Pre-Release article

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Pre-Release article

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:11 pm

This is a page of Game Pro (Jan '93) before the 3DO came out.

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Interesting little time capsule piece. If only we had that kind of non-jaded reporting these days. And if only it was about the M4 instead of the 720.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 am

That's brilliant. I agree, the article seems genuinely enthusiastic. I think perhaps that is because 3DO (and jaguar et al) ushered in a new dawn for gaming. The leap from 16bit (Amiga, SNES, MD, etc) to 32 bit was astonishing.

I think once we have stomached through PS4, 720, and Wiiii, i think gaming will have another dawn. 10, 15 years from now :)

By then bandwidth will be so freely available, processing power so massive and cheap, and your web browser so all encompassing, that you will log-in into Live!, PSN or Nintendo (or whatever) and you will run your games centrally. Cloud based gaming to put corporate speak to it. You will pay $30 per month (perhaps more) to connect and you will play your games like that. You won't own a console, it will be truly an appliance that plays movies, songs, pictures, whatever, and it will be more inline with a toaster or VCR or stereo. You won't care about brand but likely MS, Samsung, Google will make them. You won't care about 3D either because TV's will be like wallpaper. :)

/Rant/

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 am

3DOKid wrote:That's brilliant. I agree, the article seems genuinely enthusiastic. I think perhaps that is because 3DO (and jaguar et al) ushered in a new dawn for gaming. The leap from 16bit (Amiga, SNES, MD, etc) to 32 bit was astonishing.

I think once we have stomached through PS4, 720, and Wiiii, i think gaming will have another dawn. 10, 15 years from now :)

By then bandwidth will be so freely available, processing power so massive and cheap, and your web browser so all encompassing, that you will log-in into Live!, PSN or Nintendo (or whatever) and you will run your games centrally. Cloud based gaming to put corporate speak to it. You will pay $30 per month (perhaps more) to connect and you will play your games like that. You won't own a console, it will be truly an appliance that plays movies, songs, pictures, whatever, and it will be more inline with a toaster or VCR or stereo. You won't care about brand but likely MS, Samsung, Google will make them. You won't care about 3D either because TV's will be like wallpaper. :)

/Rant/
You're behind the times, Kid. This already exists. http://www.onlive.com/

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 am

Mobius wrote:
3DOKid wrote:That's brilliant. I agree, the article seems genuinely enthusiastic. I think perhaps that is because 3DO (and jaguar et al) ushered in a new dawn for gaming. The leap from 16bit (Amiga, SNES, MD, etc) to 32 bit was astonishing.

/Rant/
You're behind the times, Kid. This already exists. http://www.onlive.com/
Wow. It will fail. But wow. I'm always out of date.