Defcon 5. Just how rare is it?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Defcon 5. Just how rare is it?

Post by Coffeejits » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Hello all,

I've recently began collecting 3DO games, and I came across a copy of Defcon 5 being sold by an online retailer in England. I knew that the title is a UK "exclusive", so I went ahead and purchased it for $27USD (includes shipping to the states). The seller claims that it has a box. Did I get screwed or did I score? I haven't run across any of these on the auction site who's name shall not be spoken (or written), so I don't have a baseline. Also, there aren't many rarity guides which give much information on the rarity or price of the game. Any help? I'm new to the forums and the 3DO community, so please be gentle.
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Given that it didn't get released here in the States, its probably a fair price. I've been (passively) looking for this game for a while, and factoring in s&h I'd say you probably paid about what I would have expected. (prices fluctuate wildly though) Not sure what the seller meant about a box though ... I thought the game only came in a jewel case ...

Anywayy, It'd be cool if you posted your thoughts on the game after playing it for a while. I've always been curious about Defcon 5 ... one of the few UK 3DO exclusives (along w/Striker)

Btw, welcome to the forum.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:05 pm

Wecome to the forum.

I like the game quite a bit. It just has a certain atmosphere to it, and the graphics are pretty nice too.

Yes that is a fair price. Defcon 5 did not come packaged in a cardboard box. It was a jewel case only release.

Also, it is not a UK exclusive. It was also released in Japan.

... and almost released in the US

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Before being canned, the US version of Defcon 5 got quite a few write ups in mags around here. I remember one mag (EGM?) had a several page spread comparing the different versions, and they ranked the 3DO one the best! I was dissapointed it never got released in these parts
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:46 pm

So would you consider the Japanese version more collectable than the UK version?
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Trev wrote:Before being canned, the US version of Defcon 5 got quite a few write ups in mags around here. I remember one mag (EGM?) had a several page spread comparing the different versions, and they ranked the 3DO one the best! I was dissapointed it never got released in these parts

I would be interested in seeing that coverage if you can ever remember what mag/issue it was.

Coffeejits wrote:So would you consider the Japanese version more collectable than the UK version?

Yes, I would. It usually commands higher prices and I very rarely see a copy of the Japanese version show up on Ebay or Yahoo Japan.