Neo Geo marks are the worst . . .

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Neo Geo marks are the worst . . .

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:10 am

Been a bit, but I thought I might drop in and explain this one. Try arguing with a Neo Geo mark that the 3DO Samurai Shodown was outstanding at the time of release. Get ready for "But it has Load Time!" Also, heard someone else complain about bordering in the game, but I don't seem to remember there being any borders on the screen at all. Been a bit since I played as I need to track it down again. It's like if you say this, you have spit on the Neo Geo Bible. Very sad too because, guess what? The 3DO port of Samurai Shodown was awesome, period, end of story. Not to mention it was $240.00 cheaper than the Neo Geo release to boot. :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:08 am

Of all the high end 32-bit systems out... "Neo Geo" was truly the closest to real arcade interaction and game play, sadly I've never owned one (but played once at a place called "funcoland". That said SS is a grt port to 3do as well as SF. I wasn't that kind of gamer then, although it was W of the W that pulled me into that genre. The only would be flaw that I can see worth discussing would be the fz-1 d-pad. Other than that... loosen a few screws and hav at it!!! 3do fighters are great, except for "Shadow"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:31 am

ATARI5200 wrote:Of all the high end 32-bit systems out... "Neo Geo" was truly the closest to real arcade interaction and game play, sadly I've never owned one (but played once at a place called "funcoland". That said SS is a grt port to 3do as well as SF. I wasn't that kind of gamer then, although it was W of the W that pulled me into that genre. The only would be flaw that I can see worth discussing would be the fz-1 d-pad. Other than that... loosen a few screws and hav at it!!! 3do fighters are great, except for "Shadow"
Oh hey, I am not knocking the Neo Geo, which actually is called a 24 bit system :!: , but the community that surrounds it can be really picky and humorously over bearing is all.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 am

Freeker, as a fellow NEO-GEO fan I have to tell you other NEO-GEO fans are insane. They could be worse than Jaguar fans in fact.

And now to let that side out, the NEO-GEO wasn't "the closest to real arcade interaction and game play" it was real arcade interaction and game play!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:57 am

3DO Experience wrote:other NEO-GEO fans are insane. They could be worse than Jaguar fans in fact.
I such a thing even possible? :lol:

As for Neo Geo fans griping about the borders in 3DO SS, it must be a pal thing, yes?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 am

The 3DO version isn't perfect, but yes, it's still a kick-ass port. Bar-none the best non Neo-Geo conversion at the time. I'll have to check out the borders issue, maybe later tonight I'll pop in my copy and take a look at it.

And yes, the Neo-Geo guys are crazy. You should see some of the flame wars over at the Neo-Geo.com forums. So terrible, yet so wildly entertaining at the same time.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 am

T2KFreeker wrote: Oh hey, I am not knocking the Neo Geo, which actually is called a 24 bit system :!: , but the community that surrounds it can be really picky and humorously over bearing is all.
16bit, actually.
The 24bit was a nice advertising joke. :)

Motorola 68000 CPU (16bit) + Z80 sound processor (8bit) = 24bit
Haha.

The 3DO is 144bit then:
32bit CPU + 32bit GPU + 32bit GPU + 32bit CoPro + 16bit DSP.

Woohoo!! :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am

For whatever reason I was expecting the NeoGeo port of Samurai Shodown to be absolutely awesome compared to the 3DO version but now owning both, I would say the 3DO version has the edge.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:54 pm

MAn the Neo-Geo community on the internet has been raging for years. I love Neo-Geo as much as the next person. It has one of the best library of games ever. But all that drama.... NO THANKS. I can't fit in with that EVER.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm

As an owner of many retro consoles, including the Neo Geo i must say, that the Neo-Geo fanboys scene is by far the most childish and ridiculously silly fanbase out there.. Ive been active on neo-geo-com since about 8-9 years(?) and ive simply stopped going there unless i have something very specific i need help with. Then there are good guys who will try and help you. But for regular chat or posting, i simply cant stand that crowd.

There are other neo-geo forums out there, but i havent really checked those out.

To me there seem to be two types aside from the few reasonable guys ive come across there. 1, the guys who are there JUST to argue, and the forum shows ridiculous leeway for what gets tossed at eachother, even outside the FLame-subforum, which reflects the general mindset. 2, the "big tymers" who thinks gamers has nothing to do with the neo-geo format alltogether. If you arnt an anal collector, you get no attention, or you get shat on.

But again, there are a handfull of really great guys on that forum who has helped me alot with either great deals or good information about specific problems ive had.

So sadly yes, alot of neo-geo fans seem abit out of it.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Actually, as a Neo Geo mark ( I believe my AES/MVS/CD/NGP collection qualifies me ) and an 11yr member of neo-geo.com...

I can say most in the community regard it as a solid port. Just like most people regard SSF2T as a great game with a shitty controller.

If you try to compare the 3do version to the MVS or AES version, you will immediately be slapped. Because that is just a silly comparison. Compare 3DO SS to other ports, and you will get some positive praise.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:18 am

sneth wrote: If you try to compare the 3do version to the MVS or AES version, you will immediately be slapped. Because that is just a silly comparison.
How so? :? Yes, games that are ported rarely measure up to the original, but it's not like comparing TMNTII on the NES vs.the arcade original or something.

