Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Lost files of Sherlock Holmes

Post by Jones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am

Hi guys,

I am currently playing this Sherlock Holmes adventure - what are the
general opinions concerning this game?

I kinda like it - nice atmosphere, decent dialogues, only the music annoys a bit and the gameplay tempo could be a bit faster.

Interesting: I remember that I've checked this game out before years ago
on my PAL 3DO, but the sound has been totally asynchronous to the pictures.
On my NTSC machine everything's fine now - all that's left are clipping noises that tend to happen every now and then, probably because of that bug within the FZ-1's BIOS?

Best regards,
Jones

grand_barbare
3DO ZERO USER

Post by grand_barbare » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm

playing the PAL version, I had the same problems of sound and voice offset

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 am

This game is brilliant ! (much like the Homes character himself) It's a shame we never talk about. :(

Of course, if you don't love point n click games, this won't change your mind. And being a fan of Conan Doyle's novels helps. For me, I love both the style of game, and its literary source, so it's a pefect match.

One of the best thing I can say about this game is that it is true to its source. I feel like I'm able to solve puzzles by actually thinking like Holmes, rather than randomly clicking on every item in my inventory til I get a result.

Like you said, the atmosphere is strong. I feel it really is successful in capturing the flavor of London in the late 1800's. The voice acting too is top notch.

If I had to pick my 5 favorite poin n' click games, this would probably make the cut. I hold it in that high regard. :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:28 am

never played this game on any system, and the only sherlock holmes things ive read/watched was Data on STNG being sherlock, and the movie that just came out with robert downey jr :D

but i do like point and click games, and ive played one of the worst ones The Adventures of Willy Beamish on the Sega CD
i also played Dragon Lore ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:09 am

I need to pick this up...adventure games are my all time favorite genre, and anything 3DO that I haven't played and is good should be in my collection

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Excellent game that really needed a sequel, even if not on the 3DO.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:04 pm

It actually has a sequel!
Sherlock Holmes and "The Case of the Rose Tattoo", but only released
for MS-Dos PCs in 1996.

BTW: Is "The Case of the Serrated Scalpel" actually based on a real
Sherlock Holmes novel? The whole story and dialogues read quite
original Holme-ish to me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:58 pm

The game is not based on an original novel or short story. But I agree, I think it is very true to the source.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

Lemmi wrote:never played this game on any system, and the only sherlock holmes things ive read/watched was Data on STNG being sherlock, and the movie that just came out with robert downey jr :D

but i do like point and click games, and ive played one of the worst ones The Adventures of Willy Beamish on the Sega CD
i also played Dragon Lore ;)

Are you kidding me??? Willy Beamish is a great game! I played it on PC back in the day and loved it. I've been meaning to get a Sega CD copy to relive it.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 am

Is the 3DO game the same as the Sega CD version, or is it a completely new game (asides from vastly superior video quality)?
Mobius wrote:Are you kidding me??? Willy Beamish is a great game! I played it on PC back in the day and loved it. I've been meaning to get a Sega CD copy to relive it.
It's not that Beamish is a bad game, it's that the Sega CD version is plagued with loading issues. It takes forever just to get through a few lines of speech.. Ugh. I'm sure the PC version is great. :)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 am

Austin wrote:Is the 3DO game the same as the Sega CD version, or is it a completely new game (asides from vastly superior video quality)?
Mobius wrote:Are you kidding me??? Willy Beamish is a great game! I played it on PC back in the day and loved it. I've been meaning to get a Sega CD copy to relive it.
It's not that Beamish is a bad game, it's that the Sega CD version is plagued with loading issues. It takes forever just to get through a few lines of speech.. Ugh. I'm sure the PC version is great. :)
Well, the PC version was on floppy, so it didn't even have speech... But it did have Nintari!