has one victory video, the PS1 has a few. And it does have the same one from the 3DO.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:21 am

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:The 3DO version has one victory video, the PS1 has a few. And it does have the same one from the 3DO.
Thats good to know. I still think the Lou Gehrig speech is ridiculous for Return Fire ... it ends a victory on such a wierd note, and feels totally out of place. Are the other vids more appropriate?

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 am

Yeah there is 2 or 3 more im not sure what they are though really, we used to skip them after a couple watches.