What 3DO games were system sellers?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

What 3DO games were system sellers?

Post by Trev » Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 am

Titles that made people actually go out and buy a 3DO ...

Top choices

Gex
Road Rash

Second tier

Fifa
Need for Speed
Return Fire
Shockwave
Super Street Fighter II

Way of the Warrior :oops:

Sellers for genre fans

John Madden Football
Slam n Jam
Slayer
Wing Commander 3

Agree? Disagree? Either way (w/few exceptions) this is a fine list w/many award winning titles and all (except SFII) were 3DO console exclusives at the time! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 17, 2010 5:42 am

I think you can move Gex down and move NFS up. In the UK platformers were either kiddy games and/or Gex wasn't Mario or Sonic. It was a great game but not a system seller.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 am

So Fifa is a seller but other sports games are niche?

Me, I mostly bought the system because it was fifty bucks. Road Rash was the main attraction, as was Guardian War... until I actually played it.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Mon May 17, 2010 2:10 pm

In my oppinion the reasons to buy a 3DO at the time were.

Need for Speed or Road Rash

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon May 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I bought a 3do for Gex... I was not disappointed! But then I picked up Star Control 2 mostly because it was $20. Why they didn't push that game more was beyond me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon May 17, 2010 2:34 pm

3DOKid wrote:I think you can move Gex down and move NFS up. In the UK platformers were either kiddy games and/or Gex wasn't Mario or Sonic. It was a great game but not a system seller.
True, but the UK was 3DO's weakest market no? Here in the U.S. atleast platformers were still hot in the early/mid 90's. And Gex is far and away the best selling 3DO game ever depite launching while Crash n' burn was still the pack-in game.

I love NFS, but I think Road Rash got more attention in this neck of the woods thanks to having a history w/Genesis/mega Drive owners. Also, lots o' licenced band music too which got it positive press. NFS is better though.
So Fifa is a seller but other sports games are niche?
Ita an opinion ... I was going mainly on sale figures of which Fifa is the best selling sports game for the console. (also, awards, universally gushing praise, and such) I think there is a reason Fifa was ultimately selected as a pack-in w/Goldstar.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Beef Supreme
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Beef Supreme » Mon May 17, 2010 4:38 pm

road rash got me interested , killing time got me to seal the deal and buy one , it probably helped that my neighbor had one since 3do first came out , but once he started hogging killing time I had to get one for myself .

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

in 1997 the only reason i got the system was because it was $40
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 am

Personally I got into the 3do just before it's death knell. So unlike some esteemed individuals in this forum I did not get it on day release or when interest was at its highest. :?

All my 3do's (I've killed one of them-the Goldstar) have been second hand packages from ebay or trading posts. This has resulted in me doubling up on some games and from this I can gleam that games which enticed the original owners were games like Need for Speed, Road Rash and Wing Commander III. :idea:

My awareness of the 3do was actually enlightened by a magazine review for Immercenary. :P