Primal rage - it was crap wasn't it?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok, just read this thread (thanx for the bump) and your review.
Makes me want to get PR for my 3DO.

"Back in the day," when PR Arcade came out, I remember playing it and having fun. Of course, I was NOT a fighting game fan.
I fully admit it was mostly because I svcked at them. Mortal Combats and Street Fighters were not my cup of tea, and I would always head farther back in the arcade and find the Donkey Kong, Time Pilot, or 1942 to feel better about my ability.

However, I liked to drop a few quarters on PR. Even tho I still wasn't any good, being bad at PR was much more fun than being bad at SFII, at least for me. (Does that make sense?)
I'll give it a try..

Now, as for Myst, I have to admit I didn't enjoy it that much on the PC, and I was surprised. I was a huge 7th Guest fan (I even knew the guy who wrote it, Trilobyte was up the road from me) and people were always telling me I had to try Myst, but I didn't at the time (too cheap).

So, finally, 5 years ago or so, I found it in a bargain bin and picked it up.
My thoughts. It was beautiful. Nice looking game. This should be great.

After 45 minutes, I was bored, and stopped. I've tried it again a few times since then, and the same thing. I feel like I "should" like it, but don't. Oh well..

desiv

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Primal Rage does seem to be viewed w/more fondness by people who were not normally big into fighting games for some reason. It certainly does have its strong points though, and the 3DO version is great.

You are not alone on Myst. I had to use a walk through to really get into it myself. Still, a pretty game back in the day and an important piece of gaming history.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Mortal Kombat was rubbish too. IMHO Primal Rage was rubbish. It just doesn't connect. I've said it before, I'll say it again, a good fighting game synchronizes visuals, sounds and the joypad. That's it. Everything else is just pretty trimmings. It's what makes SF2, Tekken, VF great and primal rage utter rot.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Primal Rage IS a good game. It's not a button mashing game tho. Primal Rage on the 3DO was one of the better ports as well.

Myst is actually quite timeless as well. You need to get immersed, once you start solving the puzzles it gets addicting. I played this with about 3 friends on my 3DO. Once we started getting somewhere, no one wanted to go home.

kids these days.... even 3DOkids...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Okay, so park Samurai Shodown and SF2 next to Primal Rage and while Primal Rage may get away with 'okay' in the minds of rose-tinted sunglass wearers, in the harsh light of 3DOkid reality it is utterly rubbish compared to SS and SF2. Ergo, it's utterly rubbish.

Myst is not rubbish. It oozes quality, but it was obviously designed to cash in on CDROM sales, when CD ROMs were being sold and there was very actually nothing to take advantage of 660Mb of storage capacity. That said, randomly clicking on very beautifully rendered images hoping to find very random objects in between mind numbingly slow load times is a recipe for epic tedium.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:41 pm

C'mon 3DOKid, tell us how you really feel? Don't hold back!!
;-)

I just never got into hardcore fighters.

I guess that's why my arcade machine has all the PacMans and Donkey Kongs and 194xs, but no fighters.
(Well, the fact that it's a vertical mounted monitor might feature in there, but even if it wasn't, I don't know that I would..)

I think maybe it's the number of buttons. In my retro world, if you have to use that many buttons, it means your game wasn't that fun, and you had to cheat to come up with something else.

In fact on my Arcade machine, I have 3 buttons, but I only have one game that uses all 3. A western shooter where you shoot left, center, right. It's a lot of buttons for me, but it's simple enough that I can just about manage it. :-)

Actually, now that I look into the way back machine, there was a 3 button "fighter" that I liked. Gladiator. There were no 12 button combinations for flaming death fun.. Just high, middle, low.

I appreciate watching a good fighter from time to time. I just don't really enjoy playing them...

As wrong as I am, I can't help it. ;-)

desiv

p.s. Might also be why I don't have a 6 button pad for my 3DO, and I'm OK with that. :-)
p.p.s. Some of us might say that if it's not enjoyable to play, it doesn't really "ooze quality".

