Foiled in Alone in the Dark II

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Foiled in Alone in the Dark II

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:44 am

Today I finished Alone in the Dark in the 3DO and was delighted to play its sequel, Alone in the Dark II, but unfortunately the first 10 minutes of play was really a frustrating ordeal . Whenever you travel on the screen, the console small loads to load the next camera, making the game is slow and annoying. Turning off the music that changed a little boring but still continues.

Do not know if I burned the iso is not good or even if this version is crap :cry:

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:05 am

The loading in the 3DO Alone in the Dark II is awful, not to mention the framerate inconsistencies (perhaps caused by constant in-game loading?) hurt the feel of it, too. I often wonder how people have managed to make it through it. Sure, the original was pretty sluggish compared to the PC original, but it was far from unplayable and the 3DO additions (remixed soundtrack and voice acting) sort of made up for it. The sequel takes these faults to the next level though, times ten.. :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 am

For what it's worth, the Saturn version is also virtually unplayable. (The Playstation version too, from what I've heard.) It would seem the developers responsible for porting the game just didn't take any pride in their work.

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 am

Martin III wrote:For what it's worth, the Saturn version is also virtually unplayable. (The Playstation version too, from what I've heard.) It would seem the developers responsible for porting the game just didn't take any pride in their work.
It is very sad to be aware of it :cry:

Even with all these defects, I want to buy both as soon as possible.
Too bad Alone in the Dark III has not been released for home consoles.

The old west theme pleases me very much. Combined with a horror game. :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 pm

The 3DO version of AitD 2 is awful, but the PS1 version is ugly and awful. Texture maps for the sake of texture maps.

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:00 am

3DOKid wrote:The 3DO version of AitD 2 is awful, but the PS1 version is ugly and awful. Texture maps for the sake of texture maps.
So to say that the PS1 version is graphically inferior to the 3DO?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Not really. Technically is better, actually it's ugly

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Edi (FZ2D) wrote:
3DOKid wrote:The 3DO version of AitD 2 is awful, but the PS1 version is ugly and awful. Texture maps for the sake of texture maps.
Aesthetically I'd say so. The problem was that they slapped texture maps on to the same low polygon models that were used for every other version. By the time of the PS1 and Saturn those models were technically poor, and their stylized look did not jibe with the paint jobs that they recieved.

Ideally the developers should have gone back and created new, better animated, higher polygon models, but instead went for the cheap option and as Edi said put on texture maps for the sake of texture maps. Oh, and the 3DO utterly kills the Saturn version as far as music is concerned, the PSX I'm not so sure about as I don't have too much experience with it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:15 pm

I totally agree. When I played Alone in the Dark was begging for more but a lot of the style and elegance of the original was gone in the dreadful sequel. (sequels?)

Anyone played the most modern incarnation on PS3/Xbox?
Silanda wrote:
Edi (FZ2D) wrote:
Aesthetically I'd say so. The problem was that they slapped texture maps on to the same low polygon models that were used for every other version. By the time of the PS1 and Saturn those models were technically poor, and their stylized look did not jibe with the paint jobs that they recieved.

Ideally the developers should have gone back and created new, better animated, higher polygon models, but instead went for the cheap option and as Edi said put on texture maps for the sake of texture maps. Oh, and the 3DO utterly kills the Saturn version as far as music is concerned, the PSX I'm not so sure about as I don't have too much experience with it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

3DOKid wrote:I totally agree. When I played Alone in the Dark was begging for more but a lot of the style and elegance of the original was gone in the dreadful sequel. (sequels?)
I agree here. My first experience with AITD2 was on the 3DO. Needless to say, I didn't get very far. When I got it on both the Saturn and PlayStation down the road, I figured the smoother playing experience would have changed my outlook on it.

Nope. No go on that.

I think you put it best--the style and elegance was gone. I mean, immediately at the start of the game they toss you into an area littered with guys that have firearms.

The simple exploration factor of the original was replaced with more of a fear of being shot at. That was a huge part of the first game--exploring the desolate mansion. Sort of being intrigued in the process. Of course there were battles, but there was a greater focus on exploration in the first one.

I also prefer the mysticism/spiritual/ghostly horror style of the original over the gangster-driven style of the second. Part III on the computer didn't help that issue much either, taking place in a Wild West setting.
3DOKid wrote:Anyone played the most modern incarnation on PS3/Xbox
I watched some reviews on it when it came out and saw a friend play it. It's, um.. Yeah. I have no idea why they called it Alone in the Dark.

I do have what is technically part IV, "The New Nightmare" on the Dreamcast. It was a step in the right direction for the time and features some awesome lighting effects--very impressive for when it came out. But it's more Resident Evil than anything. Asides from your character name and some of the same people having worked on it, it doesn't have a lot to do with the original trilogy.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 pm

When I first played AITD on 3DO, it played so poorly I thought my disc was defective ...

I've actually been curious about part 3 (I actually think the change of scenery might be a good thing) Haven't played it yet though.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 am

Yeah, the first AITD on the 3DO was choppy compared to the computer original, but it was still playable, and the CD soundtrack and new voice acting at parts made up for it. AITD2 on the 3DO, on the other hand.. Completely unplayable, to me anyway. :lol:

As far as Part III on the PC, I didn't give it a lot of time but it didn't seem to appealing, the zombie cowboys and all. I've got it from GOG.com and should probably give it more time (the whole trilogy together is $6, for anyone curious).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:30 am

I'm a big fan of GOG.com. I'm watching the download counter ... when they hit 6 mil there giving away Broken Sword (original & DC) for free. Even though I already have 4 different versions, I'm still excited!

Sorry for the slight derail ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:34 am

I loved Alone In the Dark. I also bought #2 a few months later. I found Alone in the Dark 2 very frustrating. But I loved 3D so much that I was able to slog through the awful gameplay and pathetic puzzles. Also, the music kicked some serious ass, and for that reason it's one of the games I use periodically when testing 4DO! :)

I never played the third, but Alone in the Dark 3 is in the "Lets Play Archive" and is a good laugh. If you can believe it, I'd say it's even more bizzare than the second. If I remember right, it's also much longer.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 am

The ballroom sequence was epic in the first game.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 pm

3DOKid wrote:Anyone played the most modern incarnation on PS3/Xbox?
It's not good. It's not really Alone in the Dark but somewhere there is the kernel of a decent game. Unfortunately it's buried under bad controls and frustrating gameplay, which can all be skipped if you use the game's one unique feature that just allows you to skip to the next part of the game. Most people will probably end up skipping to the end. It could have been good, the object combining mechanic had potential, but it feels like it was at least 6 months to a year from being ready for prime time.