Creature Shock ver differences

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Creature Shock ver differences

Post by Martin III » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm trying to compile a list of the major differences between versions of this game. Part of it is because I'm working on a review for the Saturn "Special Edition" and would like to be able to note how it differs from every other edition, but idle curiosity is probably the biggest factor. :wink:

I have played through the entire Saturn Special Edition and watched videos of the PC version and regular Saturn edition(which was released only in Japan), but information on the 3DO, Playstation, and CDi versions is quite scarce, to say the least. If you guys and gals could fill me in on the details of at least the 3DO version, I would be much obliged. Here's the info I have so far(6/8/2011: Edited to include info on CD-i version in subsequent posts):

Levels
PC: Five levels
Levels 1 and 3 - On-rails space shooting with sprite-based graphics
Levels 2, 4, and 5 - 1st person exploration with light-gun-style combat and FMV graphics

Saturn Special Edition: Six levels
Levels 1 and 3 - On-rails space shooting with (absolutely hideous) polygon graphics, NO SIMILARITY TO ANY LEVELS IN THE PC VERSION
Levels 2 and 4 - Same as PC levels 2 and 4
Levels 5 and 6 - Same as PC level 5, but split across two discs

Saturn regular edition and CD-i: Three levels
Level 1 - Same as PC level 2
Level 2 - Same as PC level 4
Level 3 - Same as PC level 5

Controls
PC: Uses mouse
Saturn Special Edition and regular edition: Compatible only with standard controller, control is generally smooth and responsive
CD-i: Compatible with standard controller, mouse, and light gun

Music
PC: Present except during certain cutscenes
Saturn Special Edition and regular edition: Music used only: (1)throughout levels 1 and 3, (2)while battling hordes in levels 2 and 4, and (3)during end credits

Options
PC: Three difficulty modes
Saturn Special Edition: Three difficulty modes, adjustable controller sensitivity, option to switch between cursor modes manually or automatically, adjustable sound/music volumes
Saturn regular edition: Three difficulty modes

FMV Quality
PC: Good
Saturn Special Edition and regular edition: Visuals good, but sound cuts out at frequent intervals

Saving Progress
PC: Presumably autosave(I don't see anything in the videos)
Saturn Special Edition: Four-digit passwords which also retain options settings

Known Glitches
Saturn Special Edition: Graphics completely glitch out for a few seconds during Level 1 boss fight, Level 3 sometimes fails to end after defeating the boss
Last edited by Martin III on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:08 pm

This has actually gotten some discussion recently in a different thread so, heads up, 3DO Exp may move/combine it ...

Anyway, I can say that w/out gun support, the 3DO version controls terrible. The CD-i port is missing the ship segments, but has support for both the peacekeeper gun and the mouse.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Has anyone here actually completed the 3DO version, let alone any version (not counting the original poster, of course)?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:11 am

Trev wrote:This has actually gotten some discussion recently in a different thread so, heads up, 3DO Exp may move/combine it ...
Whoops! I did scan the topics that had popped up during my absence, but I guess I overlooked that one. Sorry about that.

So, I gather from that thread that the 3DO version does have space shooter sections... Are they the ones from the PC version, the ones used in the Saturn Special Edition, or 3DO exclusives?
Trev wrote:Anyway, I can say that w/out gun support, the 3DO version controls terrible. The CD-i port is missing the ship segments, but has support for both the peacekeeper gun and the mouse.
Seriously? :shock: The Saturn, 3DO, and (according to a website I just found) Playstation versions are all compatible only with standard d-pads, but they gave the CD-i version support for both gun and mouse!? ...Crazy. Heck, it blows my mind just knowing they ported this game to the CD-i as late as 1997.

Also, I forgot about another major glitch in the "Special Edition", so I edited that into my original post.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:55 am

Martin III wrote:Seriously? :shock: The Saturn, 3DO, and (according to a website I just found) Playstation versions are all compatible only with standard d-pads, but they gave the CD-i version support for both gun and mouse!? ...Crazy. Heck, it blows my mind just knowing they ported this game to the CD-i as late as 1997.
Just about every CD-i game supports the mouse as well as any other pointing device. This is why the CD-i version utilizes it. I believe I read at the CD-i forum that this has to do with a mandate put out by Philips requiring every piece of software to be compatible with as many pointing devices as possible. Also, if I heard right, I believe the system handles control inputs differently than your standard console. The platform was designed with analog-style controls in mind, versus your typical digital console pads of the day.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 am

Heh it's funny considering What are the controls like for Creature Shock?... is still on the front page. I would just move all the post into that thread but I can't combine the two. I might however edit the topic title to be better defined.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:Seriously? :shock: The Saturn, 3DO, and (according to a website I just found) Playstation versions are all compatible only with standard d-pads, but they gave the CD-i version support for both gun and mouse!? ...Crazy. Heck, it blows my mind just knowing they ported this game to the CD-i as late as 1997.
Just about every CD-i game supports the mouse as well as any other pointing device. This is why the CD-i version utilizes it. I believe I read at the CD-i forum that this has to do with a mandate put out by Philips requiring every piece of software to be compatible with as many pointing devices as possible. Also, if I heard right, I believe the system handles control inputs differently than your standard console. The platform was designed with analog-style controls in mind, versus your typical digital console pads of the day.
The light gun sometimes works like a wii remote pointer.
The only way i could beat chaos control , lol
gave me extra speed to move the cross hair around.
I don't think it officially supports it.

I think I tried the light gun on escape from cyber city but it did not seem to work or work good enough.
That game is hard need to be fast..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Escape From Cyber City is impossible for me ... maybe if I got bit by a radioactive spider ... :lol:

Creature Shock on CD-i is fairly rare, at least in this region. Understandable for a game that was released well after the machine had been discontinued.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Austin wrote:Just about every CD-i game supports the mouse as well as any other pointing device. This is why the CD-i version utilizes it. I believe I read at the CD-i forum that this has to do with a mandate put out by Philips requiring every piece of software to be compatible with as many pointing devices as possible. Also, if I heard right, I believe the system handles control inputs differently than your standard console. The platform was designed with analog-style controls in mind, versus your typical digital console pads of the day.
Interesting. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the good info!
Trev wrote:Creature Shock on CD-i is fairly rare, at least in this region. Understandable for a game that was released well after the machine had been discontinued.
Huh, Gamepro claimed in this article that Phillips kept the CD-i going until 1998. So what year was it actually discontinued?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Martin III wrote:Interesting. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the good info!
No problem! Out of personal experience, I have been discovering lately that the mouse is a must-have accessory for any CD-i owner. So many games control so much more naturally with it. It's very akin to PC gaming in some regards.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:10 am

Martin III wrote: Huh, Gamepro claimed in this article that Phillips kept the CD-i going until 1998. So what year was it actually discontinued?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 am

Finally had a little run with the 3DO version of this game. I found the controls not that bad; even using a keyboard, I was able to consistently nail the centipede-like creatures.

But the real surprise for me is that this version has all the music of the PC original. I'd assumed the reason most of the music was cut from the Saturn Special Edition was space limitations, but the Special Edition and 3DO versions both have two discs and, so far as I know, the same number of levels. I wonder what the deal is. In the case of the tunnel wandering, I do find it more atmospheric without the soundtracks, but the boss fights sorely miss the music.