List of all japanese games that don't work on PAL/US 3DOs.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DÖ
3DO ZERO USER

List of all japanese games that don't work on PAL/US 3DOs.

Post by 3DÖ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 am

I couldn't find any proper list in google of what japanese titles don't work on PAL/US 3dos so thats why I started this thread so hopefully people who has every jap 3do game out there can add more info to which titles that might not work, heres just a few that do not work:
JAP on US 3DO

Pack in Kodak Discover Photo CD Version 2 (possibly requires the vcd card)
Sword and Sorcery
Twinkle Knights
Alone in the Dark *Demo*
Blue Forest Monogatari (d'oh!)

EU on US 3DO

BattleChess
Way of the Warrior , I don't think anyone will cry over this one not working on a US 3do;)
I wonder if it could be possible to hack the images of one of these games so that it would boot on a US/PAL 3do but you would have to live with that the japanese text would be corrupt

Gamecube also used this system of storing the font in the bios so when you booted up a jap game the text would be corrupt but the game would be playable atleast.
Last edited by 3DÖ on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:09 am

I believe we have a thread for this already (or this topic came up in a thread)... do some hunting and you will find more games.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 am

Apologies for the necrobump, but I've done some nosing around on this topic, and it doesn't seem like a clear list has really been assembled. It'd be nice to have a single, clear reference in one place, rather than hunt around in different threads for the information.

Besides the games mentioned by the OP, some more are mentioned in this thread by 3DOKid:

Japanese games with region lockout messages on US 3DO consoles
Casper
Powers Kingdom (JPN version of Guardian Wars)
Soccer Kid

Japanese games that just crash or don't work on US 3DO consoles
Moon Cradle (??) (aka Iida Joji Nightmare Interactive: Moon Cradle - Igyou no Hanayome) (listed as a "maybe" in other thread, but this worked for me on a US FZ-1)
J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues (listed as a "maybe" in other thread?)
Yakyuuken Special (?) (read on another site that this one won't work on a non-Japanese 3DO?)

Are there more?

And: is there a master, cross-region, cross-model compatibility list lurking around somewhere that I don't know about? It'd be great to have a single list that has all the compatibility and region issues in one place, so that an Ebay purchase decision doesn't require a half-hour of research first.
Last edited by goldenband on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

goldenband wrote:It'd be great to have a single list that has all the compatibility and region issues in one place, so that an evilbay purchase decision doesn't require a half-hour of research first.
+1 to that!

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 am

Austin wrote:+1 to that!
:D

BTW I'd read elsewhere on the forums that a Russian guy had patched Blue Forest Story to run on non-Japanese hardware. I've found the patched file, and can confirm that it boots and seems to run properly on my US FZ-1. (I didn't try actually playing the game yet, since it's in Japanese and I can't do much past "hai" and "iie".)

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 am

FWIW, I tried Moon Cradle out today and didn't have any problem with it on a US FZ-1. Of course I didn't really know what I was doing (beyond lounging around my character's apartment), but everything seemed to work.

I'll give Blue Chicago Blues a shot at some point. Are there any other games that deserve a spot on the problem list?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: List of all japanese games that don't work on PAL/US 3DO

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:37 am

These I have personally confirmed.

Alone in the Dark *Demo* I Don't have it
Battle Chess PAL I Don't have it
Blue Forest Monogatari FREEZES
Casper Japanese I Don't have it
J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues I Don't have it
Moon Cradle WORKS
Pack in Kodak Discover Photo CD Version 2 Never Starts
Powers Kingdom WORKS
(Great) Soccer Kid WORKS
Sword and Sorcery *Demo* MADE NOT TO WORK
Sword and Sorcery MADE NOT TO WORK
Twinkle Knights MADE NOT TO WORK
Way of the Warrior MADE NOT TO WORK
Yakyuuken Special WORKS

So we need someone to personally confirm: Alone in the Dark *Demo*, Battle Chess PAL, Casper Japanese & J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues. Please help me on this.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Nice thread btw!

If possible, it would be great to create some sort of cross-reference information that is true across all regions

PAL titles that don't work on JP/US 3DO's
US titles that don't work on JP/PAL 3DO's
JP titles that don't work on US/PAL 3DO's

For example, I had in my possession for a week, a JP 3DO and own PAL only titles. Of which, I surprised that Wolfenstein wouldn't work on it. I suspect Wolfenstein wouldn't work on a US 3DO either (etc).

Or, perhaps someone has a link to something similar?

Either way, as (arguably) the only semi-active 3DO community on the internet, it woul dbe great to be able to pool our knowledge and resources to create such information.

IMO :wink:

Incidentally, I'm still after a complete list of PAL 3DO releases, if anyone has one? Find it pretty hard to believe that not one person does, if I'm honest.

-

EDIT: Just to add to what I said above, earlier...

A thread I started that elicited zero response: http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/forums/3 ... f=2&t=3047

And the nearest we ever got to anything remotely definitive for PAL releases: http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/forums/3 ... f=2&t=3041

baku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by baku » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Kamachis Museum doesn't work on US console.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 am

baku wrote:Kamachis Museum doesn't work on US console.
Hey, thanks for letting us know. Can anyone confirm?

Another one to add to the list: Nice Body All-Star Suiei Taikai, which according to Trev's review is partially incompatible with non-Japanese 3DOs (it crashes if you try to access certain parts of the game).