Have you got Ballz?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Have you got Ballz?

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 am

I know, cliche'. I guess I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this one too. I know that the Genesis and SNES versions were quite popular at one time. I never seem to hear about the 3DO one though. Zombie rocks, by the way! :lol:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 am

I had the 3DO version back in the day. I used to like it a lot but I played it recently and felt my lip start to curl a bit. It was not what I fondly remembered. It was an interesting idea and it was cool at the time but time has not been kind to it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Have you got Ballz?

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:57 am

T2KFreeker wrote:I know, cliche'. I guess I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this one too. I know that the Genesis and SNES versions were quite popular at one time. I never seem to hear about the 3DO one though. Zombie rocks, by the way! :lol:
I think by the time Ballz arrived on 3DO, the 15 mins of fame that it enjoyed on the 16-bit consoles had ended. It certainly is a huge step up in all departments, and I really dig the atmosphere. The fighting engine though is ... I dunno, I gotta play it again (its been a while) Its a good fighter for those who like them less serious, but I still wish 3DO would have gotten Clay Fighter.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:04 am

Trev wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:I know, cliche'. I guess I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this one too. I know that the Genesis and SNES versions were quite popular at one time. I never seem to hear about the 3DO one though. Zombie rocks, by the way! :lol:
I think by the time Ballz arrived on 3DO, the 15 mins of fame that it enjoyed on the 16-bit consoles had ended. It certainly is a huge step up in all departments, and I really dig the atmosphere. The fighting engine though is ... I dunno, I gotta play it again (its been a while) Its a good fighter for those who like them less serious, but I still wish 3DO would have gotten Clay Fighter.
Yeah, I remember seeing Clay Fighter in the 3DO catalogs that also had Water World listed. I'd have loved to see them both.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 am

I like the abstract look and slightly cartoonish feel of the game. The hit detection feels weird though and the computer AI is really tough. I'm still pretty mixed on this one to this day.

I've always used the caveman guy by the way. He seems to have some good reach and can spit out projectiles, haha.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:49 am

I never really liked this game. The faux 3D polygonless graphics were more Amiga/SNES than 3DO. I remember at the time thinking it was beneath 3DO.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 pm

3DOKid wrote:I never really liked this game. The faux 3D polygonless graphics were more Amiga/SNES than 3DO. I remember at the time thinking it was beneath 3DO.
If you play it on the SNES or Genesis/Mega Drive, your opinion would of it will likely improve. While its not the best fighter by any means, I think it does reflect a level of 3DO polish.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Trev wrote:While its not the best fighter by any means, I think it does reflect a level of 3DO polish.
Yeah, the polish is definitely there. From the sounds, to the relatively crisp visuals and smooth framerate, whoever worked on it knew what they were doing to a degree, unlike a lot of other 3DO developers. The gameplay itself though leaves much to be desired. But hey, at least it looks and sounds great! :lol:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Austin wrote:But hey, at least it looks and sounds great! :lol:
Sadly, this thinking seem to be the only motivation to todays developers...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:58 pm

grimm wrote:
LOL!

100% agreement there.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Trev wrote:I think by the time Ballz arrived on 3DO, the 15 mins of fame that it enjoyed on the 16-bit consoles had ended. It certainly is a huge step up in all departments, and I really dig the atmosphere. The fighting engine though is ... I dunno, I gotta play it again (its been a while) Its a good fighter for those who like them less serious, but I still wish 3DO would have gotten Clay Fighter.
I agree with these sentiments.

I'd played any 3D game because I was a 3D fanboy, but this one didn't hold my attention long. When I compared it to Star Fighter, the graphics were just "meh".

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 pm

3DOKid wrote:
grimm wrote:
LOL!

100% agreement there.
Yup. Seems to be the modus operendai these days. For every ten gams that release, maybe two of them are great and they aren't the one's getting the coverage either. It's the same old faces that pile tons of money into advertising and reviewers pockets.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Boy this thread is turning depressing ... we went from talking about a quirky cult classic 3DO fighter, to lack of innovation in the gaming industry ... :(

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Trev wrote:Boy this thread is turning depressing ... we went from talking about a quirky cult classic 3DO fighter, to lack of innovation in the gaming industry ... :(
Sorry, but when people serve me stuff like that on a golden platter, i cant help but use it...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMZYlTXLqiA

Let Roachford cheer us all up...

(I loved this song! -- still do!)

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 am

Can't say I recall playing it. The whole design kinda threw me. I think balls came out around the end of the fighter sensation. I mean loosely connected balls, raster polys. Looked like an unfinished game, still being designed you know?

CF though both versions (snes) owned them both, but the memories are a little fuzzy. When fighters were popular like that, we were playing WOTW, MK II (snes), then Battle Arena Toshinden (psx). That was the only VF type fighter i ever really liked.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:34 am

elitegamer wrote:Can't say I recall playing it. The whole design kinda threw me. I think balls came out around the end of the fighter sensation. I mean loosely connected balls, raster polys. Looked like an unfinished game, still being designed you know?

CF though both versions (snes) owned them both, but the memories are a little fuzzy. When fighters were popular like that, we were playing WOTW, MK II (snes), then Battle Arena Toshinden (psx). That was the only VF type fighter i ever really liked.
CF? I am lost on that? To me, that stands for Checkered Flag, and that's not flattering.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 am

T2KFreeker wrote:CF? I am lost on that? To me, that stands for Checkered Flag, and that's not flattering.
He probably means Clay Fighter.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:CF? I am lost on that? To me, that stands for Checkered Flag, and that's not flattering.
He probably means Clay Fighter.
Nah, obviously it's Champions Forever, the TG-16 boxing game.. :wink:

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Never saw that one before champions forever %$#. Nawh I was referring to clay fighter, i was following the conversation.

%$# Is my way for, now I'm confused! Did you mean eternal champions. Cause, I've only played Bonk. TG-16 wasn't popular in the US, only new one person that had it. Is that system any good?

Was Balls an arcade title? What was the draw, rather beside being new what made people want to by that under developed, premature shart!

By shart i mean the "s"- word plus fart, that game sucks.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 pm

elitegamer wrote: TG-16 wasn't popular in the US, only new one person that had it. Is that system any good?
I think so. It had a nice mix of games (if you like shooters, its a must have) Some of the better ones are available on the Wii VC if you are curious. Since you mentioned Bonk, a few other good platformers are JJ & Jeff, New Adv. Island & Legendary Axe.

As for Ballz, it was console only.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Trev I knew u could post a normal response! I'm really proud of u buddy.