One for me and One for me! GEX, a 3DO masterpiece.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:39 am

Hey look at me! I'm post #15000 on the "3DO Main Forum" section. That's all I'm here for.

Although I too never noticed the issues mentioned with Gex.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 am

Martin III wrote: Right. I remember points where Gex would even interrupt himself with the same phrase: "Sweet, like c- Sweet, like c- Sweet, like candy!"

I'm really curious now to see whether or not I'll find the same bug in the 3DO version.
Never seen that happen, that sounds more like a CD skip to me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:Hey look at me! I'm post #15000 on the "3DO Main Forum" section. That's all I'm here for.
Sounds like a reason to celebrate ...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Congrats. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 am

YAY! Image
I like that smiley.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 am

Well, I popped in my new copy of 3DO Gex and whipped through the graveyard world. Now, I haven't played Gex in several months, so my memory of the Saturn version may be a tad off, but here's what I initially noticed as far as differences:

1.Surprisingly, the FMV looks somewhat grainier than I remember it being on the Saturn version.

2.The title screen opens with Gex spraying the title in graffiti. In the Saturn version, the title just floats to the top. One point for the 3DO!

3.Offhand, some of Gex's animations seem a little choppy compared to the Saturn version. Generally, though, the core game looks identical to how I remember it. It certainly plays and controls the same. I didn't even have the initial floundering with the controls of a game I haven't played in a while; I just started it up and proceeded to kick tail. Heck, more than once I had to remind myself that I was playing on my 3DO and not my Saturn.

4.Yep, the bug I mentioned before is here as well. :( I ran through a row of gold flies on level 2, and Gex said, "This would be perfect for my collection. This would be perfect for my collection."

5.The first part of the death animation - where the screen screws up around Gex - was cut from the Saturn version. I consider this a plus for the Saturn, actually; the animation is ugly and baffling IMO.

6.Obviously, Crystal Dynamics switched from saves to passwords on the ports. Truthfully, I don't understand why they ever used saves, since it just leads the player to wonder why you can't save after every level.

I'm really going to have to do a side-by-side comparison when I get the opportunity, but right now I'm keeping my Saturn at my aunt's friend's house(long story), so I can't do it at the moment.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Well imagine how much easier the game would be if you could save every level... Too easy, cause its certainly easy enough as it is!!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Easy?! Only by Crystal Dynamics standards!

The game's plenty challenging by design, but the combination of vertical scrolling and the inability to look up or down makes it a pain in the butt at points - you can't know, except by cruel experience, whether you're jumping down onto a platform, a bottomless pit, an enemy, or a bed of spikes.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Interesting stuff. Ports from one platform to another rarely get enhanced in a good way. Quite fancy taking the Saturn version of Gex for a spin now. :)

Thanks for sharing :)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:24 am

Martin III wrote:Easy?! Only by Crystal Dynamics standards!

The game's plenty challenging by design, but the combination of vertical scrolling and the inability to look up or down makes it a pain in the butt at points - you can't know, except by cruel experience, whether you're jumping down onto a platform, a bottomless pit, an enemy, or a bed of spikes.
Yeah I thought it was pretty hard. Heck there's even an insta-kill water pit in the first level! It hardly even looks waist deep. Hardcore.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 am

I mostly agree w/Martin & Johnny ... I think Gex may be viewed as easy because free lives are so easy to get, but you gotta remember that they don't carry over once you save. Since I've never played it from start to finish in one sitting, I think Gex has a fair challenge, especially towards the end.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5