PAL games on NTSC-J console?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Karny
3DO ZERO USER

PAL games on NTSC-J console?

Post by Karny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am

Hi there...

I've recently sold my unboxed PAL FZ-1 and bought a (probably very overpriced) boxed JAP FZ-10.

I must say that I'm really glad I did. The pads alone are a massive improvement and full screen, full speed gaming is definitely the way forward.

That said, I've just tried to play my old copy of Way of the Warrior and I've got a message up on the screen saying that I need the NTSC version! I thought there were only a few Jap games that didn't play on the PAL machines, not the other way around?

Does anyone else know of any PAL games that won't run on Jap/NTSC 3DOs? I will need to be more careful when buying games!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am

This is the first I have heard of this. weird. I was under the assumption that most of the games in english would run in NTSC or PAL depending on what kinda of system they were played in.

Karny
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Karny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 am

That was my understanding too!

The weird thing is WotW says that I will need a US NTSC version... even thought I have a Japanese system.

I guess it doesn't care the country, only the format. :roll:

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:40 am

That does seem odd.

I've got a japanese FZ-1 on the way so I guess I'll be going through my UK games collection to see what works. I know UK Soccer Kid, Burning soldier, Wolfenstein 3D and Powers Kingdom don't work on my US FZ1s.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:40 am

WotW is one, I think Wolfenstein 3D or DOOM was another. It was brought up in a much older thread.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 am

This is weird. I have the US NTSC version of WoW, it even has the USD$ price on it, but works fine on my Japanese 3DO and my UK PAL one. I hate it when they do this.