Identical 3DO CDs

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Identical 3DO CDs

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm working on a unique-id system for 3DO games. In the process, I've found what looks to be genuinely identical CD images. A lot of them are just EU and US duplicates, but then there are some rather confusing duplicates in the 3DO magazine and samplers realm...

Does anybody happen to have these CDs or magazines (or documentation of them) that would be able to ascertain that they are indeed identical? I'm thinking that maybe the block of CD images I've seen is incorrect.

The duplicates I've seen are:
* 3DO Mag 01 + 3DO Interactive Sampler
* 3DO Mag 02 + 3DO Mag 10 + Super Street Fighter II X - Grand Master Challenge (demo) [JP]
* 3DO Mag 03 + 3DO Mag 11 I've loaded both of these and they are both a demo of theme park
* 3DO Mag 04 + 3DO Mag 12
* 3DO Mag 09 + 3DO Interactive Sampler CD 4

Also, some US and EU titles are different, but others seem to be identical as far as the ISO is concerned. At the moment I'm just assuming there is no difference between them (examples include Killing Time, Immercenary, and Psychic Detective). This confuses me a bit because I still haven't identified what makes US and EU titles different; I thought some games would enforce PAL and others would enforce NTSC. Are there different 3DO bios's or hardwares that enforce this? If someone knows, I'd appreciate help understanding this.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:24 pm

As far as I know, they are all duplicates. Especially towards the end of 3DO's life cycle (when coming up w/new demos was difficult) the mag decided to recycle older ones rather than having none at all. The logic being that new owners of the console might like to check out the older demos (tough luck for long time subscribers though) I know one of the demos that got axed was 'Snow Job', replcaed w/a duplicate.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:21 am

The Japanese 3DO Magazine uses a lot of the same demo's but they also have some different stuff. They are worth tracking down. :)