Korean 3DO releases?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Korean 3DO releases?

Post by Austin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 am

I was looking for 3DO games on eBay and I found two really cheap, complete, Korean releases. They had the long boxes and everything. I have never personally bothered to look into the Korean releases, and I am curious now--Are all of the releases "big box" games like our US titles, or are there some that are strictly jewel cased games like the Japanese releases? Also, were there any cool exclusives in Korea? And I am extra curious, how well did the system perform over there?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 am

Have you got a link?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah, a link would really help. I've a feeling they aren't Korean releases though.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:17 pm

The seller claims they are, and the pictures seem pretty revealing to me. Let me know what you guys think. Anyone else have any other info on Korean release (if there is any info out there, anyway!). :)

Shock Wave:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Gex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

*edit: the up-close images won't load now. I wonder if the seller already deleted them from wherever he was hosting them. You can still see a front picture from each in the auction photo box though.

**Double edit: It seems FireFox is being lame.. The extra photos come up fine in Internet Explorer.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Trev wrote:Yeah, a link would really help. I've a feeling they aren't Korean releases though.
They are looking at them pictures. It's definately Korean writing on them.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Bitrate is the one to ask on Korean titles I think.

I've never seen these particular ones as Korean releases, so that is cool . The big Korean games to watch out for are the ones exclusive to that market like Battle Blues, Eye of Typhoon, Firewall, etc...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Could you post the pictures outside ebay ? The auction is blocked from outside the US.
But according to the descriptions made here, I assume they are legit. 3DO Korean games have been released in the same big box than the US titles. I have some.
Most of the exclusive titles got a jewel case but inside a cardboard box of the approx same size as the US big box.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:19 pm

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:20 am

Here are a few more pics of those games:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Here's my Korean Crash 'n Burn longbox:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:06 am

Nice!! :)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 am

You Can Fake Expensive Pant But Not Car
Squeeze Another Twenty-Seven Cent From Sale of Son's Game Collection
Screw Tenants!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 pm

When dumping an Image of the disc, do they end up being the same disc images, just with koren printed on them?

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Damn,i am looking for these for soooooooo llooonggg.... :(((

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:17 am

Most likely the games have Korean text in the actual game. I am very interested in if GEX has his voice dubbed as well. Maybe he will share these games with us. :wink:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 am

3DO Experience wrote:Most likely the games have Korean text in the actual game. I am very interested in if GEX has his voice dubbed as well. Maybe he will share these games with us. :wink:
I will do some usual gameplay/talk videos, at least of Gex, so we will see if it's in English or not. :)

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm

I also have Crash'n Burn, and Pebble beach golf links and Guardian war.
If I remember my tests when I got them, they are 100% the US game, no more, no less.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm

I remember hearing that before. Would be interesting to see if all the Korean releases are like that.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:44 am

All right, I received both of them in the mail today (Coincedentally, I hooked up the FZ-10 earlier in the day before receiving them).

I didn't get to Shockwave, but I tested Gex before heading to work. For the most part, the game itself is the same as the US version (Title screen, score, lives, menus, etc., all in english). However, the help menus (when you activate the Question marks) are in Korean (I'm assuming), the intro cutscene is now voice-acted in Korean, and there are no movie quotes. I still have to look in the options to see if there's a way to activate them, but I doubt it.

I got a crappy video capture card in the mail today (it was free).. I tried fiddling with it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with my OS. If I can get it functioning though, I'll get a capture of the intro and the first level or so of gameplay.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 am

Great to know Gex has been translated.
I just retested Guardian War and Pebble Beach Golf Links: completely in English, no Korean written or spoken :(

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:47 am

very interesting on the Korean Gex. I'll have to remember that knowledge... somehow. lol.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 pm

All right, so I finally got around to trying Shockwave. Guess what? Same deal as Gex. Game text is in English (more-so than Gex, I believe), but all of the voice acting is done in the foreign language. I really feel like I'm watching an old Godzilla movie when I play this one.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 pm

great! :D you are so lucky on these ones :wink:

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:38 am

Wow, the last post was in October? Has time really gone by that fast?? :shock:

Prior to shipping these out, I got some footage together and finally got the video of them uploaded tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQS-sDTk-Q

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 am

Nice to see there are still some people out there collecting 3DO. Anyone from back in the day still around? There was a fighting game from Korea I wanted to play, but it is outrageously expensive on the rare occasion it pops up. :wink: I think the Kid has it too! Then again, he seems to have everything.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Nice to see there are still some people out there collecting 3DO. Anyone from back in the day still around?

I think everyone who used to be here is still here.

T2KFreeker wrote:There was a fighting game from Korea I wanted to play, but it is outrageously expensive on the rare occasion it pops up. :wink: I think the Kid has it too! Then again, he seems to have everything.

The Eye of Typhoon.

PS - Haven't seen you in a while. Good to hear from you again.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:10 am

bitrate wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Nice to see there are still some people out there collecting 3DO. Anyone from back in the day still around?

I think everyone who used to be here is still here.

T2KFreeker wrote:There was a fighting game from Korea I wanted to play, but it is outrageously expensive on the rare occasion it pops up. :wink: I think the Kid has it too! Then again, he seems to have everything.

The Eye of Typhoon.

PS - Haven't seen you in a while. Good to hear from you again.
Yeah well things have been crazy for quite some time. Hopefully this time things are quieting down and I can be here. Haven't been on JSII as much as I used to be either. Yes, The Eye of Typhoon. I so need that one. Cool looking game.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Someone just posted a comment on my video saying that the Gex intro is actually in Japanese. Strange.. Do the Korean's even understand Japanese? It's not even subtitled. :?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Austin wrote:Someone just posted a comment on my video saying that the Gex intro is actually in Japanese. Strange.. Do the Korean's even understand Japanese? It's not even subtitled. :?
As interesting as it is, and funny too, it seems the Japanese know everything. Every Japanese person I have met speaks at least three languages. I'm not saying it is actually like that everywhere, but they aren't as lazy as us USA guys are. Our answer to everything is that you live in America so speak english. :roll:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Austin wrote:Someone just posted a comment on my video saying that the Gex intro is actually in Japanese. Strange.. Do the Korean's even understand Japanese? It's not even subtitled. :?
In your video the text at 4:16 is actually Japanese I can see the Hiragana.

But the text on the CD and on the box is Korean. The only way I know that is because unlike Chinese and Japanese, Korean text has lots of little circle in it.

Japanese Hiragana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

Korean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_alphabet

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm

It seems as though only the Korean exclusives (The Eye of Typhoon / Armageddon / Battle Blues / Firewall) used Korean speech in the games.

The multi-region games, while using Korean text on the box / jewel case / manual / disk, went ahead and used 1:1 Japanese game data - or so it seems.