Alone in the Dark 2

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Alone in the Dark 2

Post by maclic » Mon May 07, 2007 6:54 pm

I finished this game last weekend. It is amazing how much CAPCOM copy from this series in order to make Residen Evil. They improve the control, the graphics and added more gore and reduce the complexity. This game is a lot richer then the first Resident Evil, with sneaky misions, secundary caracters, lot of items and wapons to use, blocking misiles, a variety of ways to kill enemies and advance in the game, etc. The puzzles has more sense than the ones in RE. It is sad that AITD is not as famous as other survival horror series, it really contributed a lot to the video game world.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 pm

It's amazing isn't it? I never rated AitD2 - I might give it another go after your endorsement ;)

Typical Japanese right? Take something and improve it? Maybe they didn't improve the game play but they refined the objective. Survival horror and somehow they made it cool. In '95, even before I saw RE, i was excited the prospect. The magazines hyped the living hell out of RE and I was already for it when it was released. I'm a big fan of the RE series, and I have a lot of fond memories of not only playing the games but also who I played them with. It was a very cool time for me. RE2 was when I met my wife and a spent a lot of time in a Japanese shared house helping them play RE2 in English.

AITD2 was made by a different team of guys to AITD1. And it was a very different game. I really liked the first, the second was too tricky but like I say - I may go back. AITD went down the tubes after the original guy, the guy with the passion for what he was doing, quit. RE on the other hand, IMHO, was made to order ;)

D was pretty cool too. As was Dr Hauzer. Check 'em out if you can.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Mon May 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I love the survival genre too, and I like Resident Evil series a lot. I have not be able to get Dr. Hauser but it is a great game as far as a I know. I think D was the first scary game (I'm not sure if It is a survival horror, game. There is horror but not survival) that creates a true creepy atmosfere. I really was tense when I played it and a little anxious about what could happen next, AITD was like reading a scary book with cartoony ilustrations, D was like seeing a movie of suspense.
Well, I know you don't like FPS but the first time I played Killing Time it looked and sounded really creepy to me, especialy the beggining and the sewers part.

Game.com
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Game.com » Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 am

Finished alone in the dark 1 at work on a old 386

Then bought a PS1 and traded in wipeout for Res 1 and never looked back what a game :D

Still say Res 2 is the best horror game ever.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 pm

Let's not forget that Alone in the Dark 2 it's the king of slowdown on 3do. The game in some moments freezes to render the next frame.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Tue May 08, 2007 4:37 pm

I agree wiht all of you, RE make the survival horror the popular genre it is today, and AITD2 is laggy with terrible control, it's just that I feel this series doesn't receive the recognition it deserve.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue May 08, 2007 9:28 pm

I see what you are saying Maclic. it's as if RE invented the genre and AITD never happened. But that's true of so many things. Edisons' work, Wright brothers, Newton, Darwin, etc. It's as if idea's emerge all at the same time in different places. They then sort of evolve in secret before they become popular.

Survival horror (as a term) was coined for an RPG created by Capcom in '88 (the roots of the RE storyline) but many companies explored the haunted house theme but then for whatever reason, RE secured the crown.

Maybe it's because it culminated in a way that gave it public appeal or extra credience because of the polish. RE was certainly the best of the bunch, but more likely it was a killer title for the PS1 and Saturn and it was a big hit in Japan before it came to the west. Plus Capcom marketed the hell out of it. RE had a strong image and AiTD seemed to lose its way. The first game was more of a cult classic than a mainstream game and it was quirky and pretty small.

who really knows eh?

3DO Kid.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue May 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Interesting that I really hated the Resident Evil series until RE4 (Code Veronica for Dreamcast to a lesser extent). Just never liked how the earlier iterations played. I bet I'm not the only one.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Tue May 08, 2007 10:29 pm

A similar case was GTA. GTA was not the first game of this genre but it made it incredible popular, I wonder what was the first game of this kind. Oh, I think I'm out of topic.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 09, 2007 12:11 am

maclic wrote:A similar case was GTA. GTA was not the first game of this genre but it made it incredible popular, I wonder what was the first game of this kind. Oh, I think I'm out of topic.
Driver? Many of GTA games have a pop at Driver?

Driver was to GTA3, what AitD was to RE. maybe :shock:

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Wed May 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Really? thanks for the info.