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:50 pm

agreed Myst has high production values. Those scenes, given the era, are drop dead amazing. Takes a life time to load at 2xCDROM mind you

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 am

I still remember trying out Primal Rage when it was in the arcades. Probably because I've rarely (if ever) felt so gypped at an arcade. The game looked terrific, but the gameplay was so horribly shallow that it felt pointless.

Needless to say, I've never been tempted to pick up any of the console versions, so I can't really judge the 3DO release of the game. But the arcade version was indeed crap. :twisted:

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:57 am

I still remember trying out Primal Rage when it was in the arcades. Probably because I've rarely (if ever) felt so gypped at an arcade. The game looked terrific, but the gameplay was so horribly shallow that it felt pointless.

Needless to say, I've never been tempted to pick up any of the console versions, so I can't really judge the 3DO release of the game. But the arcade version was indeed crap.
Yeah, I never really got into the game either but I remember it being SUPER popular when it came out. I remember my school mates complaining about the SNES version having censored fatalities. I guess one of the apes would urinate on the loser or something. I dunno.

Either way, it got ported to everything and I remember seeing Primal Rage action figures at one point. Was it really that popular at the time or was it just an attempt at marketing garbage?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:Either way, it got ported to everything and I remember seeing Primal Rage action figures at one point. Was it really that popular at the time or was it just an attempt at marketing garbage?
It was pretty popular for a while. Not as long as games like MK3 or Killer Instinct as far as I can tell though. I suppose to its benefit, it did receive the greatest array of home ports.
Martin III wrote:The game looked terrific, but the gameplay was so horribly shallow that it felt pointless.
Learn some combos, then tell me it's shallow. If you don't know what you are doing, you will look like a monkey playing this game (no pun intended). ;)

Here's a combo video for it. Ignore the terrible intro and skip to the 1:30 mark or so to start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCbUhofJk-M

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:17 am

Hey now, 3DOKid. Mortal Kombat II was awesome though. The only game in the series I really like! They took a mediocre game and made it MUCH better. Primal Rage isn't terrible, it just is missing most of the stuff that made Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown so good: Deep gameplay with heavy character development. Most non fighter fans like Primal Rage because of that. It is way easier as a button masher than the other two. The Ultimate though was the Mortal Kombat 3 games. Those two are the utmost worse because you can beat anyone who is good at the game by just mashing buttons. Really crap games.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 am

T2KFreeker wrote:..because you can beat anyone who is good at the game by just mashing buttons.
No, aaaand... No. :lol:

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:55 am

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:..because you can beat anyone who is good at the game by just mashing buttons.
I agree with him! Button mashing indeed! I've played a lot of fighting games. I also like a lot of fighting games. But I cannot think of a fighting game that I can comfortably say was actually contingent on skill. Not one!

Remember Soul Calibur for Dreamcast? That game was so popular that I hardly even took the game out of the console. Some people would insist they were getting good, but the next contender would pick up the controller, mash some buttons, and their character would flail about unpredictably and majestically, and win. I've seen the same for any fighting game. It's no exception today, just look at Wii Boxing! And I'll bet Shaq Fu is no worse on game mechanics than other fighting games.

I never did understand the confounding number of fight mechanics in games (Counters, Combos, Combo Breaks, Ultra Combos). Tack all that on top of special moves and fatalities and you've got a gob of mechanics to slog through. I'd rather have less mechanics so that things are less about memorization and more about timing and reflexes. I'd say I probably felt more personally empowered when my friends and I would needlessly beat on each other in 2-player Battletoads.

I haven't played them all, so I wonder what fighting games out there were more about skill. I've heard a lot of people swear by Virtua Fighter.

Anyhow, I still liked them. The flashy graphics and artwork/animation. Fatalities too, of course. I think my favorite for 3DO was Samurai Showdown. Galford's the man. I never had Primal Rage but I wanted it badly.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 am

JohnnyDude wrote:
Austin wrote:
I agree with him! Button mashing indeed! I've played a lot of fighting games. I also like a lot of fighting games. But I cannot think of a fighting game that I can comfortably say was actually contingent on skill. Not one!
You sure you've played a lot? :wink:

Seriously, just to narrow the examples, start w/3DO's own SFII. You honestly think a button masher can beat a skilled player who has learned and studied the game? :?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am

Trev wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote:
Austin wrote: No, aaaand... No. :lol:

Seriously, just to narrow the examples, start w/3DO's own SFII. You honestly think a button masher can beat a skilled player who has learned and studied the game? :?
I'm with trev on this. i was quite the dude on Virtua Fighter, Tekken 2 and SF2. I used to pummel button mashers.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 am

Back when arcades were still big, I remember the thrill of staying on the SFII machine for ages on just 1 or 2 quarters. Rookies would come up and try to trap me in a corner w/E. Honda's thousand hand slap or maybe a Chun Li lightning leg. The satisfaction of humbling them was very strong. 8)

About year or so ago I found out that a newer friend of mine was also a big SFII fan. I busted out my copy, and we played all night. I held my own in the early going, and we were about even. By the end of the night though he had taken a small, but very clear lead. How did he manage to best me? He was simply a better player, from years of practice.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 am

3DOKid wrote:
Trev wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote: I agree with him! Button mashing indeed! I've played a lot of fighting games. I also like a lot of fighting games. But I cannot think of a fighting game that I can comfortably say was actually contingent on skill. Not one!

I'm with trev on this. i was quite the dude on Virtua Fighter, Tekken 2 and SF2. I used to pummel button mashers.
Man, I am not talking about Primal Rage. I have seen little kids who have no idea what they are doing beat someone on MK3 and UMK3 just by slamming buttons over and over again on several occasions. So, yes, I do believe it could happen. Something like Street Fighter II Turbo is a totally different game as it wasn't a "Dial In Combo" controlled game. You had to have skill to play it. Mortal Kombat, after the second game, easily became a mess because of the cheesy combos and the button mashing style of the title. I know you have seen it. HP, HP, LK, HP, LK, HP, etc. Hit those buttons in that order over and over again and blammo, you can have the never ending combo that the other player can't block. Killer Instinct followed this crap too. ULTRA COMBO!!!! Should scream "CHEESY COMBO!!!! Not even in the same league as Soul Calibur either because those games require that you learn how to play it, not just slam down on the same buttons over and over. Remember when a huge feature for Mortal Kombat 4 was the "Combo Breaker"? The above is the whole reason they did it in the first place.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 am

Man, I am not talking about Primal Rage. I have seen little kids who have no idea what they are doing beat someone on MK3 and UMK3 just by slamming buttons over and over again on several occasions. So, yes, I do believe it could happen. Something like Street Fighter II Turbo is a totally different game as it wasn't a "Dial In Combo" controlled game. You had to have skill to play it. Mortal Kombat, after the second game, easily became a mess because of the cheesy combos and the button mashing style of the title. I know you have seen it. HP, HP, LK, HP, LK, HP, etc. Hit those buttons in that order over and over again and blammo, you can have the never ending combo that the other player can't block. Killer Instinct followed this crap too. ULTRA COMBO!!!! Should scream "CHEESY COMBO!!!! Not even in the same league as Soul Calibur either because those games require that you learn how to play it, not just slam down on the same buttons over and over. Remember when a huge feature for Mortal Kombat 4 was the "Combo Breaker"? The above is the whole reason they did it in the first place.
The same can really be said about any game though. I know what you're talking about with UMK3 for sure. I beat someone online without even looking at the screen. However, if someone was actually DECENT at the game, I wouldn't have won. They would know how to actually judge what I was doing, random or not.

Another game that gets the same treatment as MK is Dead or Alive. It often degraded as a button masher but if you actually know what you're doing, you can defeat a button masher always. Every. Single. Time. Any game is like that. If there are no random elements, such as a dice or shuffled cards, skill trumps all.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:53 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:
If there are no random elements, such as a dice or shuffled cards, skill trumps all.
Smash Bros. is more of a button mashing brawler.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:06 am

Trev wrote:
FrumpleOrz wrote:
If there are no random elements, such as a dice or shuffled cards, skill trumps all.
Hence why I hate that game immensely.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 am

Well, I guess it's possible I just was exposed to inane, flashy fighting games. I have heard people support Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter as requiring skill. Street Fighter's probably the one with the most praise.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:33 am

I'd say some of the numerous Neo Geo fighters are more prone to button mashing than others.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:35 am

Smash Bros also has a lot of heavy random chance with the items dropping on the field too though. I've heard people argue that there's skill involved with that game but I really don't know enough about it really to judge it on a larger scale. I was never really able to get into myself. It was always fun for about ten minutes but then I would get bored. Unless there's a super stoned Japanese chick laughing at how stupid Pikachu looks while he's just kicking at nothing in the air. Then I could play the game for hours.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Mortal Kombat, after the second game, easily became a mess because of the cheesy combos and the button mashing style of the title. I know you have seen it. HP, HP, LK, HP, LK, HP, etc.
In MK3, if you are not touching your opponent, and if you do not press those buttons in the exact order, your combo will stop dead in its tracks, leaving you wide open for punishment (and you will be punished against a serious player). What causes the illusion of button mashing to an uneducated player looking over someone else's shoulders is the ability to rapidly tap the next button in line for the combo. In Mortal Kombat 3, when your character is in a combo, he or she is essentially frozen in that moment. This means that pressing the next button in line too early doesn't do anything because your character is stuck in that current frame of animation for the last button you pressed. Combined with this is a generous window to input your next command, allowing you to rapidly tap the next button in line to have a better guarantee at landing your next hit. Like I said above though, if you do the button presses out of order, the combo will drop and you will be left wide open. A button masher (in the way that I think we all perceive them to be) will barely be able to perform a combo by simply smacking any buttons they please. There is a very rigid order that the presses have to be in order to get the combos to come out.
T2KFreeker wrote:Hit those buttons in that order over and over again and blammo, you can have the never ending combo that the other player can't block.
Incorrect. Yes, the combos are repetitive in nature, but they are hardly never-ending (this is, provided possible glitches haven't been exploited, a topic for another time). Also, combos in MK3 are blockable as well, provided you manage to do so on the first hit, but this is how it is for nearly any other fighting game--If you land the first hit, the rest are typically, as they say, "guaranteed". Another thing to note in MK3 is that when you perform a dial-a-combo, your run meter drains completely. It has to charge slightly before you are even able to perform another combo, not to mention put you in a bad offensive position if you decide to go through your full combo while your opponent is blocking (doing minimal "chip" damage, and leaving you unable to run afterwards).
T2KFreeker wrote:Killer Instinct followed this crap too. ULTRA COMBO!!!
The "Ultra Combo" was essentially a finishing move that required a command to activate it when your opponent's life bar is in the red (near death). It involved no button presses after it was activated and was mostly for flash, a stylish way to end a match.
T2KFreeker wrote:Not even in the same league as Soul Calibur either because those games require that you learn how to play it, not just slam down on the same buttons over and over.
Incorrect. The problem with this perception is that no fighting game requires you to learn anything. It's up to the player how deep they want to take it, unless it's an absurdly shallow game like Rise of the Robots. Some games are deeper than they seem, and far deeper than an average player actually perceives. Have a sit down with anyone who has played seriously on a tournament level, and you are likely to walk out viewing fighting differently than before (or be completely confused from information overload, heh).

Regarding fighting games that make it easy for someone to pick up a controller and, to quote, "mash", 3D fighting games generally fall into this category, not the 2D ones. This is because the 3D fighters generally revolve around basic hand-to-hand strings (not fireballs, paralyzing spears, etc.). These also feature extremely large "normal" move sets, or, basic attacks that require no joystick motions to perform. Combos can generally be performed from nearly any button sequence, nor does a player actually have to hit the opponent for these strings to come out. That's the big one right there. In Mortal Kombat 3, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown, and less-so Primal Rage (others mentioned in this thread), if you do not connect with your opponent, you cannot continue your combo. This means that if you aren't even hitting your opponent, you are likely to look like a clown when mashing buttons mindlessly.

On top of that last point, many of these 3D fighters have very lenient timing for most of these basic strings, much like Mortal Kombat 3. The problem with this is where in MK3 you may only have two combos, one that requires you to go from buttons A, to B, to C, to D, with one that maybe requires you to go from B, to A, to, C, to D (and that's it), 3D fighting games have the tendency to let you go from nearly any button press to another, from any position to any other position essentially, and still have results greater than a single hit. This is demonstrated perfectly in the Tekken series, the Soul Calibur series, and the Dead or Alive series (Not quite as much the Virtua Fighter series, as it's very 'rigid' in comparison, requires much tighter timing even for many of the basic strings).

Other abilities such as reversals complicate this even more (in DOA, it's a single button; in Tekken, it's the two right buttons for most characters, sometimes the two left buttons on top of that for other characters; in Soul Calibur 2 and on, I believe it is back, forward, or down and block/parry based on what move the opponent is using). This means that if you have someone literally smashing the buttons back and forth with their entire hand, they are likely to be throwing out constant strings of hits, or having a really good chance at parrying what you do thanks to reversals in some of these games.

Another thing to think of is that some characters provide better "mash" results than others, Maxi being the prime example for Soul Calibur, with his infamous erratic, unpredictable move set. Likewise, Eddie and Christie from the Tekken series are very much the same way.

Keep in mind, I am not saying these games do not take skill--On the contrary, I think 3D fighting games can be even more complicated than 2D fighting games. I am only stating that 3D fighting games make things much more accessible for newbies. For an average player who isn't the sharpest at their game, and maybe gets tense when playing a stranger, this is enough to take several losses. It won't effect a highly skilled player much at all, as they have likely spent hundreds of hours with the game.

On that note, here is a combo video for the character Nina in Tekken 4. Anything you see after the 1:00 mark is absurdly difficult to do. Being able to perform that way in an actual match, doubled with a killer mind game and proper defense, is true "skill" in the realm of fighting games, not what the more casual players perceive to be skill: http://youtu.be/qEfKBBJrVLY
T2KFreeker wrote:Remember when a huge feature for Mortal Kombat 4 was the "Combo Breaker"? The above is the whole reason they did it in the first place.
Mortal Kombat 4 doesn't have combo breakers. Killer Instinct is the one that pioneered that idea, another concept that solidified that game's popularity. The Mortal Kombat series didn't incorporate a combo disruption system until Mortal Kombat: Deception (i.e., not all that long ago), and that could only be done three times per match.

To try and understand how the combo system works in Killer Instinct and how it has very little to do with mashing in the way that I'm sure most of us picture it, go to the 6:20 mark in my video I uploaded a few days ago: http://youtu.be/UXF4GMFysPQ

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 am

Trev wrote:I'd say some of the numerous Neo Geo fighters are more prone to button mashing than others.
From what I have experienced, Neo-Geo fighters are often times even more strict than Capcom's games in terms of the rigid nature of timing and how combos are performed. This is especially true of the King of Fighters series.
FrumpleOrz wrote:Smash Bros also has a lot of heavy random chance with the items dropping on the field too though. I've heard people argue that there's skill involved with that game but I really don't know enough about it really to judge it on a larger scale. I was never really able to get into myself. It was always fun for about ten minutes but then I would get bored.
Smash Bros. has skill, too. It's almost a different kind of skill though. There are lots of moves, and you have to know how to react to each, and how you can react to each (for instance, do certain attacks stun you when blocked, leaving you open for a free hit?). It also features a heavy platforming element, so not only do you have your typical fighting conventions, but there's running, there's jumping on to ledges above you, and there are characters that float. What's also interesting in this game is that in order to defeat your opponents, you have to knock them off the screen. If a character gets knocked near the outskirts of the screen, generally they have all sorts of double jumps, air dashes, and more to get them back to the playfield. But there are all sorts of mind games that can go on based on the character matchup. So yes, there is skill involved with this game if it's taken very seriously (one thing I have preferred to do is remove all powerups, to make it revolve around said skill even more). My biggest complaint with the games is that each incarnation requires you to use an analog stick to control. Definitely not ideal. Also, the characters move in a slippery, platformer-like manner.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:44 am

From what I have experienced, Neo-Geo fighters are often times even more strict than Capcom's games in terms of the rigid nature of timing and how combos are performed. This is especially true of the King of Fighters series.
This is so true. My brother is a hardcore SNK fan. Watching him play the KOF games is night and day against someone who doesn't know what they're doing or just mashing buttons. It's dumbfounding at times.
My biggest complaint with the games is that each incarnation requires you to use an analog stick to control. Definitely not ideal. Also, the characters move in a slippery, platformer-like manner.
Yeah, I think that's my biggest problem with the game, the slipperly-ness and the forced analog. I hate using anything but a d-pad for fighting games. My old roommate and I used to play Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate on Xbox for hours, sometimes ending in real life battles. It got a bit heated, that's for sure. I was always more comfortable with the d-pad in that game but he always used the analog stick. I just don't know how a game based on 8 directions for moves would ever work well with an analog stick. It just has so much more room for error than a d-pad.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 pm

FrumpleOrz wrote:
This is so true. My brother is a hardcore SNK fan. Watching him play the KOF games is night and day against someone who doesn't know what they're doing or just mashing buttons. It's dumbfounding at times.
World Heroes is one that leans itself more toward rookies. Obviously there are ways for skilled players to handle it ... I'm just saying that it is more of a button masher than say SFII ... the throwing mechanism in particular is one that can be abused.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Trev wrote:World Heroes is one that leans itself more toward rookies. Obviously there are ways for skilled players to handle it ... I'm just saying that it is more of a button masher than say SFII ... the throwing mechanism in particular is one that can be abused.
Yeah, there are always going to be exceptions, so I almost think it's not even worth it to categorize what platform or company makes more button masher-friendly fighters. For instance, on the flipside of strictly Neo stuff, Capcom's Versus series (X-Men/Marvel Vs. Streetfighter; Marvel Vs. Capcom series) are notorious for being able to only push a few buttons at random and have a lot happen on screen. Likewise, the Guilty Gear series and BlazBlue (not developed by either company) is notorious in the same way. Pretty deep games when you get down to them (Guilty Gear XX especially), but they are flashy and have big moves that are simple to if you happen to wiggle the joystick and smack buttons at random, easy for a newbie to feel relatively satisfied after walking away from them.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 am

Primal Rage came out when fighters were at the height of their popularity. As developers were striving to milk the genre for every last quarter or dollar the consumer would spend. PR imo is a good game, but never played it much in the arcade or consoles for that matter.

I really had a hard time pulling of the moves with any effectiveness so I always got my tush handed to me. With exceptions of WOTW, MK II (SNES V.) & B.A.T (psx), I didn't really get into fighters much. The main reason was I always felt as though the remembering all the various moves or the combos was to much for me. I did however play'em as the worst button masher imaginable.

Depending on were a gamers at in their triage of gaming PR jus maybe a good play! In retrospect there are games that I'm totally into now I would have never played then. That's one of the great niches of going retro, one gets to experience what they missed, I know I do!

Ice Breaker seems to come to mind, cause I just paused it to post this. How could something so simple be so hard, as well as entertaining all in the same software. Big UPS to 3do experience for making IB v 6.7 possible, this --it is addictive... (stage 8 is my progression/ in a couple hrs of play.)

Long live 3do

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I was going to write a longer review on this game, but honestly I can't think of much to say.

The problem is, as much fun as I don't have playing this game, I can't think of valid complaints. Normally that would lead to, "It's just not for me" but the problem is that the hatred for this game really IS universal. I know SOME people like it, but I can't imagine why.

Again, I can't stress that I can come up with valid complaints. I just don't have fun playing it. I just get my @$$ handed to me by claymation dinosaurs. The most important thing in a fighting game is the feeling that it's WORTH getting good at it. I COULD be good at Primal Rage, but that experience would be painful and besides, I just don't want to.

A misconception may be the controls: From weakest and fastest to strongest and slowest is Quick, Fierce, and Punch, and each of these has Low and High variations. On a 3DO controller (as much as I love them) it's a nightmare, so do yourself a favor and get a 6-Button Street Fighter II Capcom controller, it works GREAT. Controller option 16 is the bottom 3 buttons as Low Quick, Fierce, and Punch, and the top 3 are the same but High.

I might give it another shot, but I think it's fair, and I can see why, games like Srteet Fighter II, Samurai Shodown, and even ****ing Sailor Moon have a bigger following on the system. But just remember kids:

KASUMI NINJA OWNS YOU!
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO