My 3DO Experience

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

My 3DO Experience

Post by Calavera » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:08 am

I never played the 3DO back when it was new. I had been wanting one for a few years now but could never find one for the right price. I had tried some of the games on FreeDO but it's just not the same as playing it on the original system. So basically this thread is going to be my first impressions of 3DO games as I play them.

Here are the games I have played so far.

The Need for Speed-(of course 8)

Wolfenstein 3D- (best version i've played imo, I would have never thought I would be playing and enjoying Wolf 3D again, but the 3DO version is just awesome)

Gex -(haven't gotten too far into it, but it is a great platformer)

Lemmings -(very good version, excellent music and a Fast Forward button so you don't have to wait on those slow Lemmings)

Sewer Shark- (if you are into that kind of game. I am :) It helps that I used to play it on the Sega CD when I was a kid 8) )

Doom- Could have been the best console port of Doom. Excellent music but a TERRIBLE framerate, not to mention that to enable full screen you have to enable a cheat code, people say that decreasing the screen size speeds up the framerate but whats the point? I'm not playing it in a postage stamp sized window.

Road Rash- seems like a decent game, haven't really played it much

Crash N Burn - Seems like a nice racing combat game but my 3DO has trouble reading the disc which causes a couple second freeze up every now and then so I haven't played it much.

Microcosm- Only played it for a few minutes, didn't seem that great to me.

I'm wanting to try one of the RPGs the system has the one I seen looked pretty decent.
Last edited by Calavera on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 am

Thats a good variety of games you've tried thus far.

As far as NFS goes, are you playing on a Pal unit? I've read that they sometimes can have trouble w/Crash n' burn.

Which rpg are were you looking at?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 am

I'm from the USA so I have an NTSC Goldstar unit hooked up via S-Video. The RPG am I thinking about trying is Guardian War. Lucinnes Quest looks alright too from what little I've seen of it. I will probably try Guardian War first. My all time favorite RPGs are Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 on the Sega Dreamcast (and Super Mario RPG of course 8) I am hoping I will enjoy one of the RPGs, I would really like to get sucked into an RPG. The last RPG I have played is Arc Rise Fantasia, unfortunately I kind of lost interest in it and never finished it.

Would you recommend Guardian War or Lucinnes Quest to try first? I figured a lot of people here have played both games. Is one better than the other or is just a matter of opinion on which one is better?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:12 am

Lucinne's Quest is an investment. It's not actually all that rare it's just highly wanted and not very common. Guardian War is an easy find.

hmmmm, I just had a thought... off to the mad scientist lab...
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 am

Like 3DOExp said, LQ is not too common and demmand makes the price higher than it should be.

Interestingly even though I praise LQ in my review, I mention that I prefer Guardian War over it.

You've good taste in rpgs. Skies of Arcadia and Super Mario rpg are 2 of my favorites! :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:41 am

What? Those are the two worst RPGs ever made, Trev.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:45 am

(I only kid)

Oh #)(*, double post!

*braces for the ban request*

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:50 am

Failure to use a wink Emoticon to signify kidding/joking/sarcasm, etc... warrants a ban request.*

* :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:30 am

Austin wrote:*braces for the ban request*
Incoming.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:18 am

Our 3DO Experience can kick your 3DO Experience's ass.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 am

Where's the new ban request image?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 am

Didn't want to waist it.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 am

Yeah, it really looks better on the lapel, anyway.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 am

I have read that Guardian War is more of a strategy game such as Age of Empires, is this true or is it an RPG like Skies of Arcadia or Super Mario RPG Final Fantasy etc...

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:28 am

Calavera wrote:I have read that Guardian War is more of a strategy game such as Age of Empires, is this true or is it an RPG like Skies of Arcadia or Super Mario RPG Final Fantasy etc...
Age of Emprires is more of a Real Time Strategy Game. Guardian War is a Strategy RPG where your characters are on a grid. Certain spells and attacks will only reach a certain amount of spaces out, so there's a "strategy" element on top of other basic turn-based RPG elements, like HP, MP, and gaining experience points to level-up. Other examples that fall into the same category are Mystaria and Shining Force III on the Saturn.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 am

I just tried Luciennes Quest and at first it seemed like it was going to be pretty good, then I exited the tower. I have only made it from the tower to the first colony, but I plan on going back and putting a little more time into before I decide if I like it or not. So far it seems that there are way too many random battles, also I'm not sure if I like the battle system, what with you having to attack a tree to be able to attack the enemy sometimes.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:54 am

LQ's battles in the overworld are a bit numerous (like most rpgs from that time actually) but the dungeon battles are not nearly as bad. They aren't random, there are pre-determined spots. You can explore w/out worrying about a fight every 5 seconds.

The battle system was fairly unique back in the day, using obstacles like trees & such. It will grow on you I bet. They come in handy when you are trying to be defensive.