Doom - I was wrong.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Doom - I was wrong.

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I now have this game on Jaguar, 3DO, PC, SNES and PS1 and having stuck it out, I now 17 years after the event, appreciate just how good it was. it's actually quite brilliant.

I've been thinking, was the poor conversion pretty detrimental to the 3DO? I think it was. More than perhaps I first thought.

The reason for this change of heart is that I have been playing all the FPS on the 3DO and it's a head and shoulders above even the best 3DO game. (Killing Time?)

Refresh my memory, what's other peoples thoughts?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

I always liked Doom, but didn't get nearly as into it as others. I guess my problem is that I never bought the full version -- I just played the shareware episode all the time. It wasn't until the Xbox 360 port that I played the full thing, and man -- it really is brilliant.

There are PC versions with added bells and whistles like full mouselook and 3D character models, but I don't think the game needs it.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 am

I love Doom. It was one of my favorite games back in the day, especially, Doom 2. But... the 3do version is flat out terrible, it saddened me as a 3do owner back in the day.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

I always like 3DO Doom because of its awesome music. BTW, does japan release of 3DO Doom exists?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 am

Yes, DOOM is indeed brilliant.

The 3DO version, not so much.. Unless you want to shrink the screen size down to about three inches wide (Recommend playing it on a 60" television, in that case ;)).

Anyways, better late than never, 3DOkid. :D

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 am

I'm reading Masters of Doom right now. Carmack was heavily involved doing all the ports for Wolfenstein after Burger Bill Heineman (sp?) fucked up. It doesn't mention much about how Doom was ported, or if id had any hand in it. As I recall, the 3DO port was done by an outside company I don't think I'd heard about before or since. TO THE INTERNET!

Logicware and Art Data...

Logicware mostly did ports and then leaped into Mac development as soon as this became a bad idea. They had this at the end of their farewell message in 2000:

"We never did any embedded systems or industrial control, really, we were drunk, it was dark, lies all damned lies! Good night everybody! Logicware is located east of Los Angeles in Covina, California in a strip mall. We're surrounded by accountants, they evicted the fortune teller long ago, and there's this shoe guy. We keep an eye on him. At this point our office serves mainly to house the cat."

Art Data is only credited for DOOM 3DO, Rise of the Robots, and Chess Wars. Their website has subsequently been squatted, presumably by somebody who smoked enough crack to think this was a good idea.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:31 pm

I opened up and played Doom for the 32X last night. I was actually suprised that it was not so bad as people say that it is. I think people are just spoiled with the newer 1st person shooters. I have yet to try the 3DO version, and it sounds like I shouldnt.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 pm

It's way below par. Play the jag version and imagine you can hear things.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 pm

For anyone interested, we had a good size thread discussing Art Data's involvment in the port of Doom to the 3DO here:

LINK

In essence, ADI had to rewrite the entire Doom engine which they had not expected would be necessary.
They also added features to the 3DO port that other consoles of the time didn't have.
At the end of the thread I posted a video of the (then) President of ADI discussing the release of 3DO Doom in the Japanese market.
Last edited by bitrate on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 am

bitrate
So, did ADI released Doom in Japan?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:14 pm

i always liked doom 3do since i never played it on another system. 8)