Whats "silly" about comparing versions of the same game from consoles that are within 2 yrs of each other?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 am

Its not silly comparing a port to its original regardless. It may be silly depending on HOW you compare them (if based on the previous example, you say the NES version is exactly as the arcade original), but comparing them as a whole? No, its perfectly fine comparing a port to its original release, since thats the nature of the whole thing, its a port.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Dumb question: I've never seen the word "mark" used in this sense before. What's the definition? Is it in essence interchangeable with "fanboy/fangirl"?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Martin III wrote:Dumb question: I've never seen the word "mark" used in this sense before. What's the definition? Is it in essence interchangeable with "fanboy/fangirl"?
I'm glad you asked that. :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:34 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Martin III wrote:Dumb question: I've never seen the word "mark" used in this sense before. What's the definition? Is it in essence interchangeable with "fanboy/fangirl"?
Likewise. :?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 am

Austin wrote:
3DOKid wrote:
Likewise. :?
That was the basis for my responses to the original post anyway.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, a mark would be the same as a fanboy. Someone who believes anything said person/company says is gospel or true, even if everyone else points out it's not as good as they may think it is. Marks have a tendency to go beyond the realm of Fanboy though.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Trev wrote:
sneth wrote: If you try to compare the 3do version to the MVS or AES version, you will immediately be slapped. Because that is just a silly comparison.
How so? :? Yes, games that are ported rarely measure up to the original, but it's not like comparing TMNTII on the NES vs.the arcade original or something.

Whats "silly" about comparing versions of the same game from consoles that are within 2 yrs of each other?
Um...... that's exactly what it is like. Comparing any port to the Neo original is just like comparing it to the Arcade version. All Neo Home carts are exactly the same as the arcade.... that is the point.

Neo Home carts are not very close ports... it is the exact same hardware in a different case.

That is why it is silly.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:55 am

sneth wrote:Neo Home carts are not very close ports... it is the exact same hardware in a different case.

That is why it is silly.
I am fairly certain most of us here (having Neo-Geos in some form or another) already know this. You still didn't say--why is it ridiculous to compare the 3DO version to the arcade version?

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:34 am

The scaling in the neg-geo version is just sick, so smooth. It makes the 3do which isn't bad look choppy. I remember one of my friends bagging on the 3do version I bought back in the day. I said, is it better than playing in on Genesis? Yup. Paid like $40 for it, didn't regret a cent of it back then. Pure performance, no comparison, the neo-geo is the arcade game, but back in the day, cent for cent, 3do was where it was at if money was an issue with Samsho.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Well-said, Bonefish!

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:50 am

3DOKid wrote:For whatever reason I was expecting the NeoGeo port of Samurai Shodown to be absolutely awesome compared to the 3DO version but now owning both, I would say the 3DO version has the edge.
The NEO-GEO port?? Im abit confused here as to what youre calling a "port"...

I have the 3DO version ( as well as the MVS, AES, and NEO-CD versions ) of this game and without question, the 3DO version IS awesome for what it cost in the day... But its got nothing on the NEO-GEO version, and these days, can be had on AES cart for less than youll find it for on 3DO... And i know you can just burn it to disc and put it in the console, you can do that with the NEO-CD version as well, and it is still better ;)

I remember when i got the 3DO version, i had sold my AES console and thought it was great that i could get back at least one game i loved, and great a port as it was, its nothing against the NEO-GEO version. It smashes all the other ports hands down, but then the 3DO was quite alot more powerful than a Mega Drive or SNES too...

I also remember playing Samurai Shodown 3 on the PS1, and couldnt believe how much better the NEO-GEO original was...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Let's not get over excited. I played the NeoGeo CD version.

If NeoGeo fans don't stop their rabid argument hunting, I'll start banning. Okay? Happy New Year. :) :D

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 pm

It never pays to get over excited ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 pm

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:It never pays to get over excited ;)
that's what i tell the wife

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:38 am

sneth wrote:
Trev wrote:

Um...... that's exactly what it is like. Comparing any port to the Neo original is just like comparing it to the Arcade version. All Neo Home carts are exactly the same as the arcade.... that is the point.

Neo Home carts are not very close ports... it is the exact same hardware in a different case.

That is why it is silly.
You missed my point ... games can be ported from the arcade and be near identical or better (Soul Caliber, DC) or they can be a total wreck (Time Killers, Gen) In the case of Sam Sho. on the 3DO, it is quite close.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:21 am

It is quite close yes, but the play mechanics are still not the same.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 am

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:"port"...
I also remember playing Samurai Shodown 3 on the PS1, and couldnt believe how much better the NEO-GEO original was...
BLAH! Samurai Shodown III on the Playstation was just a bad port, period. It's a turd. King of Fighters '95 on the Playstation is a joke as well. Not sure what else to say. All I will say is that you can't put SSIIII on the Playstation on the same level as SS on the 3DO because it kills the Playstation game. Good port Versus Bad port. :lol: