Elder-Geek Gaming Show does two episodes on the 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

JLPW
3DO ZERO USER

Elder-Geek Gaming Show does two episodes on the 3DO

Post by JLPW » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Last edited by JLPW on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 am

No fifa
No Madden
No Space Hulk
No Road Rash

Balks at price then compares Wing III to X-wing which was was available on twice as costly PC's mmmmmmmmmmm.

Whilst the fact that there were some positives I am still in awe of many reviewers ineptitude when it comes to commenting on gaming in the 90's.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Maybe someone needs to write a book to set things straight :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

JLPW
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JLPW » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Well I played Wing 3 last week and it was slowwwww and boring. And Hobbes wouldn't shut up. I much preferred X-Wing. It was *just* sim enough but offered awesome arcade gameplay.

Not to say that Wing 3 isn't good--it is.

And sorry for not including Fifa, Madden, Space Hulk, and Road Rash: I had to keep it under 10 minutes to post it on YouTube.

Let's face it--the 3DO is a complicated system. A full feature length documentary couldn't truly do it justice so forgive me for glossing over some stuff in under 10 minutes.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:45 pm

And sorry for not including Fifa, Madden, Space Hulk, and Road Rash: I had to keep it under 10 minutes to post it on YouTube.
Even 30 seconds highlighting the fact that 3DO had some ground breaking sports ames would have been nice - Foes of Ali although , slow , had amazing graphics for the time and was the fore runner to the successful fight night series.As opposed to just playing Zhadnost's intro.

I also took exception to the Killing Time review - there ARE killer chefs and mummies in the game and whilst none of them are armed with spines they are certainly armed with cleavers and other weapons. Some of the harder sections (without the FMV) move along at a reasonable speed and provide quite an FPS challenge.

The constant gripe that it was the 3DO's price that killed it is an easy regurgitation of uneducated reports - it is more that its business model killed it. It was less than half the price of a PC and played a lot of PC only type titles that older gamers were looking for - it was aimed at the 18+ market not kids as you constantly referred. Its business model also left the subject of marketing in the air - which meant that there was none really to speak of outside of the targeted US & Japanese markets. Then there were some hardware stuff ups by importers in countries like Australia which are on 240V and PAL but a 240V NTSC was released which meant that only customers with a top of the line multi-system TV could actually use it! It also suffered an identity crisis of sorts - many consumers in the West considered it a Japanese machine due to its manufacturers and in the East it was considered very American.

Once again I applaud your effort at attempting to portray an even analysis but you have fallen into the same traps that every other reviewer has. The wealth of information on the net is history written in retrospect - those of us who were there and bought on first release know a little more.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:03 am

Just a bit formulaic isn't it? and it's like Japan never happened. Although we're on the same page with Cyberdillo. But you put Hell in the good game pile...

(I actually laughed at some of the Zhadnost scenes: Comrade Host -- well i thought it was funny)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Just watched the 1st video. I appreciate the effort you put into, and I do agree w/you on a few points like the awesomeness of SCII & Return Fire (though certainly not the consoles most popular title)

You've taken a bold stand w/your dismissal of Wing 3 though, and it is a lonely side of the fence to be on ...

You did get some facts wrong, but that is to be expected by those who joined the 3DO party late (keep hanging out here, to get the real truth ... both good & bad)

Looking forward to the 2nd vid ...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:21 am

I don't want to come off as being rude, but I've learned the best way to watch most game/console reviews it muted.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

MrAshDarksideTM
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MrAshDarksideTM » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:20 am

3DO Experience wrote:I don't want to come off as being rude, but I've learned the best way to watch most game/console reviews it muted.
Lol, I tend to agree.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:50 pm

mattyg wrote:
Even 30 seconds highlighting the fact that 3DO had some ground breaking sports ames would have been nice - Foes of Ali although , slow , had amazing graphics for the time and was the fore runner to the successful fight night series.As opposed to just playing Zhadnost's intro.

I also took exception to the Killing Time review - there ARE killer chefs and mummies in the game and whilst none of them are armed with spines they are certainly armed with cleavers and other weapons. Some of the harder sections (without the FMV) move along at a reasonable speed and provide quite an FPS challenge.

The constant gripe that it was the 3DO's price that killed it is an easy regurgitation of uneducated reports - it is more that its business model killed it. It was less than half the price of a PC and played a lot of PC only type titles that older gamers were looking for - it was aimed at the 18+ market not kids as you constantly referred. Its business model also left the subject of marketing in the air - which meant that there was none really to speak of outside of the targeted US & Japanese markets. Then there were some hardware stuff ups by importers in countries like Australia which are on 240V and PAL but a 240V NTSC was released which meant that only customers with a top of the line multi-system TV could actually use it! It also suffered an identity crisis of sorts - many consumers in the West considered it a Japanese machine due to its manufacturers and in the East it was considered very American.

Once again I applaud your effort at attempting to portray an even analysis but you have fallen into the same traps that every other reviewer has. The wealth of information on the net is history written in retrospect - those of us who were there and bought on first release know a little more.
It was released in PAL Land for about £399. Which was the same price the Saturn launched at and the same price the Amiga and ST launched many years before.

Too little, too early. It need 3D capabilities. A nice early custom 3D accelerator and everything would have been forgiven.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I just finished watching the first review and I must say that it had a nice flow to it. Overall, a nice style to the video.

However... :wink:

1. You said that there were only 3 versions of the 3DO released in the US which is not correct.
You neglected to mention the Creative 3DO Blaster.

2. You mentioned that there were a little over 150 games (not including educational or adult titles) available for the 3DO. You should have qualified this statement by saying available in the US. Not including adult or educational titles, there are at least 335 games for the 3DO system.

3. mattyg touched on the Killing Time section, but I feel I also must say that you didn't put much effort in to that game. "All you do is kill ducks and hunters" - well, yes, in the first 5 minutes of the game. :?
If you didn't like the game and therefore didn't play far into it that's fine, but don't tell people that all you do is kill ducks and hunters when that is only the opening segment of the game.

4. You claim Lucienne's Quest is only known because it's the rarest game on the 3DO. It's not even close to being the rarest game on the 3DO. It's not even the rarest game released in the US.
It demands high prices because it's one of a very few RPG's on the system and because it's good.

Overall, like I mentioned before, I enjoyed the flow of the review - there just seemed to be quite a few factual errors that marred it for me. I can understand if you didn't like the games or the system, but simple facts need to be correct before I can really enjoy the review.

I'll be checking out the second review shortly :D

By the way, $300 for that lot is one hell of a nice deal.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 pm

The only crime Luciennes Quest committed was that it was a wee bit short. It's got a good story and some nice characters. It must have been loved to an extent because it did make it on to the Saturn. (With a rather cool intro!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uj34OdtMCs

Having played FFVI and FFVII, and taking into account that the game was made by Microcabin (who became part of group called DOG, which in incorporated Square Soft) it does look like the evolutionary missing link between the two final fantasies.

It's pricey, but it doesn't deserve to be dismissed quite so off handedly.