Huh.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Huh.

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:48 am

So I decided to give Immercenary another crack after all of these years after seeing the positive comments the game gets on the forum here, as long as you stick with it. I started explaining how the game works to a friend of mine and I summed it up as "Grinding: The Game."

Now, unlike most people, his initial reaction was "I NEED TO PLAY THIS." So I let him and as of right now, he's been running around outside the DoaSYS neutral zone, killing Goner after Goner and rushing back into the center to heal. This has been going on for over an hour now and he's considering buying a 3DO just for this game now.

I dunno, I just found it kinda interesting how this game is notorious for turning people off from it right away but then there are people who simply love the grind of it.

It's also a plus for me, because I hate grinding and I get to hear him yell stuff like "OH SHOOT ME IN THE BACK, JUST LIKE THE COLOR YOU ARE. YELLOW."

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 am

I've yet to really get into it myself (waiting on acquiring another CIB copy before I attempt it again), but from what I understand (and this is how I felt as well), is that people tend to jump into it thinking it's your typical first person shooter. With that mindset, it's ridiculously confusing and not very appealing. But like many 3DO titles, I suppose a lot of it has to do with mindset and understanding what the game is, and what it is not.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 am

That is weird. I did love it, but only after I forced myself to get over that initial part where you die almost immediately and to have to seemingly restart.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

The game is absolutely brutal to get into. While I'm a big fan of Immercenary, I'll be the first to admit the game is an easy one to hate. Like 3DOKid said, you really have to force yourself to keep playing in the early going.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 pm

So yeah, I left my console at his apartment last night and swung by this morning. When I had left last night, his stats were maybe... 10% of the whole bar at most. Now? They're maxed out and he's got two of the bosses left to defeat. I expected him to get carried away but not this fast.

Now that see the game this far into it, I completely understand what everyone's talking about. It looks amazing. I may have to do the grinding session of it myself now.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:11 pm

It's very repetitive, but once you have some stats, you get hooked so easily. Plus Garden, the city you roaming around, although very crude absorbs you. I really did enjoy this game.

The game is set way in the future, 2004.

I forget how old this console is :)